IGNORED

Helmet mounts

yechave

Just wondered how others store their helmets on the bikes when you go to restaurants etc. Ebay has a helmet lock device that goes under the handles on the BMW rear bags, advertising you could ride with the helmet safely secured on the bike like that. It looks like an accident waiting to happen, IMO.

Don't have the helmets yet, but I ordered a set of Nolan 3/4 N-42's.

One bike I saw had a double holder at the license plate.

Maybe put a grommet in the straps, and use a small cable to lock the helmets to the luggage rack.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Ebay has a helmet lock device that goes under the handles on the BMW rear bags,

If you're refering to the 'J' shaped aluminum deal, they work great, but I wouldn't ride with the helmet attached that way. I think you could, but I prefer to have everything on board nailed down when I'm in motion.

If you have your bags on, 2 options: Put the helmets in the bags (I think your N42's will fit), or if they won't fit, or you have stuff in the bags, I suggest taking the long strap and dangling it down into the bag, then shutting the lid on the strap and locking it as normal. I picked this tip up on this forum years ago and it works like a charm. And it's free! thumbsup.gif The helmet will just sit on top of the bag. If someone comes by and tugs on it, it's not going anywhere. And lets be honest, if someone wants to cut the strap, they'll cut it. Heck, if you cable it and they want it, they'll go find a pair of linesmans pliers and cut the cable, for that matter. To me it's about a little deterrence- that's about all you can do short of putting them in the bags.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if the N42 has that ratchet latch like the N102 does. Hmmm... If it does, I don't know what to tell you. Had one and didn't like it- nothing like the 'ol D-ring. You mentioned a grommet through the strap... you might use a cable lock or retractable ski/snowboard cable and use the luggage rack as you mentioned, if that's the case.

Just wondered how others store their helmets on the bikes when you go to restaurants etc. Ebay has a helmet lock device that goes under the handles on the BMW rear bags, advertising you could ride with the helmet safely secured on the bike like that. It looks like an accident waiting to happen, IMO.

Don't have the helmets yet, but I ordered a set of Nolan 3/4 N-42's.

One bike I saw had a double holder at the license plate.

Maybe put a grommet in the straps, and use a small cable to lock the helmets to the luggage rack.

I bought and used the "J-hook" type, but switched to the Helmet Guardian to avoid the "open glove compartment--retrieve j-hook--install j-hook thru helmet ring--unlock side case--secure helmet--lock side case--reverse sequence on return" routine every time I wanted to leave the bike for a few minutes.

That said, I have ridden a lot of miles with an extra helmet secured to the side case with the j-hook, and it was entirely stable at all speeds.

If you prefer the j-hook style, PM me about my two (moderator: solicitation OK?)

I ordered the helmet, sight unseen, but I think it has the ratchet set up. That should be here tomorrow. Will have to work these details out as the stuff comes in.

I can't say enough about this forum!!!! I would never have been able to even contemplate making a trip this year had I not had access to all this information. thumbsup.gif

I ordered the helmet, sight unseen, but I think it has the ratchet set up.
If it does have the ratchet device, and you don't want to stash it in your bags, you'll probably need to go with the Helmet Guardian and install a grommet in the strap.
Handcuffs work well for locking a helmet and/or gear to the bike.

Given that all handcuff keys are the same, I'd be worried about one of us LEOs snagging your handcuffs! grin.gifdopeslap.gif

I use either the side case or the BMW helmet lock.

What is this BMW Helmet lock you mention? I have the System 5 helmets and there is no way to lock them onto a bike and I've not seen a BMW mechanism yet. Can you perhaps help here?

Thanks

What is this BMW Helmet lock you mention?

Under the passenger seat there is a bronze colored hook on either side that you can loop the D ring over, put the seat back on and the helmet is secured. Try to remember to pull the key back out of the seat lock before you leave...but if you don't remember don't worry, no one else will think to look near the tail light for your key!

Don't use the strap/D-ring to lock the helmet. Thieves cut the strap and restrap the helmet (yes, you can do that). I learned the hard way...

I loop a short combination chain through the visor-hole and around the chin bar.

You can get free cable locks from the police department in most places. They call them "gun locks." Usually vinyl coated and work fine in conjunction with the rear rack.

You can also buy one for about $800 and get a free .44 magnum but it takes a lot more paperwork.

So far, with 3 hard bags, extra padding on seat for passenger, plus large sheepskin, the only place left to store anything, was on top of the seats (wanting to protect the shields on the new helmets). What I found is the Kryptonite Krypt Grip lock. The entire unit is about 3" diameter, just over 1' thick, the cable is self contained, and the cable is about 1/8th" dia.

Just release the lock to open the cable, remove the key, run the cable back through the housing, and it is locked. Big enough for two helmets, two jackets and chaps, if needed. Small enough to run the cable through just about any place in a helmet you want, easy to carry and I think it was about $25.

Very pleased with this!

If you have the hard cases empty your helmet WILL fit in them as My Schuberth 3xl fits in the top case closed and in the right side case with the chinbar flipped up, and trust me youwont find a bigger helmet than those that fit my fat melon.

When on tour with the wife and full bags we just bring them in with us, really not a problem and gives peace of mind when you can se ethem. plus any of the outside solutions for locking ttem up can lead to an unfortunate situation if it rains.

Archived