IGNORED

1200RT Locks Compromised?

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

I am also member of a French RT forum. Various members of that forum had their R1200RT cases opened and the contents stolen (helmets, clothing) over the past 3 weeks. eek.gif

There was NO damage, so it appears the thieves have some sort of 'general key' that opens the side and top cases. No reports of other model cases being hacked so far.

Any reports in the US of such 'cases' ??

BitScribbler

One report from a rider in London too, but he didn't just lose the contents, he lost the entire top box. Again, no visible damage.

Some lock cylinders are easily defeated by a common tool, such as a screwdriver or nail clipper. When this is discovered by the criminal element, that "brand" utilizing the lock cylinder is targeted more (e.g. auto thefts).

This may be the case with the BMW lock cylinder. We have seen evidence of cost-cutting in other areas on our machines.

That is bad news... It may be just a BFO..."Blinding Flash of the Obvious" but, I wonder if some scoundrel discovered that if the lock is not in the 'Lock" position it can be opened with just the push of the button?

Francois_Dumas

I can't verify that. I DO know that I must be the WORST thief in the world... I could not even open the cases of the 'loaner' I had WITH the proper key !! lmao.giflmao.gif (Nobody told me about pushing that button).

I was worried this post was about the electronic ignition codes had been compromised somehow.

I'm not suprised that just a screwdriver could pop open hte case. With my Givi, if you pull hard enough you can probably yank the thing off, and a crowbar would make short work of the top cse or sidecases.

Here in Iowa, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. Nobody even wears helmets or gear anyway. I'll be sure to get good insurance if I ever rent a bike in Europe.

Francois_Dumas
I'll be sure to get good insurance if I ever rent a bike in Europe.

That's ALWAYS a prerequisite, even without renting a bike wink.gif

Some lock cylinders are easily defeated by a common tool, such as a screwdriver or nail clipper. When this is discovered by the criminal element, that "brand" utilizing the lock cylinder is targeted more (e.g. auto thefts).

This may be the case with the BMW lock cylinder. We have seen evidence of cost-cutting in other areas on our machines.

early R12RT lock cylinders could be removed (even when locked) with a properly bent paperclip. The parts guy at the dealer removed one from my topcase in about 8 seconds. The newer ones have a tab or a clip that prevents this. There was at least one thread last summer and I remember someone had a website with pictures that explained the process.

No bust on the French theif, but I think the American thief will want to "see" what he is stealing first. Unless they saw you put something in your saddlebag that the theif wants I do not see a thief going through the trouble to get a "Deal or not Deal" saddlebag.

In the past we put out "bait" cars for thiefs to strike. It was always a view to watch a thief walk by the car about three or four times before striking. So I believe there is more than just someone randomly picking on a RT for goodies or the thief is watching that person place items in that bag that he wants.

Francois_Dumas

As I understand it, a number of bikes were in a large parking lot at a motorbike event of sorts. Not sure of the details, but I reckon they may have watched the bikes coming and people putting their stuff in.

Mind you, I can't see why anyone would want to steal a bunch of helmets... frown.gif

Oh, and putting out 'bait' is unlawful here (unfortunately) since it is a crime to solicit crime... go figure crazy.gif

If BMW is like most auto makers, they only use so many lock combinations. Some makers use as few as 7 keys for a model year. I bought my 07 GS a few months ago and picked up a pair of vario cases for it from a fellow who was selling his off of his 05. No need to get them re-keyed to my bike as my key works without a problem, no jiggling or anything.

Archived