IGNORED

Temperature/ Oil level linked to Engine Vibration

Survived-til-now

Survived-til-now

Two theories up for comment:

1. My engine vibrates less if the oil level is kept below the top of the sight glass - that simple or am I kidding myself?

2. My bike's engine is better in cold wet weather. My temperature readout is way out. Is the temperature sensor for the on board computer in any way linked to the fuel system - or is the temperature sensor for that separate. In other words should I get the heap of junk (i.e. air temp guage) sold to me as an extra sorted or just continue to ignore it and laugh!

Two theories up for comment:

1. My engine vibrates less if the oil level is kept below the top of the sight glass - that simple or am I kidding myself?

2. My bike's engine is better in cold wet weather. My temperature readout is way out. Is the temperature sensor for the on board computer in any way linked to the fuel system - or is the temperature sensor for that separate. In other words should I get the heap of junk (i.e. air temp guage) sold to me as an extra sorted or just continue to ignore it and laugh!

1. I think you a kidding yourself.

2. If your bike is an early model R1200RT the ambient temp sender is located under the rear mudguard, there is a mod to move it to under the front tupperware. I had mine moved and it is now accurate, but others have had different results.

Ian smile.gif

The temperature sensor for the computer is located in the air box. The sensor for the BC is either mounted on the rear fender (where the seat heater plugs in) or on the front fairing.

If the 'oilhead' motors are overfilled with oil they can be more 'vibey', due to internal crankcase pressures. If overfilled, the surplus oil is dumped into the airbox. Keep the level at the centre of the sight glass to prevent vibes and oil discharge.

All engines generally run better at lower temperatures. This is due to the higher oxygen density of cooler air. The temperature sensor for the fuel injection is in the airbox and monitors the incoming air temp/'density'.

AFAIK, the temperature display on the BC is from a separate sensor, and is merely a 'display' and is not used to compute any fuel injection parameters.

Archived