IGNORED

Number One in his Book

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

So, there I was, tooling down the Most Dangerous Highway in America, namely Interstate 15 between LA and Lost Wages, at at an energetic 85 mph, and some guy in a little Japanese tuner-car rolls right up on my backside, whips around me, slows down, to my speed and flips me the Bird... smile.gif

Sheesh. At least It's nice to know I am number one in his book... lmao.gif

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Jerry_75_Guy

Yep, been there too.

My 'favorite' incident was back when I used to do a little 15 mile sprint circuit out in the country on my bicycle each day; a bunch of kids in a VW bug decided it would be fun to try and spit on me as they drove by during an attempt to sideswipe me into the ditch.

I really believe that people like your driver and my 'kids', though they may not realize it at the time, are living in their own little self made hell: it doesn't occur to calm, moderately well adjusted people to do such things.

Hey! At least he saw you and didn't rear end you! grin.gif

Yup. Any day a denizen of the shallow end of the gene pool actually SEES you is a good day. thumbsup.gif

Were you by any chance in the fast lane?

That was my first thought as well. Not too many fingers given for cruising in the crusiing lanes, but plenty for cruising in the passing lane.

Well?

George Brown
Where exactly is that "fast lane"? Last time I checked they all had the same speed limit.
Where exactly is that "fast lane"? Last time I checked they all had the same speed limit.

This may be true, but the law is also "Keep Right, Pass Left" so even if you are exceeding the speed limit "cruising" in the "fast" or left lane, unless you are actively passing people in the other lanes, you should be traveling in the right lane.

Although most people don't seem to do this, especially NY drivers, the rule there seems to be whatever lane you're in at whatever speed you want to travel.

Here's a guidline to various state laws (but good luck at ever seeing enforcement):

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Virginia code says:

"§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action."

The fast lane aka the passing lane. The lane you are supposed to stay out of unless in the process of executing a pass of a vehicle in the lane to the right.

keepright.png

KeepRightExPass.gif

Yes, well, in Utah, if the signs followed behavior, they would read:

"Keep center...

Unless you feel like doing something else."

That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I wish the "keep right" signs were enforced, but for some reason we have this HUGE stigma in the USA that the worst thing you can possibly do is speed, so that's what gets the attention and that's what LEO's are guided to enforce. (In a residential area, I agree 100%, but on a freeway?)

russell_bynum

That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I wish the "keep right" signs were enforced, but for some reason we have this HUGE stigma in the USA that the worst thing you can possibly do is speed, so that's what gets the attention and that's what LEO's are guided to enforce. (In a residential area, I agree 100%, but on a freeway?)

+1

It might just be that there isn't enough lane to handle all of the cars. If a road is operating in excess of its capacity cars can and should use all of the lanes - its safer to have cars traveling at approximately the same speed rather than a congo line in the right lane below the speed limit and yahoos racing in the left lane at a much higher rate of speed.

Out on the open slab, I'd agree that the left lane should be passing only. On the other hand, I've been passing a spread of cars at 85 mph and some yahoo runs up my butt at 100 mph. I let him go by but I sure don't feel he's in the right - just a jerk I don't want to be near.

It's all relative.

On the other hand, I've been passing a spread of cars at 85 mph and some yahoo runs up my butt at 100 mph. I let him go by but I sure don't feel he's in the right - just a jerk I don't want to be near.

It's all relative.

Yup - relative. In Germany the faster car has the right-away. If you're holding up traffic, you get the ticket. You're in the wrong. The "yahoo" is right. THAT's where I wish the USA would come around and see the light.

Along with that German approach comes a whole lot of other aspects of living in Germany that most of us would not tolerate. The grass is always greener . . .

In France they are also very diligent about moving to the right. A car approaching politely puts on his left turn signal signaling that he wishes to overtake you, not follow you.

You're basically expected to pay attention behind you. You also are sure to make room for motorcycles splitting lanes. This can often include police (usually on RTP's). You move to the left to give them space. They often wave for giving them room in heavy traffic on the freeway.. especially if here's a truck in the center or right lane.

Archived