IGNORED

Pulling wheels -sage advice for a R1200RT

dave_albany

I have a friend with a tire changer with BMW experience in changing tires. So, we are going to change my tires. (2005 R1200RT)

Are there ANY tricky issues to be forewarned of?

Thanks in advance.

Getting the back tire off was the same as on my old LT. I ended up taking the muffler off completely. I wish I had the courage to lever the tire off the rim and put a new one on. I've never tackled the job of removing and re-instaling the front wheel. Guess I'm paranoid about messing up the front rotors/ brake calipers/ axle. crazy.gifcrazy.gifbncry.gif

If you know a bunch of local motorcycle folks, you can all get togther and share a tire changer. A bunch of us got together and split the expense of the Nomar changer. Great item. It works exactly as advertised, changes the tires easily, no marks or mars on the rims.

Oh... the BMW manual states to remove the muffler. You don't need to remove it, just pull the bolt hanger and loosen the two bolts and swing it out of the way. Quick and easy to do...

russell_bynum
Getting the back tire off was the same as on my old LT. I ended up taking the muffler off completely. I wish I had the courage to lever the tire off the rim and put a new one on. I've never tackled the job of removing and re-instaling the front wheel. Guess I'm paranoid about messing up the front rotors/ brake calipers/ axle. crazy.gifcrazy.gifbncry.gif

No biggie.

Just put some tape on the rim where the calipers would contact as you're sliding them off like Steve said.

I unbolt the caliper, then rock it side to side to spread the pads a bit. Be sure to hang the calipers from something using some twine/wire/zip ties, etc so they don't hang from the brake lines.

Don't squeeze the brake lever while the calipers are off. Just to be safe, sometimes I slip a thin scrap of wood (or a couple of popscicle sticks) in there so the pads can't move much.

Otherwise, just follow the instructions in your shop manual of choice, make sure to use the appropriate torque specs, and you will not have a problem.

Archived