IGNORED

Rider Class

Hoover

I have been riding off and on for 20 years, much more off than on for the first 15. I stopped riding dirt bikes as a kid about the time I got my first car, and I stopped riding until about 5 years ago. I rediscovered my love for riding about 5 years ago and have been riding very steadily doing about 10,000 miles a year or more since that time.

A few years ago, my wife got tired of being a passenger and wanted to start riding her own motorcycle. Since she had never operated a motorcyle before I insited she take a basic rider course so I did not teach her my habits. She is very appreciative of what that class taught her, but she tells me that even with her class, I use skills that she does not feel she was ever taught.

I want to take a class to improve my skills. I feel like I handle a motorcycle very well, I think I make good choices, and have some riding friends that tell me I can do things on sport bikes, tourers and cruisers that they are pretty sure they can't do. However, it is apparent to me that while I am told this I still have allot to learn. I do not believe that I could pull off the figure 8 in a small box that my wife was required to do to pass her basic rider class. I also think that my cornering and choosing lines at higher speeds (like +20 or more over the posted limit) in a turn needs some work.

I know allot of riders ride at a faster pace constantly, and I typically choose not to, although I do ride that way from time to time, just not for long periods. Not so much because I do not believe in it (although I do believe there is a time and place for everything) it's more about having the skills to do it. I was never actaully taught anything by an "expert", I was just self taught, and perhaps some advice from friends or reading books like Proficient Motorcycling.

Have any of you taken a class so far into your riding career? If so what level did you go for? Did you go back to the basics, did you take an advanced course, or did you go right for a track day? I don't ever plan to race a motorcycle, but I am told a track day would teach me some skills that help the transitions in cornering, and choosing of the appropriate line through the twisties. I was thinking of the advanced rider course, the one I looked at covered many things that you would encounter on a trip, which is my favorite kind of ride. I was talking to some other riders and one was in my same situation and someone recommended she even go back and take the basic course again.

What have some of you done?

After the BRC, I took two Experienced RCs, then Ride Like a Pro, taught by a motorcycle LEO. This fall, I'm taking Freddie Spencer's High Performance Riding School. My plan is to take at least one riding course/year. Plus, the local junior college teaches the BRC, and I visit their facility and go through the BRC exercises ~once a month. In addition, I read books by Nick Ientash, Reg Pridmore and Lee Parks and practiced what they preach. You will be impressed by taking their lessons to heart and practicing them on the street. Each stress safety first, but they also teach techniques with will improve your speed and confidence in corners.

In my opinion, upgrading one's riding skills requires learning advanced skills and practicing regularly. Track days is where one can then put all the lessons together.

peterh

First (and only class) was last year: Total Control, (Lee Parks).

Highly recommended.

Trying to figure out how to fit in an ERC or track-school. Code if I hit the lottery! dopeslap.gif

I began riding in 1969. With no prior experience I bought a used bike, the guy showed me the shift pattern (IIRC up for first and down for 2, 3, 4) and off I went. With no riding friends, books, magazine training I moved through this bike, a couple of HDs, and a new 86 BMW K100RT just learning as I went along. I was forced to take the MSF ERC in 89 because I was living near a military base overseas and wanted access.

I started riding again last year after a 10 year lay-off and decided to do it right this time. I took the MSF BRC and with my new 2006 R1200RT I have taken their ERC and also two different advanced courses through motomark1.com and I have also studied and practiced exercises from two of David Hough's books (Proficient/More Proficient Motorcycling) available through Amazon. I intend to take more courses when I can including the ERC two-up and maybe even a track day.

The professional training and self study/practice has made a world of difference in my riding and enjoyment of the sport. I regret not having pursued training and self taught practice for all of those 27 years that I did without.

From my experience I would encourage you to take any training you can get and especially recommend David Hough's books.

Regards.

This fall, I'm taking Freddie Spencer's High Performance Riding School.

I've taken multi-day courses at both Freddie Spencer's and California Superbike School (Keith Code's). While both are excellent schools and both teach techniques that are useful in both street and track situations, I feel that on the whole, CSS is more useful for a street rider. Code is much better at breaking down the skills into their component parts and coming up with drills that focus on those components and show you how to apply them in different situations.

You'll have a blast at either one, but if you haven't already booked, I'd recommend you sign up with CSS.

Take a professional class before you do a track day. Otherwise you'll just reinforce bad habits and be intimidated as hell.

I've done Schwantz, Pridmore, Spencer, Code, and about 45 track days scattered in there. I did a write up comparing them in about two dozen categories if you want me to dig it up.

Riding well is primarily about your mental perspective/judgment, the basics of riding position, understanding how to control a motorcycle, and "seeing" things out there ahead of you. Those four basics are really what it comes down to, but having the last three without the first one will shorten your life. smile.gif

After having been riding continuously for over 40 years, about 3 years ago I took both the BRC and ERC. Partially just for the heck of it, and partially for the insurance discount. I was surprised, I learned a few things. Certainly worth a couple of weekends of a change of pace.

First (and only class) was last year: Total Control, (Lee Parks).

Highly recommended.

Trying to figure out how to fit in an ERC or track-school. Code if I hit the lottery! dopeslap.gif

I read Lee's book and got alot out of it.

I plan to take Code the next time they're in my area.

lawnchairboy

started riding in the 80's, then a decade break, then cruisers, then the RT. Retook the MSF BRC/ERC, did ride smart, and a two day code. I would not alter the sequence of those events if I could. I ride around 10k a year but expect that to be off significantly this year. Have fun. Get some basic training before the track day/schools, you'll have more fun I think...

good luck

chris

Archived