IGNORED

I need some advice on purchasing an '08 R1200RT

EricJ

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums here and could use some advice. Next week my dealer is getting in a '08 R1200RT with the equipment I wanted on it. To be exact the 435 premium pkg. There is very little info with regards to changes on the '08 and he has confirmed the the colors will be the same for '08. List price on the bike will be $19,165. My question is what should I expect to haggle on this bike. I would of bought an '07 but they are out of stock in RT's with ESA. I'm sold on the ESA based on the info I've read on this forum. A big help! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all the good info.

Eric

A dealer may offer a token discount, or agree to throw in some accessories as a perk, but I suspect by-and-large there is very little give on the given price. What they ask is what you pay.

Oh, and welcome to the mad-house!

Eric, the key to getting a discount on the purchase price is to shop a few dealers (internet included--i.e. Daytona BMW, Chicago BMW, etc) so you'll know what is being done elsewhere. If you can get some quotes for less than MSRP, then armed with this info. approach your local dealer and feel him out. If he refuses to sell below MSRP, tell him about some of the competitive quotes you've gotten--and they DON'T have to be in writing (but if you can wave an e-mail in the air for theatrics, it helps smile.gif). Just be sure you don't "embellish" them...he knows what others are doing around the country, and knowing that *YOU* also know this info. he can then decide how to respond. If he thinks you are clueless to his competition's deals, then all you'll get is MSRP.

This is the approach I took in buying 2 R12RT's this year (in Feb & Mar)and I saved approx. $1400 under MSRP on each of them. Some claim to have done even better than this. Good luck!

markgoodrich

This exact discussion has been going on over at the BMWLT site in the RT section. My vote is to search up to 1500 miles from home for a used one, from a dealer or individual. I bought an '06 in February with 1100 miles on it, full pimp. Here's what I had to say on the other forum:

I agree with the idea of buying a "used" model rather than brand new. I tried to buy from my local dealer, but the best they'd do for a very basic brand new model, a stripper to be precise, was just a very small reduction from list, somewhere just under $18k.

I specifically told the salesman I really wanted a very low mileage bike, and asked him if he'd like to contact other dealers. He did nothing, so I did it myself, found, simply by a quick online search, an '06 with topcase, ESA, heated grips/seat (none of which were on my local dealer's offering), with 1100 miles on it. Two emails later I agreed to pay $15.5, had them install an Autocom, and they picked me up at the airport (add two hundred bucks for the flight if you like). I got to spend the first two days of ownership in the mountains of southern New Mexico and darkest West Texas, with a long freeway sprint back to Austin at the end. In February, the "useless" heated grips and seat became my favorite things in the world on the freeway when the weather turned and temps dropped into the 30s. The low 30s. Sleet.

That was about seven months and 9,000 miles ago. I imagine I could sell the bike for what I paid, plus the cost all the other farkles since added.

I never saw the original sticker, but I'd guess sticker, including the topcase, was something on the order of $19k? Maybe more? There's another $300 or so savings in sales tax.

Oh, and I got a free T-shirt with "Sandia BMW" on it.

And when I whined about having to redo the Autocom install, the sales manager sent me a check for $200, the total install charge, despite the fact he knew he'd never, ever see me again.

So, I say it pays to buy very slightly used, and it pays to shop, and it pays to get to spend two days riding your brand new bike in the mountains, and it pays to do business with Sandia BMW in Albuquerque [other than the free T-shirt, I have no affiliation....]

Great advice also from Mark--exactly what I would have done but I was too hung up on the servo vs. non-servo brakes issues between the 06's & 07's so I bit the big bullet and went new. You *may* find a few used 07's out there also--worth a try. But if the used market has what you're looking for, don't hesitate to by a used RT! thumbsup.gif

Hello fellow Arlingtonian! FWIW I wouldn't snap up the first 08 that happens to have the equipment you want unless you just can't wait. If you really want to buy new, I'd go to two dealers with your exact equipment specs and color and get the best possible price for a special order bike, including an extended warranty if you want to keep the bike a long time. I found a used 06 with 1500 miles last March that I'm very happy with except for the servo brakes, and of course the seat, which I changed to a Corbin. It happened to have ESA but the stock shocks are so bad that I pulled them and installed Ohlins. thumbsup.gif

I may be right, I may be wrong. I don't care. I will NEVER be completely confident of an engine break-in I did not do myself.

You save big money buying used machines. All those bucks are compensation for the question marks flying around your head on every ride.

I pay list becaue Im loyal to my local dealer, but it just so happened he had a leftover 2006 with everything on it including the radio, and sold it to me at dealer cost, around 17,500 for a bike with a 20K list. I dont normally expect this kind of deal but I have purchased several bikes from him and get great service after the purchase. This time, it happened to be in my favor. The best prices Ive seen were probably at Chicago BMW. My local dealer is Twin City BMW in Savoy, Il and I recommend them to anyone.

I wish to thank everyone for the advice. To be specific, I wanted a Biarritz Blue with TPM, ESA & ASC. In '08 BMW has grouped the TPM & ASC in a package called the safety package. There is no '07s left anywhere with these options. Chalk one up for me being a day late & a dollar short. confused.gif So I had to order an '08 from the factory. Delivery time is about January. The '08s in blue force you to get black side panels. Maybe there will be an '07 left over on their showroom in '08 to swap them out? I thought the silver tupperware on the sides looked better. Wow, I'm going to miss the fall riding season which to me here on the east coast is the premier riding season. bncry.gif

As for price, it was pretty much list price with some discount on the added options. Nothing to write home to mom about. I clearly know that I could scour the web & find a '07 for a substantial savings but I chose to order a new one. Two reasons: 1. You never really know on a used bike if it has been laid down or not broken in properly. 2. I try very hard to support my local dealer. If they don't make any money then they close their doors and everyone looses. Just my .02 cents.

On a positive note, I have been riding HD's for the last 10 years and have decided to return back to BMWs. I look forward to contibuting to this forum & putting lots of miles on the new bike. I hope to see some of you at rallys and on the road.

Eric

I own the exact bike you want. I bought it in Iowa 2 months ago. There's a chance my dealer or others still have one in their inventory. If you're willing to travel, instead of waiting until Jan. Start calling around. You might get a good enough deal on a '07 to pay for the plane ticket or mileage for the car.

Then again you'd only get abotu another 6-8 weeks of riding in anyway, so you might as well throw the business to your local dealer and wait.

Just my .02 cents Eric, you did just fine. Too bad we are on opposite coasts , as I just received the exact bike you are looking for here in Ca. As a BMW salesman I can honestly tell you that the deal you got is pretty typical, unless you really want to put in the additional effort that some of the others here have suggested. A few hundred off, and a discount on accessories/gear at time of purchase is normal. Congrats!

Wow, I'm going to miss the fall riding season which to me here on the east coast is the premier riding season. bncry.gif

Eric, I'm in Silver Spring & took delivery of my '06RT in Dec., 2005. Without taking any overnight trips, I managed to put 5,000 "break-in" miles on it by May, 2006 as the heated grips & seat along with the adjustable windshield help make winter (without snow or ice, of course) riding quite enjoyable. For some great winter day rides, I recommend the Catoctin mountain area, especially Frederick Municipal Forest and Gambrill State Park. With the foliage gone, the views are even better and there is generally little traffic.

Your '08 will be worth the wait - enjoy!

Tom

Tom,

I'm very familiar with those roads. Absolutely wonderful riding out that way. I usually shoot up through Brunswick and then hit the Catoctin Mountains. I hope to see you on the road sometime! wink.gif

Eric

Eric,

Double check that Engine Spoiler color choice!

You're ordering that bike from the factory.

YOU order it the way YOU want!

Last time I checked (yesterday), you can go Silver or Black.

Best of luck.

I'll be going down that same path (hopefully) soon.

Have to pick the color & options I want.

• 3 months later...

Well, my bike finally arrived & has been farklized! thumbsup.gif Before everone starts up with the "this post means squat without pictures" I ran down stairs to the garage and took some pics. There's crappy lighting in the garage so they will have to do for now. It was a brisk 34 degrees & windy ride home. The Tourmaster Synergy jacket, heated grips & heated seat did the trick. smile.gif But, I may have been riding in a euphoria using my grin to keep me warm?! I had a Zumo (non-BMW)shipped and mounted during the prep along with the Autocom prepped for the iPod. It was too damn cold to fiddle with these items so I hope to get time this weekend to iron out all the logistics. Words cannot descibe how elated I am. It was really tough missing out on the fall riding season but I'm looking forward to a great winter/spring rides.

The last BMW I had was a K1200RS Taxi in color. I've been doing the HD thing and had a good run with them. Funny thing is my gear that I've been using on the HD's is your standard pirate black leather. I dragged out my Hein Gericke leather bibs and Motoport jacket from yesterdecade. Holy cow... eek.gif My fat arse doesn't fit in them like I used to. A sobering moment in my cycle career. bncry.gif So I will tackle those items once my wife calms down from he check we just wrote today.

Anyways, I hope everyone enjoys the pics for what they are worth and I wich to extend a personal thanks to everyone on this forum for the wealth of information that everyone provides. I can't thank you enough! thumbsup.gif

Eric

08R1200RT006.jpg

08R1200RT002.jpg

08R1200RT005.jpg

08R1200RT015.jpg

08R1200RT009.jpg

08R1200RT003.jpg

Well, my bike finally arrived & has been farklized! thumbsup.gif
I truly hope your new RT brings you "smiles" as my own does each time the garage door opens! I relate to the "Harley boutique" gear thing as I too have such stuff acquired during my brief ownership of a new 2000 HD Ultra. At that time, it joined my older Yammies (FJ1200, Venture Royale), but I enjoyed the experience while it lasted. My garage became just one new 2004 Yammie FJR ABS in 2003 which subsequently was replaced by my own RT last August due to significant throttle hand arthritis. My hand still aches, but I can ride now and enjoy every mile!

If you haven't already, check out and register: Zumo Forums I've learned alot there which augments this site nicely on things GPS and Zumo specifically!

Jeff

Nice - looks exactly like mine - are you sure that's yours.

You need to take more pics after your excitement has calmed. grin.gif

Enjoy.

Well, my bike finally arrived & has been farklized! thumbsup.gif I truly hope your new RT brings you "smiles" as my own does each time the garage door opens! Jeff

Jeff, please consider joining the Washington DC area BMW club, known officially as BMWBMW. The website is Here

Jeff, please consider joining the Washington DC area BMW club, known officially as BMWBMW. The website is Here

Henry, thanks for the invite, but Google shows my location 2694 miles from Bethesda! BTW, the link to your club is dyslexic! grin.gif

Jeff

Eric, beautiful bike! Maybe we could ride together sometime... With your Blue and my Gray, we could represent Arlington's Washington-Lee Generals!

Eric, beautiful bike! Maybe we could ride together sometime... With your Blue and my Gray, we could represent Arlington's Washington-Lee Generals!

LOL!!! That was a good one. I'm up for a ride anytime! Just not today, I'm staring out my window at work here in DC and it's snowing something fierce. So I guess I have to settle for trying to digest the Autocom/Zumo manuels. Hit me up anytime for a ride. My work schedule is the usual 8:30-5:30 M-F. Weekends and holidays’ are always good for me.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Eric

Well, my bike finally arrived & has been farklized! thumbsup.gif I truly hope your new RT brings you "smiles" as my own does each time the garage door opens! Jeff

Henry,

I don't know much about bmwbmw.org but I took a peek at your web site. Can you give me a brief description of your personal experiences with them? My concern is that I won't be able to contribute much to the club. I spend most of my time with life in general. (Work, wife, family) It leaves a smidgeon of time to devote my efforts. I have spent most of my riding career rolling with friends and my parents. Alzheimer’s took my dad recently frown.gif & mom just turned 76 & hung up riding all together. I had a good run riding with them for almost 30 years. Most of my long term riding friends have faded or moved away. Hmmm, sounds like the making of a good country western song!? Only thing missing is a dog taking a dirt nap. tongue.gif I guess my mentality is that if I can't give something 100% I'm inclined to not sign up.

Eric

AdventurePoser

This controversy has been going around for a long time. My BMW mechanic, who is master rated told me break in should consist of "riding the snot out of it.? lmao.gif

Ok, that is an image hard to erase....but the message was clear to me. Why buy brand new and pay a small fortune, when you can be a little patient and buy late model, used... tongue.gif

I bought new BMWs and shelled out the big bux, but now I am a believer in used.

I purchased my R1200RT with 1K miles on it for thousands less than new, and it was in showroom condition!

Sorry for the hijack! Just my .02 worth.

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Archived