IGNORED

"SPORT BOARDS"

Damean

We'll as a re-entry rider of only 10 months, having only ridden my RT 13K miles in that time, having only been to only 3 BMWST events, and a BMWST member for 9 months now I can tell you this much ... expect a lot of opinions against them. I believe much more experienced riders will tell you they don't use them because they impede proper rider posture and actually promote bad posture.

But like I said, I'm a relative noob, so let's see what the experienced people say. lurker.gif

Damean,

Welcome to the board. I don't know anything about the sport boards. Regarding the "elf pegs," I have them and love them. I take it that your meaning was that you want to find some pegs that work like the elfs but are not as expensive. If, on the other hand, what you meant was that the elf pegs are inexpensive, think again; they will run you about what the sport boards are being advertised for, maybe a few dollars less.

We'll as a re-entry rider of only 10 months, having only ridden my RT 13K miles in that time, having only been to only 3 BMWST events, and a BMWST member for 9 months now I can tell you this much ... expect a lot of opinions against them. I believe much more experienced riders will tell you they don't use them because they impede proper rider posture and actually promote bad posture.

But like I said, I'm a relative noob, so let's see what the experienced people say. lurker.gif

Hmmmm, I've never heard those arguments. It's usually just more about the "looks" from the poseurs and the polishers . . . and some of those have then gone on to buy R1200RT's so take that for what it's worth. tongue.gif

I love mine, but then I've only got 130,000 miles on them so I might need to put on another 70,000 on them before I could make any final decisions! lmao.gif

I don't know about the sport boards but I love the pegs. I think these items serve two different purposes though. Are you considering both?

By the way, the elf pegs do not support the weight of the bike when you lay it down. If you plan to lay it down, fold them in first -- at least the one on that side dopeslap.gif Experience is a hard teacher. First the test and then the lesson.

I've had the Sportboards for about 35K miles now and really like 'em. I can move my foot forward/back and I don't get ache in my arch from standing/stretching. You will need to move the shift lever down one notch and I have dragged both my toe and the board on occasion. They are overpriced but I have seen one set in the Classifieds.

Had the elf pegs and also liked them but was always scared they would come out. Went to a set of Talon brackets which mount on the big bolts in the head cover. They are much cheaper than the elf pegs and you can use your old front pegs.

See ya. Bill

I don't know about the sport boards but I love the pegs. I think these items serve two different purposes though. Are you considering both?

Yes, I'm considering both. As far as the boards, I like having my feet flat, and I think it would help with my knees a little. I know the Elf pegs would help with the knees as well, and the will be purchased before the boards, so I may decide I don't need the boards. I would love to get some "cheap" elf pegs, but such a critter may not exist. Anyone out there bitterly hate theirs and want to sell them to me for about $150?? wink.gif

I have a set of Talon pegs and while they are not the prettiest to look at i love them. I have long legs and the Elf pegs were not forward enough. i only use them for short periods to stretch my legs while still eating miles. And yes, they do not support the bike on it's side so fold them up beforehand. grin.gif

D

GrumpyOldMan

Damean,

I'm very happy with the 'Sport Boards' on my R1100RT-P and I find them very comfortable. Fortunately my bike came with them. These boards also lower the peg position about 1.5" below the stock pegs.

I went back the stock pegs for a short time just to try them out and quickly switched back to the Sport Boards.

I was thinking of getting some of these for the RT: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1514

Anyone have anything yey or ney about these? Or where to get them cheaper? smile.gif

Also was wondering about a set of in-expensive "elf pegs". Again, any thoughts on those would be appreciated.

I have the sport boards on my bike and I love them. It allows me to change to several different foot positions on a long ride. They are great for riding while standing up, which I do often to stretch my back. The only downside is that if you tend to ride like a hoon, they _will_ scrape the ground in a hard turn. They scrape particularly well on off camber up hill roads. You sort of get used to it. I got mine on eBay for a highly discounted price. I'd look around some of the boards as well to see what is out there.

Archived