IGNORED

Aftermarket oil filters?

TrickLidz

Look at the sticky post at the top of the oilhead forum. There are lots of different alternative filters listed there, and any of them will work on the hexhead. The only thing unique about the shorter hexhead filter is that is is shorter.

I've used the K&N one (KN-164). No complaints. I'd use it again. With the nut/bolt on top there is no need for special tools. Available (typically by special order) at any Autozone, but it's about the same price as the BMW one. I know people don't like their air filter products around here, but I really like their oil filters.

I just have about 20 Autozones between me and my BMW dealer.

im using wix 51348 on my 1150rt, it is the same filter as napa 1348. great quality filter, says made in u.s.a., i buy it local for 4.95 so everyone wins the way i see it. grin.gif

What are you folk paying for the BMW filters?

$15.75 OUCH!!!!!

I'll be using the Wix from now on....

BTW: anyone got another source for the aluminum crush washers??

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I just checked out the link to filters because I wanted to get the Purolator Pure 1--the only problem is that it's too tall for my R1200RT. The BMW filter is 2-inches tall, the Amsoil is 3-inches--it protrudes down about 1/2 inch below the Oil Pan--and I think that's OK. The Pure one PL10241 is 3.36-inches tall--too tall I think, and the PL25230 is totally out of the range at 4.74 inches tall.

it protrudes down about 1/2 inch below the Oil Pan--and I think that's OK.
Most all aftermarket ones will. Unless you tear up the underside on something, in which case you've got bigger problems than the oil filter, it's a non-issue.

OEM hexhead oil filters are just over $10.00 from Hammersley's. I am not going to take a chance with my engine. Just because I read something on the web doesn't make it true. Maybe the guy on the reference site is right; I don't know and I cannot spend the time to attempt verification. What I do know is that I can afford to spend ten bucks as opposed to 5, every few thousand miles to be certain that I have a trustworthy oil filter. YMMV.

In general I agree with you. But on the subject of oil filters there is over a decade of track record on use of aftermarket filters on the boxer engine with no issues.

But of course the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is the rider, right? grin.gif

Archived