IGNORED

Shelf Life of Oil

Pictou

I found a 4 liter container of Mobil 1 Synthetic (Red Cap - 15w -50) when I was cleaning out a corner of my basement. I am guessing that this is at least 5 years old (as some of you probably know they don't make this product anymore). It is in a new sealed container. Is there a shelf life to oil? Is there any reason I can't use this for next oil change?

From the Mobil1 web site:

Question:

Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts

Does Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (in an unopened quart) have any sort of shelf life, like conventional motor oil?

Answer:

ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

Looks like you're good to go (and I wouldn't sweat it if it's a little over five years if still in a sealed container). BTW Mobil is still producing the 'red cap' formulation (although the cap is silver now, only the label is red.) They stopped making it for a while when the gold-cap 'Extended Performance' version was released, but re-introduced the original 15W-50 formulation last year. They are sold side-by-side in some stores, but other times you may have to look a bit for it.

And I thought the stuff was already millions of years old.
That's what I was going to say. Longer than any of us at any rate.

Personal opinion, "Shelf Life" on a lot of products is more about marketing, i.e. - throw it away to buy more, than it is about product performance.

Personal opinion, "Shelf Life" on a lot of products is more about marketing, i.e. - throw it away to buy more, than it is about product performance.

+1 but.......

I have a twinkee that expired in 1993, want it? lmao.gif

I have a twinkee that expired in 1993, want it?
[OT]My parents have an unopened can of Wyler's Lemonade that expired in 1976. I have to admit that I've been tempted to open it just to see what exactly is expired about it.[/OT]

5 year old synthetic oil? No problemo, use it.

In the future, any stocks of oil you keep around should be refrigerated to ensure maximum freshness. Synthetics can get a real skunky flavor if you leave them in a hot garage too long.

+1 but.......

Well to my own defense, I did say a "lot" of products, not all of them. Still, given what's in a 1993 model year Twinkie, even it is probably a safe bet!

Twinkees. Somehow that fits well in a thread on synthetics.

BTW, I didn't know that Twinkees expired.

i dunno about putting it in the fridge. on one of those long binge nights, grabbing that oil instead of a brewski could be dangerous.

BTW Mobil is still producing the 'red cap' formulation (although the cap is silver now, only the label is red.) They stopped making it for a while when the gold-cap 'Extended Performance' version was released, but re-introduced the original 15W-50 formulation last year. They are sold side-by-side in some stores, but other times you may have to look a bit for it.

I suspect the difference is that now, Mobil 1 is not longer truly synthetic. Like nearly all "synthetic" oils on the market now, the main constituent is no longer true synthetic feedstock, but actually Group III (super refined and wax isomerized) dino feedstock.

I suspect the difference is that now, Mobil 1 is not longer truly synthetic. Like nearly all "synthetic" oils on the market now, the main constituent is no longer true synthetic feedstock, but actually Group III (super refined and wax isomerized) dino feedstock.
That question is asked frequently but Mobil does not give a direct answer, only that various Mobil1 products are composed of 'a combination of polyalphaolefin, synthetic esters, and Group III base oils.' No doubt they don't want to get into any silly 'how much polyalphaolefin does your oil contain' debates with Amsoil et. al. as even that consideration is pretty much marketing voodoo these days.
That question is asked frequently but Mobil does not give a direct answer, only that various Mobil1 products are composed of 'a combination of polyalphaolefin, synthetic esters, and Group III base oils.' No doubt they don't want to get into any silly 'how much polyalphaolefin does your oil contain' debates with Amsoil et. al. as even that consideration is pretty much marketing voodoo these days.

Yes, I agree. Too many people without technical knowledge seem to think the presence of the word "synthetic" on an oil bottle gives magical properties to its contents. An example of this is the absurd belief that "synthetics" are so slippery that the engine will not break in properly (I wonder how so many cars including some BMWs that come from the factory filled with synthetic, survive the break in process).

What matters is how an oil performs, not the exact process by which it is made. There are no doubt pure synthetics that do not perform as well as some high quality Group III oils, just as there are examples of the opposite.

George Brown
I can't speak for all products but from my experience in the pharmaceutal industry, which is regulated by the FDA, companies must have data to support their expiration dating. Since it is expensive to continue to test their products beyond a point where most of the stuff is consummed they don't. However, behind the scenes, products that are returned well beyond their expiration date are often tested and found to be ok from both a safety and efficasy standpoint. But on the down side, one swallow does not make a spring. Would I use a pain killer that was two or three years beyond ED? Yes, it isn't going to hurt me and if I don't get the results I want I can go buy fresh ones. Would I use outdated anti-seizure medicine? Probably not.

I would not hesitate to use old oil. First of all 1 qt only represents 25% of the crankcase and, its only going to be in there for a few thousand miles or months. Secondly, since I don't plan on using any engine I have to the absolute end of its useful life, by feeling is any oil will do...just make sure something is in it.

Archived