IGNORED

Due to collect new R1200ST on Saturday

jcheston

Having just joined the forum after a long period as an interested observer, I just wanted to say 'thank you' for all the advice and information which I have acquired along the way. The posted advice and riding impressions played a big part in prompting me to change my 2002 R1100S for what may be one of the last R1200STs to be assembled. I ordered the ST on 26 May and it was finally delivered to my dealer here in the UK last week. I am due to collect it on Saturday, my R1100S having gone to a good home last weekend.

I think one of the reasons for the delay is that I wanted a bike without ABS. I have gone for a simple, low-tech bike with the standard (under damped) suspension and just heated grips, a centre stand and the trip computer as the factory-fitted options. Öhlins or Wilbers seem the way to go for a suspension upgrade when finances allow.

CONGRATS!!!

I'm sure most of us on this side of the pond won't ever get to see it in person, so we're gonna need pics. smile.gif

Firefight911

Congrats!!!

Ya know, the ST is just good enough to where you might be able to ride it to this side of the pond!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

While we await that ride tale, how about some pics?

Welcome thumbsup.gif I see that you are a town planner, if only all town planners were bikers grin.gif I hope everything goes well for you.

Steve

Congrats on the "simple ST". Yours is outfitted pretty much like my 2005 ST was from the dealer. No ABS, heated grips, trip computer. Sometimes less is more. What a nice canvas eh?

congratulations! I have put a couple thousand miles on my ST now and am very happy. It is an excellent sporty standard with very nice fit and finish, IMHO.

Should I say it?

AFuselesspics.gif

I'd like to jump on this bandwagon too. I had a 2005 R1200ST that I put 23K on before I totaled it. Broke my right leg pretty badly and won't be able to ride until late Spring. What a great bike it was. I couldn't resist a black 2007 ST that I found for sale on the net with very low miles. It's being delivered next week. Looking forward to riding again, gives my healing a goal.

I couldn't resist a black 2007 ST that I found for sale on the net with very low miles. It's being delivered next week. ...

Tell us more! Where did you find it? What options does it have? How much did you pay? What did shipping set you back? Are there any pix of the bike?

JT

Tell us more! Where did you find it? What options does it have? How much did you pay? What did shipping set you back? Are there any pix of the bike?

JT

I found the bike on the IBMWR marketplace, it was exactly what I was looking for so it was hard to resist. It has everything except ESA and only @ 800 miles. Shipping was part of the deal and I paid a couple of K less than MSRP. I'm going to try and set it up like my first one: Verholen, risers, throttle lock, Hyper-lights, Wilburs, Stebel compact and a set up for GPS. It will be frustrating not to be able to ride it for a while, so I've got to do something with it.

2131493200_935569-newbike4.jpg.e756946f7e315889e6a8f0c3077e5df5.jpg

Thanks for everyone's comments. Unfortunately, my efforts to upload photographs of my new ST have failed miserably. I have tried compressing them in a zip file and using ImageShack, as advised on this site, but without success. Maybe someone could enlighten me, please?

Thanks

John

I use photobucket as they have free memberships and a great hosting site. You do have to reduce your pics to 800x600 for their free memebrship though.

That being said, if you want to e-mail me your pics I will host them up and send you the url for them. check my profile for the e-mail addy.

JT

Thanks for everyone's comments. Unfortunately, my efforts to upload photographs of my new ST have failed miserably.

John,

Congratulations on the new bike, you will really enjoy it. I was able to post one picture by formatting it to the size allowed, saving it to my desk top, and then adding it as an attachment. I did this on a Mac, so YMMV (or in your case, YKmMV). Hope you get some good riding time in before it gets too cold.

Peter

It's being shipped to the West Coast now. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I knew it was the right one for me. I had a 2005 ST that took me across the country twice, sped me through 3 track days and was also my daily commuter. It performed above and beyond my expectations in all of those arenas. It balked once (potentiometer), but didn't leave me stranded. The only time it left me on the road was when I dropped it at about 60-65 MPH, may it RIP.

I spent most of the last 3 summers in Marin. Great place to ride, I shuttled a lot of oysters between Hog Island and my WC retreat. I'll be flying out there this year. I probably won't be able to ride until late Spring in any case.

Knowing the bike is waiting for me will be great motivation for the PT on my broken leg. I am going to fly out and visit it next week however, and have some bar risers added.

I believe the only difference between the 2005 and the 2007 is the disapearance of the servo brakes, I'm pleased about that. I expect this ST to perform just as well as my first one.

Now if only I can get a grip… dopeslap.gif

937694-bike2_2.jpg.8575eec1fa2388080782edd914862ff8.jpg

Very nice. I love the ST in black. One doesn't see too many STs on the road and you may be the only two ST owner in the bike's brief US history. wave.gif

My first was the two tone silver one, I liked it, but the black is a great looking bike as far as I'm concerned. When I bring it back east I'll head out your way and we can take them for a spin. I'm sure tandem black STs would turn some heads thumbsup.gif

With apologies for the delay (I have not been near a PC for over a week), here are a couple of photos of the new ST:

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0231.jpg

I have only managed to put 345 miles on it so far, but I am starting to enjoy it. I found that winding the rear preload adjuster up to full hard improves the handling and dials out much of the bouncy ride that comes with the standard setting. I also want to try the 'bars in their lowest position to see if that makes me feel more at one with the bike.

John

I have not seen a black ST before. A simply wonderful color! Would really look nice with 2-tone black/silver wheels to match the body.

BTW, what's the round disc hanging off the near the left cylinder?

what's the round disc hanging off the near the left cylinder?

That's a special UK accessory, a lazer white line tracking beam and mirror that allows you to corner more smoothly whilst falling asleep at the wheel. thumbsup.gif

Oh you mean the road fund licence tax disc holder!

I'll get my coat wave.gif

DAMN!

I really tried hard to get an '07 black here in the states - no luck frown.gif

Perhaps in a couple years I'll swap out my used '05 for someone's used 07!

JT

DAMN!

I really tried hard to get an '07 black here in the states - no luck frown.gif

Perhaps in a couple years I'll swap out my used '05 for someone's used 07!

JT

If you need a black one so bad, get the one you have painted.

I found that winding the rear preload adjuster up to full hard improves the handling and dials out much of the bouncy ride that comes with the standard setting.

dopeslap.gif I meant, of course, to say the rebound adjuster. For the moment, I have left the preload as set up from the factory.

With apologies for the delay (I have not been near a PC for over a week), here are a couple of photos of the new

John

? so was that you riding down Clay Lane earlier this week? must be the first black ST I've seen!thumbsup.gif

chris

so was that you riding down Clay Lane earlier this week? must be the first black ST I've seen!thumbsup.gif

chris [/quote

Chris

I collected the ST from Vine's on the morning of 6 October and returned home to Merrow along Clay Lane. I don't think I have used that road since. I saw an ST one evening about a week before I picked the bike up travelling down Park Lane in Merrow heading towards Burpham. Perhaps that was you? Happy to compare notes sometime.

Regards

John

If you need a black one so bad, get the one you have painted.

Huh. I think you grossly misunderstood me.

My interest was in an '07 with electronic suspension adjustment and automatic stability control. Unfortunately in '07 there was only total silver or total black available - of which I would have greatly prefered black.

I still plan on swapping to a black '07 in a couple of years if possible. But since I couldnt find one new, I went ahead and bought an '05. I will now let someone else take the depreciation hit.

JT

• 5 months later...

I have only managed to put 345 miles on it so far, but I am starting to enjoy it. I found that winding the rear preload adjuster up to full hard improves the handling and dials out much of the bouncy ride that comes with the standard setting.

John

Apologies for my late arrival, but I've only just found this site again and was trawling through the St posts.

Tonight on the way home I was thinking about that bouncy feeling, I already upped the preload 5 clicks or so from std, and damping a notch or two, From you comment John it looks like I need to wind it up more. What setting have you ended up with on the damping screw?

\v/

Nobby

I turned the rear damping up to maximum hard. It made an appreciable difference.

John

I see, I'm set at 1 3/4 out (or is it in?) at the moment, preload is 25 clicks I think I don't think i need much more weighing only 75 Kilos or so myself, tho I do run the BMW top box with my usual kit I carry around which probaly weighs 7 kilos. Will wind up damping some more, tks.

Archived