IGNORED

Oil Change (Not the same old thing)

skyskier

I changed my oil today and noticed something that I think I noticed the last time I changed it, but at that time I thought I was just imagining it. confused.gif I’m not going to get into oil manufactures (Your welcome grin.gif), but the oils are both synthetics. At this oil change, I went back to the oil I had been using before the last change, and I felt that the bike revved much easier than it had with the brand of oil I had just taken out of it. Both of the oils where the same viscosity (20/50). The reason this was strange was because I remembered that when I had changed my oil the last time I felt that the bike “didn’t” rev as easily with the new oil as it had with the old oil.

The bike really seems to run noticeably better with the oil I’m using now. Has anybody else had this happen to them after an oil change? That is, have the bike feel noticeably better or worse when just changing brands?

There really is no way that you're going to detect a change from one brand of oil to another. In fact, if there ever was a dramatic enough change for the rider to actually detect it then something was very wrong with either the oil you were using before or the oil you just installed... and either way that's not good. wink.gif

That's why I was asking if anyone else had ever had this feeling. I didn't think you should be able to tell the difference, but it sure seemed like I could. dopeslap.gif

Thanks.

Has anybody else had this happen to them after an oil change? That is, have the bike feel noticeably better or worse when just changing brands?

Using a different viscosity oil would possibly be noticeable. Also, different oils with the same viscosity rating can hold their viscosity better than others. I see no reason to doubt that you can tell the difference. I believe I can tell a difference in my shifting when I change to a straight 90 wt gear oil. Of course another factor that can come into play is temperature.

Tipover Bob

I'm a new RT owner and my bike was in for the 12K service after putting just under 2K miles on the bike in 6 weeks.

In the first couple of days after i got it back I thought I heard and felt all sorts of "new" things about the bike. After a while I realized that I was hypersensitive to any sound the bike made. Rode it a while and now feel confident that all is well.

I'm pretty sure I go through the same thing every time my PU goes in for service...

Just My .02

That's why I was asking if anyone else had ever had this feeling. I didn't think you should be able to tell the difference, but it sure seemed like I could. dopeslap.gif

Thanks.

No bad questions. BTW, didn't you ever notice how much better you bike, truck, or car runs after you wash and wax it?

There are instances after oil changes, if you overfill, that the motor may vibrate a little more. Happened to me a couple of times during my early ownership days thumbsup.gif

Phil,

I know I got the fill level right, but I agree that could make a difference. I think maybe being hyper-sensitive after doing service is the best answer I have heard. I know I'm that way with all my vehicles.

Archived