IGNORED

R1150RS Windscreen options?

Jimbozini

I need to replace the windscreen on my '03 RS. I'm 6'2'" and can only use the screen at its' lowest setting which is fine for summertime riding. Elevating the screen to its' highest setting offers the protection I'm seeking for cold and rain but the noise & buffeting is unbearable!

I'm currently thinking about the Cee Bailey +2h, +2 w. Opinions? Feedback? Experience?

Cee Bailey? Ztechnik? Aeroflow? MRA? Wudo?

Thanks

SAAB93driver

I have both C Baileys and ZTechic, CB is better for cold weather, Z Tech seems to limit buffeting more but I am shorter than you so ymmv.

check over here for more in depth discussion for RS issues

R11RS forum

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Just FYI, I am 5'10 and use a +2 C-Bailey for Winter use and all the way up puts me almost entirely in a quiet zone with a little back pressure. The air going down the back of my jacket can be a problem, so I often wear scarf.

I've got a 96 11rs with the stock windscreen, an aeroflow, a wudo and a Puig (all purchased by the prev. owner). I'm 6', and I'm not real fond of any of the them. The stock is less noisy, but I need a little more foul weather protection. The aeroflow seems to make a little less noise than the wudo or puig, but it's still not great. Wudo and Puig are so similar to each other that there's no sense in buying both. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the cee baileys, should you try it.

That said, I'm working on a bushing outfit to slip in behind the screen which would allow some airflow behind the screen and (hopefully) even out the buffetting. I'm not a aeronautical engineer, but it seems reasonable.... anyone else try that sort of thing?

I've got a 96 11rs with the stock windscreen, an aeroflow, a wudo and a Puig (all purchased by the prev. owner). I'm 6', and I'm not real fond of any of the them. The stock is less noisy, but I need a little more foul weather protection. The aeroflow seems to make a little less noise than the wudo or puig, but it's still not great. Wudo and Puig are so similar to each other that there's no sense in buying both. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the cee baileys, should you try it.

That said, I'm working on a bushing outfit to slip in behind the screen which would allow some airflow behind the screen and (hopefully) even out the buffetting. I'm not a aeronautical engineer, but it seems reasonable.... anyone else try that sort of thing?

Yes. check the RS website for a similar thread, which includes links, the most recent of which cites a mount from a Suzuki VStrom mod, which could readily be adapted or copycatted for your bike. Otherwise, I used teardrop shaped plywood spacers to raise the screen ~3/4" off its mount, for a slot for air to travel up the back side of the screen. A bigger gap would probably be even better.

I need to replace the windscreen on my '03 RS. I'm 6'2'" and can only use the screen at its' lowest setting which is fine for summertime riding. Elevating the screen to its' highest setting offers the protection I'm seeking for cold and rain but the noise & buffeting is unbearable!

I'm currently thinking about the Cee Bailey +2h, +2 w. Opinions? Feedback? Experience?

Cee Bailey? Ztechnik? Aeroflow? MRA? Wudo?

Thanks

Jim, I think wind screens are like wife’s everybody has a different opinion of what is best to live with none being perfect for life..

The above being said I have tried a few on my 1150RT & so far the Cee Bailey euro cut +2 for height & stock width seems to work the best (for me).. I am just a little over 6’ with average upper body length to lower body length..

When I first got the Cee Bailey I thought it had some distortion in the upper half (probably due to the turned out upper lip) but soon got used to it & now notice nothing.. I am quite happy with the wind screen as far a hi-way turbulence goes..

If you are thinking of a Cee Bailey get an ASSURED delivery date.. While I had no problem with on time delivery there are a lot of threads on the Cee Bailey that complain of very long delivery times & poor customer service treatment..

Twisty

twisty: with all due respect, having had an RS and an RT, there is simply no comparison with shields. The RS bracing structure is a terrible design for anything larger than the stock shield (admittedly, not bmw's problem). the spring mechanism allows the shield to bounce all over the place and the bracing really isn't up to handling larger shields. i tried many options to stop the buffeting and improve protection and after having enough, traded on an RT. the options for the RT are many and effective, sadly not so the RS. in the end, i probably liked the stock shield as the best of the worst. hope your experience is better.

tom collins

twisty: with all due respect, having had an RS and an RT, there is simply no comparison with shields. The RS bracing structure is a terrible design for anything larger than the stock shield (admittedly, not bmw's problem). the spring mechanism allows the shield to bounce all over the place and the bracing really isn't up to handling larger shields. i tried many options to stop the buffeting and improve protection and after having enough, traded on an RT. the options for the RT are many and effective, sadly not so the RS. in the end, i probably liked the stock shield as the best of the worst. hope your experience is better.

tom collins

Tom, obviously you are correct.. for some reason I thought it was an RT.. Don’t know why as he plainly stated an RS.. Maybe I can blaim it on PCS (pre coffee syndrome)..

Twisty

I have. I've got the stock, aeroflow and clearview screens and have never been happy with any of them. The stock is just OK in the down position only, the aeroflow is too tall and the bracket just can't support it well (mine has developed cracks) and the clearview came with a nice 4" flip at the top which caused your head to knock about at 30mph... I cut that lip off and used some spacers to experiment a bit this summer. When I finally got to test riding it was horrible. As stated in other posts, the hinged support bracket lets the shield just flap away in both directions (front to back) which just accentuates the turbulence. My next plan is to remove the small rubber bumpers at the top corners of the fairing and replace them with some type of attachment piece that I can screw the shield into.

One note on doing this, is that the screws attach perpendicular to the bracket. Since the bracket has a slight curve to it (to match the screens) when you move the screen away, the origional holes no longer line up. With 1/2" nylon spaces, I had to route new holes about 1 diameter to the outside of the existing. This required large fender washers to cover the old holes when mounted. Not having the gap beneath to allow some airlfow is definitely the weak point of the stock design. Other than that, Parabellum makes a barn door screen for this bike. I've seen a few mounted and they look like hell, but people seem to like them.

On a side note, I'd be willing to take that Wudo off your hands if you don't want it! thumbsup.gif Let me know!

I'm 6'4", and I agree about the noise of the stock screen. However, I've found that by adjusting my position relative to the screen I can eliminate most of it, and I've gotten used to it. In all but the worst weather, I don't put the screen up too far, staying above it, and when it's up all the way in really cold weather I duck down a little and the air is smooth.

Another thing to try: I recently picked up an R1100RS screen from another member here, for summer riding. I've since found that although it affords a little less weather protection when raised, compared to the 1150 screen, it also doesn't introduce much noise or buffeting. Might be a cheap experiment for you if you can find one.

Matt, if you can find a stock 1150 screen, you get a larger intermediate bracket with it, I wonder if that might help with your aftermarket screen?

Archived