IGNORED

Do the R1200s shift the same ("clunk") as the R1150s?

twilmotte

I have a 2004 R1150RT and I'm thinking of getting an R1200RT. One thing I don't like about the 1150 is the "clunking" noise and feel of the shifting in the lower gears. I'm tuned in to preloading the shift lever (and that helps somewhat), but even my Harley doesn't clunk as bad as my RT in the lower gears. I haven't ridden an R1200RT. Do they shift any smoother?

There's good an bad about hte clunk. It's like my Nissna Versa. The gearbox is a little nothcy, but it's very accurate and never feels mushy.

The R12 gearbox seems similar. You know you've downshifted with this gearbox. thumbsup.gif

My R12RT shifts way smoother than my R11RT did. It was a night and day type of difference. However, now that I'm used to the R12 I've recognized the 1-2 shift can still be a challenge to do smoothly. Preloading the shift lever, being quick with the clutch and only slightly relaxing the throttle are keys to the smoothest shifts on mine.

The rest of the shifts are very smooth compared to the old bike.

Absolutely smoother. I never was comfortable with the clunk of my 1150 RT and after one minute of test riding the 12GS, I knew that engine was going to eat a hole in my checkbook. grin.gif The 1200 engine is also way more responsive and peppy, not to mention that when downshifting from high speed, it just takes it in stride and will wind down accordingly, whereas with the 1150 engine it would whine and rev, making me feel like I was going to blow the engine up.

I found the R1200RT much less "clunky" than the R1100RT. It is still way more clunky than the Boxer Cup, which makes little sense to me. Every Harley that I have ridden had big clunks. It seems to me that noisier exhausts cover up alot of the noise since the clunk on the RT is more heard than felt.

Archived