IGNORED

Oil Change & R1200RT

p_interceptor

p_interceptor

Oil change and my R1200RT.

I have long lived with the theory; change the oil every 3-thousand miles. Reason, I tend to keep things forever and changing the oil is certainly a requirement for long engine life. That said, of late I have begun to doubt my own belief that 3-thousand mile oil changes are really necessary. After reading and digesting the following study:

Motorcycle Oil vs. Automotive Oils

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

and after a recent oil analysis by Blackstone Laboratories www.blackkstone-labs.net I have come to the conclusion that 3-thousand mile oil changes with motorcycle specific oils are a unnecessary expense. In the future I will change the oil in the R1200RT at 5-thousand mile intervals using Mobil1 Full Synthetic oil.

Any thoughts????

For many years I changed the oil in my cars every 3K for the same reasons you cite, and my cars always provided very long service life. However, with better oils and cleaner burning engines I now believe that oil change intervals can (and for environmental reasons probably should) be safely extended. I now change the oil every 5K miles in my cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I do the very first change MUCH earlier, and subsequently may change it earlier for severe service demands such as track time, towing, mostly shorter drives, or infrequent use of the vehicle. I do check the oil regularly and make sure it always stays at the full mark.

Interesting article in the link. The writer concludes that SG rated oils that "can be bought off the shelf" are as good as motorcycle-specific oils. However, this service rating is now obsolete. I think the latest standard is SL, which I believe BMW claims is not appropriate for its bikes. The debate continues.

By the way, I too have always liked Mobil 1 in my cars, though am tempted to switch to Castrol Syntec. I am still using BMW dino oil in my RT.

Jay

I stick to 6000 on my BMW because I ride quite a bit on freeways, don't do a lot of short trips, and it keep the oil change interval the same as the valve adjustment and just let the dealer do it. Also remember that this bike doesn't share the oil with the transmission.

I'll probably hold off on using synthetic until 12,000 miles to ensure hte engine is fully broken in first.

My car is more short trips, so I go with 5000.

I have come to the conclusion that 3-thousand mile oil changes with motorcycle specific oils are a unnecessary expense. In the future I will change the oil in the R1200RT at 5-thousand mile intervals using Mobil1 Full Synthetic oil.

Any thoughts????

I agree. I'll go father and say the 3K interval is obsolete on all day-to-day street vehicles. There just isn't any data to support it anymore. And oil analysis after analysis proves that out. The only thing the 3K interval benefits is the oil companies and the oil change places.
Exploreinman

My dealer (Blue Moon) here in Georgia has said every 6000 miles. I would think that if it needed to be done more frequently they and BMW would let me know. Afterall, I'm buying the parts and the oil from them so it would be to their pockets if it needed to be done more frequently.

BTW, I've run regular oil for the the first 17,000 miles, but I'm about to switch to synthetic.

Good Riding,

Archived