IGNORED

Laminar LIP review

yechave

Many thanks to the person that offered this link the other day! Can't locate the original post to find your name.

http://www.laminarlip.com/r1100rt.php

This was suggested last week.....I ordered it the next day and installed it yesterday. This has worked out great!

Here are some pics (only good for 30 days): http://www.sendpix.com/albums/07100705/6tjvgt5lih/

Installation was nerve racking for me, only getting one chance to set it in place where you want it. Wearing trifocals, putting glasses on and off, and doing this in the hot sun, was a challenge.

I let it set in the sun for two hours before riding. I found the LIP only fit pretty much in one spot on the factory shield for maximum contact, as the Dual Locks were already on the LIP from the factory. I had wanted to install this a bit highter, but it worked out ok.

It added just over 1" of height to the shield, and all but eliminated all the unwanted wind buffeting. There was no noise, rattles or vibrations. An excellent product!

I can't say enough about the BMW electric windshield! My riding buddies were envious!

The LIP gets my recommendation.

My lip came off one time while driving. Whether i didnt install it right or the velcro wore out Im not sure, but Ididnt want it to happen again so i didnt reinstall it. i had it on a glod wing and only noticed minimal improvement. on my RT I have a v-tech and it is the best screen ive ever had on any bike: clear, no distortion if u have to look thru it, great protection, no backwash, no flopping around when fully extended.

I tried a "lip" on my GS and wasn't very impressed. It added too much turbulence. It is o.k. for under 55 mph and for dual-sporting.

Glad yours worked.

BluesTraveler

I had wanted to install this a bit highter, but it worked out ok.

It added just over 1" of height to the shield, and all but eliminated all the unwanted wind buffeting. There was no noise, rattles or vibrations. An excellent product!

I can't say enough about the BMW electric windshield! My riding buddies were envious!

The LIP gets my recommendation.

You did right with just the 1" over the stock windshield. Everyone seems to think higher is better with the LIP. You still want space/overlap between the LIP and the windshield for the Laminar effect. Creates a pressure zone between the two smoothing out the flow of air and pushing it up higher over the riders head.

Was the number 1 best improvement for my Honda ST1100 and now with the stock shield on my 04' R1150 GSA.

I've been a true believer and user of the Laminar LIP for years. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct on the LIP function. I had called Laminar this afternoon, since they did not reply to my e-mail with pics.

Here, I felt the factory placement of the connectors, did not allow me to raise the LIP high enough. Leo from CS, suggested I lower it, not raise it.

Seemed to me, when I sat in my normal upright position, I had just a bit too much buffeting. In a slightly slouched position, it was perfect.

Nonetheless, he again felt the LIP should be lowered 1/2".

For now, it is much better than it was. It is quite solidly mounted, and I don't want to risk moving it at this point.

Works really well with the helmet visor completely open. When closed, I get more air noise than I would like, but it is still much better than the factory shield.

All in all, a nice product!

milesandmiles

Looks like you did a nice job of installation Wayne. I'm looking at a laminar lip as well but I only get a 30 day trial and riding season is ending up here so I'll wait until spring when I can truely test it. Thanks for the testimonial. By the way, you mentioned you had to crouch a little with it. How tall are you? lurker.gif

I am 6' with a 29" inseam. Very long upper body. Otherwise, would be about 6'3"+, and, this would have been perfect for a normal 6' person.. on the other hand, they are saying to lower the LIP 1/5", so I don't know. It looks good, is very solid, and I am letting well enough alone. Very pleased with this.

BTW, my installation: I was not able to do a temp job with duct tape, clamps would not hold it in place for any test ride either. I ended up having my companion hold it in place, I then clamped both sides with very large spring clamps. Once I felt comfortable with this, an hour or more later, I removed the stick backing from the bottom of the first lock and lightly stuck that to the shield. I followed up with the remaining two locks on that side. I then pulled the LIP to the position it best fit the BMW shield and marked that with tape. When I felt good about that, I again removed only the bottom lock protection, and gently slid a small pocket knife inside the two shields to remove the remaining pieces of tape on the locks.

Once that was done, I put the two large clamps back on and left it bake in the sun for two hours. Road away that night, and its been great ever since.

I would not want to be without it, even if it were for the few remaining weeks this year. There may be other and better shield options, but this sure is an interesting alternative.

The other issue I ran into was, I needed handle bar mounted mirrors. They hit the LIP, and have to remember when making any tight turns to have the BMW shield all the way up. Not too bad, but enough that had I known that, I would have cut the LIP before installation.

Appreciate the compliment on the install.

Archived