IGNORED

Metric conversion on R12

SK_in_AB

I am thinking of moving up to an '07 R1200RT. I will probably buy in the US and import back to Canada as our C$ is up a lot. Can anyone advise of the cost and difficulty of changing out the speedometer and computer nacelle to a metric unit.

Perhaps the computer is a software change - but is the speedo dial sold separate from the tach?

Any guidance would be helpful.

Speaking as one C to another, why change it? We have all lived with dual scale speedos for decades in American made cars. I'm pretty sure that we can all do the conversions in our heads (100km = 60mph) etc. I'd just leave it the way it is. The serial number will always ID this bike as an American model. I wouldn't hack a brand new bike and risk lowering the resale value later IMHO.

ShovelStrokeEd

You gotta be kidding me. BMW owners everywhere puff out their chests and use the technology as an excuse to buy their bikes and they can't do a simple metric to SAE conversion? On my both my Hondas, it is about 2 button pushes to move my speedo and odo to metric units, temp display goes to deg C as well. These aren't even new bikes! The VFR is an '00 and the Blackbird is an '01.

I am thinking of moving up to an '07 R1200RT. I will probably buy in the US and import back to Canada as our C$ is up a lot. Can anyone advise of the cost and difficulty of changing out the speedometer and computer nacelle to a metric unit.

Perhaps the computer is a software change - but is the speedo dial sold separate from the tach?

Any guidance would be helpful.

Stephen, the BMW spedo’s aren’t that accurate anyhow.. Take some of that money you saved & buy good GPS (or buy a new BMW now & get a free Zumo GPS from the Mo. Co.).. Much more accurate as far as speed goes & even tells you where you are in the world.. That’s about all I use for a speedometer now as it is a lot more accurate than the factory speedometer..

Twisty

The odometer can be changed by the dealer's GT-1 back and forth from English to metric units.

For the speedometer if you want big metric numbers and small English ones, instead of the other way around, the entire instrument cluster has to be changed out I believe. There are no separate parts for (such as the number overlay) available for it.

Just a word of caution. I have read that a lot of companies will not honor the warranty if the vehicle is imported from the United States. This is in part so they can continue to charge rip off level high prices for vehicles in Canada. I don't know what BMW Canada's stance on this is so you might want to check. I do know the Canadian warranty and the US one are not identical (Canadian is 3 year unlimited mileage while I think the US is 3 years and 36,000 miles). I don't know if this is an issue for you but it is something to consider before putting your money down.

As someone that works in the auto business (tech), hi end dealer. I can tell you first hand that no one likes to see a veh. brought up from the states. I would first contact BMW Canada to see how much they are going to charge you for you letter of recall comliance. Some companys are charging a LOT for this service. You need the letter to reg. the bike. Will also need an out of province done. Will Blackfoot do it? Also find out if BMW Canada will transfer the warranty, some companys are also not doing this. A brand new bike with no warranty is worth less, this in my opinion negates the savings. Also I heard that all the dealers in the greater Van. area jacked there labor rate up to 175.00 for US soursed bikes!

As for changing out the IP to a metric on it can be done, the last I checked they are about 1500.00, plus labor.

My sujestion is to buy one here, save your self the hassles, keep our economy moving by suporting local companys, and not to think about it. Just be glad to know how much more its costing the US to buy oil and gas!

And if like me you dont like Blackfoot, go out to SM Cycle in Victoria, they are very good to deal with.( They will fly you out to pick up your new bike. Allthough would be kind of iffy to ride back now!)Thats where I got my ADV. and where I wish I had gone to get my RT.

Earl

Thanks for all the feedback. Some of my thoughts (to the site moderator - hope you don't consider this a hijack on the maintennace topic it did really start with a question on a speedo change smile.gif)

I bought my current RT in Montana and imported back to Canada. In part this was because of wider selection of used RT's, but I also saved at least 20%. At the time the recall clearance letter came from BMW USA in NJ for free - I don't think BMW Canada would be involved in this case either. I don't think I need to have it inspected at a BMW dealer - Bow Cycle which sells Honda is close to me and did my previous inspection for $100.

As to changing the speedo - Yes I can and do multiply by .6 easily, I've been doing it for three years with my current bike. No problem on the highway but it is a hassle especially around town where the speed limits vary. If I get a new bike and am going to keep it for 5+ years the investment in a metric speedo and trip computer/temp readout could be worth it. Then again I might leave it as is. I have confirmed it will be in the $1500 range.

As to comments on why not buy in Canada it is simple economics. A new '07 in Calgary is out the door at $24.5k. Similarily equiped in the US it is $19k and our $ is now woth $1.02 US so that is a 24% savings. This easily covers the cost of import, inspection and a flight to the US with $4k left in my pocket.

I'm happy to support Canadian dealers, and would love to buy here, but the problem is the distributor - why should we pay 20-25%% more here for the same bike that comes from the same plant in Deutchland? I faced the same question with my Honda Pilot which I bought in the US and saved 25% even when the C$ was worth 86c US last March. (and wouldn't you know it the Pilot was made in Alliston Ontario, shipped to Phoenix, and sold to me at a $9K saving lmao.gif )The reason the pricing is left so high is that very few canucks will go to the time and hassle to buy in the USA. If Honda Canada figures they lose at most 1-2% of sales this way but maintain a 20-25% price premium they are money ahead, but with a lot of customers angry about the price disparity. There is supposed to be a free trade agreement after all.

As to warranty coverage what are the chances warranty work will be needed and be over $5k? Even if it is I can trailer the bike back to Montana in 4 hours and get the warranty work done there.

Stay tuned - it may be a done deal in the next week or two, or I will wait until the spring.

One last Canadian to US comparison -- We got to have turkey & pumpkin pie today and sleep in on Monday - our American buddies have to wait till November for their Thanksgiving Dinner grin.gif

I will be interested to hear how it all goes for you. There is such a dramatic difference in prices that getting a bike in the US is certainly very attractive.

By the way I have a vague recollection that there are different rules on importing new vehicles versus used ones but maybe I am just dreaming that.

Archived