IGNORED

On changing seats

yechave

Just got a R1100RT. Had two options from the dealer, a 97 with stock seat or a 99 with Corbin seat. We bought the 99. The next day or so, a guy rides in with a Russell seat, and I fell in love with that. I checked prices, and the Russell front and back, with heat and back rest is $1250. I thought I could find an unwanted stock seat for cheap, and the lowest price I got so far was just under $400. I doubt I could sell the Corbin for $400. For the time, I just put a sheepskin on the Corbin, which is a bit too firm and too wide, but have to live with the compromise. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar dilemma, and had any thoughts. The dealer had offered to provide either seat, prior to the sale. Not sure what they would do now, plus, we got the bike to enjoy the last couple months of riding weather this year. In order to do that, the Corbin was much more suitable between the two options. Russell could not have the seat done until late Nov., and we would not have any seat to ride with no matter what I kept for now. Thanks!

Used RT seats are frequently available on eBay for a lot less than $400. Why wouldn't you get one and then send it to Russell for them to rebuild? They wouldn't want the Corbin because it's not built on a BMW pan. When you get the Russell seat you could then decide whether you prefer it to the Corbin. If the Russell wins, then you could easily sell the Corbin on eBay or in the For Sale section of this forum. And while you're waiting for the Russell you can still ride on the Corbin.

Buying a stock seat was my intent, I just have not found one. I called Russell, who referred me to Iron Horse for a stock seat, and that was the price I got from them. So, we will finish the season with the Corbin. I have enough e-mail replies, and have seen two great examples of their work at the local shop, from very happy Russell owners to know that is the way to go. Thanks!

For what it's worth, I found that Corbin was more comfortable once I discovered the Master Yoda Riding Position. I have a different bike now with a Russell. I am going to have Russell flatten it out a bit make the seat a tad more firm.

Archived