IGNORED

R1100RT shifting

yechave

Knowing next to nothing about these bikes, I had a question on shifing on my recently purchased 99 R1100RT, w/35k miles. I seem to get some minor grinding going into 3rd gear, and have not noticed any problems at all with any other gears, up or down. Just wondered if they are all like this, or this is a normal wear issue. I test drove a 97 w/70k miles, which was really bad going into 3rd, and had problems downshifting as well. Just seemed odd I had similar experiences with two 1100rt's. My only other ride prior to his was a new Harley rental, which had no shifting issues. Appreciate any advice!

I had read that pre-loading info elsewhere too. That takes a load off my mind. I did find it concerning that it was only third gear that was doing this however. Seeing bikes with over 100k miles, I thougth with only 35k miles, this should last quite some time. Thanks for the reply!

They all do this. If you preload the shifter just before you pull in the clutch you can avoid the scrunch.

Yup, get her up snug, pull the clutch, click, your in! Comes standard with your oil or airhead.

Curious, what about hexheads?

Knowing next to nothing about these bikes, I had a question on shifing on my recently purchased 99 R1100RT, w/35k miles. I seem to get some minor grinding going into 3rd gear, and have not noticed any problems at all with any other gears, up or down. Just wondered if they are all like this, or this is a normal wear issue. I test drove a 97 w/70k miles, which was really bad going into 3rd, and had problems downshifting as well. Just seemed odd I had similar experiences with two 1100rt's. My only other ride prior to his was a new Harley rental, which had no shifting issues. Appreciate any advice!

Wayne, as stated above a little preload goes a long ways towards smooth shifting..

You will figure the basic dance steps out by plying with it as long as you know what needs to be done..

Basically start the shift preload as you s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y back off the throttle (not very far back off).. Once the shift is started slightly pull the clutch in (quickly & not very far).. A quick short clutch action along with the preload seems to smooth it right out. Also easy on the throttle position change as that engine is fairly responsive so dumps RPM’s quite quickly.. Try riding with the fast idle turned on as that should help you learn a smooth shift..

Once you figure it out it will become a very smooth preload,, throttle dip, & clutch fan all in one motion..

Twisty

My bought new 99RT STILL does that especially after I have ridden another bike. Preload is the answer, be firm with the motion and don't dally between gears.

...start the shift preload as you s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y back off the throttle (not very far back off).. Once the shift is started slightly pull the clutch in (quickly & not very far).. A quick short clutch action along with the preload seems to smooth it right out. Also easy on the throttle position change as that engine is fairly responsive so dumps RPM’s quite quickly.

+1 Don't back off the throttle much at all, is my two cents. Your clutch action should be fast enough that with only a *little* bit off the throttle, the engine simply doesn't have time to rev. Hope that makes sense. Another big thing that helped me was getting the RPMs up prior to shifting. I was down in the 3-4k range, clunky as all get out...read a post about being in the 6k range prior to shifting, and MAN did that help! You'll feel like you're really stringing out the old boxer at first, but when you are shifting less and what shifts you are doing are reeeaaallllyyyy smooth (ok, smooth for an RT dopeslap.gif) you'll realize that it's all good north of 6k RPMs. Have fun on your new bike!!!!

I have to say, I find this information most interesting.

I haven't been on a bike for 18 yrs or so, my only experience recently was a Harley rental for three days. Top RPM on that ride was about 3k. I've only had this out 3-4 days so far, I have a passenger about half the time, which I have never done in my twenty or so years of riding. I find myself not going above 3500 rpm, period. So, I guess I need to experiment a bit more here.

I thought the higher revs would suck up engine oil. I have no idea. My previous bikes never took any oil between services. Reading the manual, it said check oil after every second fueling. I run most roads in my twsp in no more than 3rd gear, 3k rpm, as that already exceeds the speed limits.

On the interestate the other day, two up, I was doing about 75mph, at just over 3k rpms in 5th. I think at one point we were doing just over 80+, and that was just over 3500rpm's. I certainly have not seen 4k rpm's at all. This is an entirely different beast than I have ever owned previously.

So, between having laid the bike over in the parking lot just after purchase, which took a couple days getting over, trying to adjust my riding to this type of bike with my short legs, having a passenger (that has never been on a bike), and getting used to the odd configuration of handlebar functions, this has been somewhat stressful.

I hope to have most of the issues worked out in time to take a three day trip this month, possibly from Pa to VA, WoodGrille Buffet....and a little scenic touring on Skyline Drive.

Love the power this bike has. WOW!

This forum has been an oustanding source of information for me, and greatly appreciate all the replies. Many thanks!

Archived