IGNORED

riding without the fairing?

mkl1100

My RT 1100 must go into the dealer, I am delivering by truck and already have removed the right and left side fairing. Is there any harm riding it home 11 miles via surface streets? I would rather reattach the fairing at home than pay $85 at the dealer?

Like the others said, no problem, but make sure you tie up the loose hardware with twist-ties so they can't vibrate off. Things like the snap-on nuts for the fairing screws.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I've ridden naked, but never without the mirrors. That would relly stress me out.

russell_bynum
I've ridden naked, but never without the mirrors. That would relly stress me out.

There's no reason the OP couldn't pop the mirrors back on before he rides home.

Mine has been off for about 2 weeks now while I fine tune !!! No problems and the mirrors should still attach so long as you havn't taken the nose fairing off. Zip ties as mentioned for anything loose. All up probably travelled 120 km or 60-70 miles over the 2 weeks.

I'm going to pretend that if I were in that situation I'd figure that out dopeslap.gif

russell_bynum

I'm going to pretend that if I were in that situation I'd figure that out dopeslap.gif

thumbsup.gif

It is freaky riding with no rear view mirrors and not knowing what is sneaking up behind you.

Rode my Y2k 1100RT last night to heat up the FD for a fluid change. Fairings were off for other reasons. I had no problems, but I did pop the mirrors on first. Otherwise:

1. I would not be able to see behind me.

2. The turn signal bulbs would be blowing around in the breeze, dangling at the ends of their wires. That cannot be a good thing. I am guessing as well that they are blindingly bright at night, and that would not be good either.

Now I did not secure fasteners, as suggested by Steve, so I may have a rude awakening when I go to put the tupperware back... confused.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I would rather reattach the fairing at home than pay $85 at the dealer?

Make sure that the dealer will discount his rate by the R+R cost. Does the book rate include R+R of the fairing?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Its no big deal. I've seen "naked" test rides at Tech Daze all the time.

Yup. Standard practice when warming up before a TBS. Just make sure any light-weight objects in the glovebox (insurance/registration papers, etc.) are secured so they don't get blown out by the wind.

Archived