IGNORED

What is under your butt?

eddd

Stock or Aftermarket   

645 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aftermarket seats seem to be high on many riders "must have" list. Got me to wondering how many are still riding with the stock seat vs an aftermarket.

I still have my stock seat and have no real issues with it, even after an 1100 mile day. I think part of that is my mountain biking. A butt that can take 100 miles in a day on a mountain bike seat can surely find comfort on a stock seat. blush.gif

I've been riding on nothing but Russell Day-Long Saddles for the past 15 years. There are other good saddles out there. There is only one that delivers me the long-distance comfort I'm looking for.

My combo of a Sargent and an Alaska Leather Buttpad got me through a SS1000. I wouldn't have tried that on the stock saddle, or on the Sargent alone.

I answered "aftermarket" because I just got a Sargent low seat for my '07 R1200RT. After a couple of 4-500 mile trips, I am convinced that the stock seat should be banned by the Geneva Convention. I have a trip to Austin (from Colo Springs) planned for next week (850 miles to Austin, another 1000 round trip from Austin to Big Bend National Park from Austin and then the return 850 miles to Colorado Springs). I should have a pretty good idea if I like the new seat by the time I return.

Sargent seat for the RT...but I found a nice gel saddle-pad at an equestrian tack-shop which fits perfectly and adds a lot of comfort.

I've got eBay Corbins on my K bikes.

Rocket_Cowboy

I've got the stock seat, but have used various covers over the seat pretty much since new. I've tried the Aerostich sheepskin pad, the Airhawk seat pad, and now my favorite is the BeadRider headed seat cover.

That's all well and good, but merely a temporary fix. My ride-in appointment with Russell Day-Long is set for Nov 29th when I'll get the whole thing done right once and for all.

i have yet to find a stock seat that i kept. ive tried everything. i use corbin mostly, but they are hard. i also just discovered the beadrider bead mats and they are great to improve a stock seat for only $35.00. Ultimately Id like to have a Russell day long saddle. I sat on one at a dealer but have not had time to send in my saddle to order. I also need a low saddle for my RT so I like Wunderlich low seats, but they are currently hard to get.

stubblejumper

I used corbin on previous bikes,but they don't offer one for my ST.I have my ST seat at a local shop that is reshaping it.If that doesn't work out,I will try to get to a custom builder next summer.

the stock seat should be banned by the Geneva Convention.

Best one I have heard yet!! lmao.gif

I now have a Rick Mayer seat that is much better than the stock and better than a Corbin. Still not there yet with comfort, guess it is my shape and age bncry.gif

Depends on which bike. The '89 GS has a Corbin. It was there when I got the bike. Otherwise it's be stock too.

I do use a AirHawk though, it may quailfy as a aftermarket !

Russell for the last 125k. Tried stock, stock comfort, and Sargent first. Would have been a whole lot cheaper to have bought the Russell first.

russell_bynum

On my RT, I had the stock "Comfort" saddle with seat jacks.

With that, I was good for at least 1300 mile days...I never tried to go longer than that, so I don't know where the actual upper-limit was.

Paul Mihalka

Russell Day-Longs on K75, K75RT, K1100LT, R1100RT, R1150R, and now R1200GS. Total about 600K miles. I guess I like them.

Russell Day-Longs on K75, K75RT, K1100LT, R1100RT, R1150R, and now R1200GS. Total about 600K miles. I guess I like them.

Only 600K? Are you sure you've been on them enough time to be sure? grin.gif

Bill "Rocky" Mayer Saddle (BMS). Quick build, good quality, reasonable price. Comfortably (with proper underoos) go 700+ miles. With addition of Alaska Sheepskin, in the summer I can go another 100+ miles.

I'm not a big fan of putting any more than that many miles on the bike in one day.

BTW, I had both the standard and comfort seats and they were not effective for much more than a couple hundred miles.

Mike O

1100RT - Stock seat with Alaska butt pad. Got the longhair one but would like to try the shorthair one. Underarmour long briefs + motorcyle pants. Stay away from jeans on long rides.

Russell seat on the RT which I really like.

Stock on the GS, but re-padded with new foam and changed the "slope saddle" shape.

Purchased a Russell Day Long seat for my K75RT, and purchased each of my next three bikes with this seat installed. Including the R1200RT I picked up last month. I love them.

Corbin seat on my RT, but only because it came with it grin.gif The bike wiped out my cash reserves, so I have time to decide if me and this particular seat are going to get along. The stock seat was horrible. After about 80 miles, I couldn't get off it quick enough.

Sargent. Best seat I've ever had. I'm gonna miss it as I'm selling my RT. Whatever bike I get to replace it I'm going to seriously consider getting a Sargent for it. They said the would custom make for any of my bikes.

I've got seats from Bill Mayer Saddles on both of my bikes. I did a ride-in with the V-Strom, and that seat is perfect. My BMW came with a BMS saddle from the previous owner, and that one is pretty close to perfect.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I had a Corbin n my K75 and now have a Russel on my RT. I have no complaints about either.

Rich

kingpinofdisks

Sargent Seat for my 07 K1200GT. The stock seat is sooooooo bad that we should get up a class action law suit against BMW for putting such crap underneath our butts.

I was going to buy an aftermarket seat but after 13K miles and a recent 13 hour day, it's starting to become a "thing" for me ... I can take it, I can take it ...

Anyone have a nice looking Corbin for sale?

Archived