IGNORED

Works ESA shocks??

CopsRT

I just picked up a 2006 R1200RT from Chris in Raleigh NC and he had the conversion done so that he could drop the suspension one inch. Works took a couple of tries to get the it correct, but I believe it works well. Pierre, the head of R&D personally supervised the special valving for the lowered suspension and test drove the bike. Chris indicated that before I took delivery Chris compared the Works Performance ESA suspension on his bike back to back with a 2007 BMW ESA suspension directly from the dealer and the Works one was clearly superior.

PS I have put 4,000 miles on the bike since taking delivery on Sept 19. I love it.

Ive got a new RT with esa, got this bike after having an 07 Adv, which I put ohlins on- big improvement! So when I got my new RT had a look at the shocks to see if the where Showas POS shocks. Was very happy to see that they where WP units. Are you telling me that even the WP units are POS? Can you give some more info on the Works convertion please. Like does the esa still funtion and how much. The bike does seem to wallow abit like the Adv did before I put on the Ohlins.

Thanks

Earl

Are you telling me that even the WP units are POS? Can you give some more info on the Works convertion please. Like does the esa still funtion and how much. The bike does seem to wallow abit like the Adv did before I put on the Ohlins.

The WP ESA shocks on my used 06 were POS. I replaced them myself with Ohlins, so you know the difference in damping performance at any load that is simply unattainable on the stockers. For me, ESA was a cute gimmick but I can crank a preload knob myself when I occasionally ride two-up.

russell_bynum
Are you telling me that even the WP units are POS? Can you give some more info on the Works convertion please. Like does the esa still funtion and how much. The bike does seem to wallow abit like the Adv did before I put on the Ohlins.

The WP ESA shocks on my used 06 were POS. I replaced them myself with Ohlins, so you know the difference in damping performance at any load that is simply unattainable on the stockers. For me, ESA was a cute gimmick but I can crank a preload knob myself when I occasionally ride two-up.

Right. Don't get hung up with the brand names. Showa makes some absolutely first-rate stuff and so does WP. They also make some POS bits...which is what BMW specs for their bikes.

Don't get hung up with the brand names. Showa makes some absolutely first-rate stuff and so does WP. They also make some POS bits...which is what BMW specs for their bikes.
Exactly right. It's the performance capability that matters, not the brand name. Showa (and WP, and the others) make some great stuff, and also build-to-spec for OEM. There is not necessarily any comparison between these model lines.

I think people may be confusing WP with WP.

There is a European shock manufacturer which used to be known as White Power. When they started coming to the U.S., it was made clear to them the politically incorrect interpretation of their name, so they changed it to WP for the U.S. market and eventually throughout the world. WP has also been know to provide OEM shocks for some European manufacturers, KTM and BMW being among them.

There is also Works Performance, which is a U.S. company and which has been making my personal shocks for all of my motocross bikes, enduro bikes, Baja racers and now my street bikes for the past 30 years. They do a fantastic job. Works Performance is sometimes shortened to WP.

For the sake of clarity, I suggest that WP be referred to as WP, and that Works Performance be referred to as Works.

Archived