IGNORED

Power Commander trouble?

AZBaldur

A few weeks ago I installed a second-hand Power Commander III USB with a wide-band oxygen sensor on my '03 R1150R. The installation went smoothly, the unit connected to my laptop, and I uploaded the M918-001 map from the Power Commander website, the one for stock R1150R/RT bikes. The air/fuel ratio is set to 13.8:1. I also reset the throttle travel range on the Power Commander.

While the bike ran great at first with no surging/hunting and better throttle response, it seems that trouble is brewing. It's getting increasingly harder to start and the motor is running much hotter than it used to, even though the weather is cooling off.

Did I miss a step in the installation? Should I have removed the CCP, or pulled fuse #5 for a while, or what? It seems to me the bike is running too rich and it's loading up on carbon deposits. Hard to see through the spark plug holes though, but the plugs do look a little grayer than they used to.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any pointers would be much appreciated, before I start experimenting on my own.

Hot running is usually a sign of an overly lean fuel mixture, not rich. And as for the installation procedure I would just make sure that I followed the instructions that came with the PC (I believe that they want you to leave the CCP in place.)

First thing, are you sure that this is related to the PC? Being out-of-tune in other areas can cause similar issues. What does the PC diagnostics screen say (i.e. does the O2 sensor appear to be cycling OK, is the A/F ratio holding as set, etc.)? Are you certain that the basics (valve clearances, TB sync, timing, etc.) are all in order?

Hot running is usually a sign of an overly lean fuel mixture, not rich.

Right, that's why the whole thing is a bit confusing to me.

First thing, are you sure that this is related to the PC? Being out-of-tune in other areas can cause similar issues. What does the PC diagnostics screen say (i.e. does the O2 sensor appear to be cycling OK, is the A/F ratio holding as set, etc.)? Are you certain that the basics (valve clearances, TB sync, timing, etc.) are all in order?

I think so, it seemed to pretty much coincide with the PC installation. I adjusted the valves about 3,000 miles ago, and I verified that the sync is good last weekend. It's been a while since I verified the timing, though, more than a year.

I don't recall seeing a screen where the real-time A/F ratio is shown... I've just seen the F6 screen where you set it. Maybe I need to upgrade the software, although I thought I had the latest one... or maybe I need to upgrade firmware. I have seen the O2 sensor light go on and off. I've also used the Power Commander's RPM readout to set the idle to 1,100 RPM via the idle bypass screws.

Well hard to say what's going on... I've not heard of any defective Power Commanders but it could happen I guess. Have you tried reading the current map and making sure that it's OK, and maybe reloading it just for good measure? Beyond that I guess you might have to remove the PC and see if the problem resolves. If not you can go on to troubleshoot what is really going on and if so you may have a bad PC unit. You might try calling PC tech support to see if they have any suggestions.

BTW you should see a readout of the realtime A/F ratio on the PC display screen. Are you sure that field isn't there?

Well hard to say what's going on... I've not heard of any defective Power Commanders but it could happen I guess. Have you tried reading the current map and making sure that it's OK, and maybe reloading it just for good measure? Beyond that I guess you might have to remove the PC and see if the problem resolves. If not you can go on to troubleshoot what is really going on and if so you may have a bad PC unit. You might try calling PC tech support to see if they have any suggestions.

BTW you should see a readout of the realtime A/F ratio on the PC display screen. Are you sure that field isn't there?

I've compared the default map and the one in the PC and they match. Can't hurt to reload it, though. I think I'll reinstall the latest command center software too and then look for the real-time A/F ratio field. I'll also check the wiring and the ground connection.

• 5 weeks later...

Found the problem: exhaust leaks from too loose exhaust clamps. I had removed the muffler and the cat converter to install the wide-band oxygen sensor, but didn't torque the clamps properly on reinstallation. It's 45 Nm, or 33 ft-lbs, by the way... I was surprised to find it that high when I looked it up.

So, I loosened everything up to the front clamps on the cat converter and then torqued things properly, in order, going back. The results were pretty dramatic: the motor runs cooler and smoother, and now there's instant power seemingly everywhere, with no pinging whatsoever, even when I whack the throttle open as fast as I can. Feels like it's got twice the motor, frankly.

So, New Rule (for me, at least): Thou Shalt Always Torque Thy Exhaust Clamps Properly.

Archived