IGNORED

Southern Adirondack Bday Loop

Fasterpill

Yesterday I bid the fam "adieu" saying to fend for dinner and I headed North for a birthday ride. My plan was to get as far as I could in daylight taking pics and then to return in a beeline for home in the dark.

Here's my route (Idea stolen from Doug Q):

BdayRoute.gif

Within a half mile I ventured along Loughberry lake, the first of many along my route:

Loughberry.jpg

This is outside Corinth:

OutsideCorinth.jpg

Then after, a turn onto Stewart's Dam road (I thought it was a nice road):

StewartsDamRd.jpg

Along South Shore Road

SouthShoreRd.jpg

SShoreMountains.jpg

Of course if you go far enough you come to Stewart's Dam at Great Sacandaga Lake, but this is Conklingville Dam (I think):

StewartsDam.jpg

And along North Shore Rd for 10 miles or so:

Sacandaga1.jpg

Sacandaga2.jpg

Sacandaga3.jpg

Oh oh, my reverie is interrupted by a Flatbed truck pulling out on me. On top of ANOTHER flatbed truck! It had a bunch of dirt and grass and weeds growing in it waving in the breeze up there.

Truck1.jpg

I passed on the double yellow and took this pic of the covered bridge near Edinburg:

CoveredBridge.jpg

Up the hill to Edinburg:

Edinburg.jpg

Oh oh there he goes again. There's a 75% chance he won't turn right toward Northville like I will...

EdinburgTruck.jpg

OK, so this is me entering Northville on Main St after a sloooow ride:

TruckNorthvilleMain.jpg

He won't take Bridge St, I'm SURE. Here's the view from the bridge:

NorthvilleBridge.jpg

NVilleBridgeTruck.jpg

Hey, he turned left on 30. I went right to head north:

Rt30noTruck.jpg

Farther into the Adirondacks:

Rt301.jpg

The trees were almost at peak farther north:

Rt302.jpg

Rt303.jpg

Rt304.jpg

Up to Pleasant Lake:

PleasantLake.jpg

Speculator

Speculator.jpg

On the way to and by Indian Lake:

Rt281.jpg

Rt282.jpg

Rt283.jpg

Rt284.jpg

Rt285.jpg

By Sunset I reached the "View point" - a gorgeous construction site view with some mountains in the background:

View.jpg

After that it was a quick dinner at the local gas station/deli in Indian Lake then follow 28 back to the Northway and on home.

Total time 4 hours, and 168 miles. I missed two great pictures - both of giant does who insisted on being pedestrians. I turned around to get one and she stayed put until I was ready to squeeze the button and voom she vanished into the woods. The second one darted off the road long before I could get the camera out, but I DID miss obliterating each of us (OK I almost was going 3 digits at that point). I slowed down after that. The northern roads reminded me of Oregon in that I was the only person for several miles. They differ in the presence of beautiful colors and absence of sherriffs and 10000 foot peaks. Life is a tradeoff.

YMMV

Nice pics Phil, you have my luck with trucks. On one ride this summer I had two septic trucks, three dump trucks, a logging truck & a trash truck pull out in front of me, all at different times on that single ride.

dopeslap.gif

Pat

Great pics! It looks like you had a little better weather in the Lake Pleasant/Speculator area than I did in 2006:

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

I believe this is the same crossing in Speculator, shot from the opposite direction.

Yup that's the spot. I enjoyed 70 degrees - the temp was amazing for this time of year!

I seem to have lost my pic of Lewey lake. The last time I was there we had your weather in July, but that was over 30 years ago.

Great pics. Nice to see some of the Ads again. I am originally from Baldwinsville, NY and we vacations often in the number lakes (1st, 2nd, 3rd, you get the picture) and Forked Lake. Thanks.

had many a good time in the adirondack area during my formative years. the countryside in your pictoral essay brings back memories. thanks wave.gif

DaveTheAffable

Thanks for sharing!

I lived in Plattsburgh, NY for about 2 years. We were real close to Ausable Chasm, and I spent alot of time flying (yes... like as in light planes) and driving the Adirondacks.

Great pics. Thanks again.

Dude,

Can't think of a better way to spends ones birthday. Happy Bday. Sorry I'm going to miss your tech daze, I'll be at the COG fall foliage rally in Lake George.

Ray!!! That's 18 whole miles away (to the southern end of the lake). Please stop in or something.

No promises, but if circumstances allow a side trip to North East Stone Soup tech daze for a meet and greet, it would be my pleasure. Hope to see you then.

Me too. It's 81 degrees right now, maybe even hotter.

We'll see what next weekend will bring weather wise, but I expect rain and cooler this week and hope for sun on Sat and Sun...

Bill,

Those frogg Toggs have a sliming effect lmao.gif

Yep, for the Great Pumpkin, I look pretty slim!

Oops, I misread it. I thought you said "slimming" effect, but you said "sliming" effect. They may be ugly, but I don't think they make me look slimy! grin.gif

Bill,

Those frogg Toggs have a sliming effect lmao.gif

Yep, for the Great Pumpkin, I look pretty slim!

Oops, I misread it. I thought you said "slimming" effect, but you said "sliming" effect. They may be ugly, but I don't think they make me look slimy! grin.gif

Bill,

Truth be told, I misspelled "Slimming" dopeslap.gifmy bad. Maybe if I ask Leslie, she can have the font made larger in the posting screen. Reading glasses will also work.

Archived