IGNORED

Dualsporting Friday afternoon at Torrey

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

Lisa and I arrived in Torrey just before noon on Friday, offloaded the bikes, and hit the road.

We zipped down 24 towards Capitol Reef, then turned on the Capitol Reef scenic drive. That turned out to be about 10 miles of fairly fun, tight twistes running down a canyon.

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

At the end of the road, we turned off onto the dirt. After a mile or so of nice easy dirt/gravel, we crossed the river for the first time and headed into the wash. The far side of the crossing was fairly steep and fairly loose. Lisa wasn't terribly pleased with my route selection.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

From there it was down ino the wash. The surface varied from deep sand the consistency of talcum powder, to hard-packed sand, to loose gravel, to mud. It wasn't terribly challenging, but it did keep us on our toes.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

The trail got narrow, and very rockyin a few places. Lisa was grumbling about beating me over the head with a crescent wrench.

IMG_0360.JPG

Still it was very pretty with the red rocks, the green, yellow, and occasionally red trees, and the blue sky.

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

Then it got really rocky. Lisa started talking about selling her dirt bike and using the proceeds to hire a divorce lawyer. eek.gif

IMG_0387.JPG

Then it got really rutted, and she started talking about selling her dirt bike and using the proceeds to hire a hit man. eek.gifeek.gif

IMG_0393.JPG

But, after every challenge was another rewarding view.

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Finally, we were up out of the wash and into a grassy meadow with a loose sandy road.

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

This was a really stunning view. The picture doesn't really do it justice...the colors were SO vivid.

Another river crossing, this one with a soft muddy bank.

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

Then we came to a steep switchback that was very deep, very loose sand. I volunteered to ride Lisa's bike up that stretch to win some points back. The little 200cc thumper is really anemic at altitude. I was basically pinned on the throttle and feathering the clutch to get the power and traction I needed. After a brief, but hilarious almost fall, we got through this section.

IMG_0418.JPG

There's where we're headed...the top of the mountain and UT-12.

IMG_0421.JPG

More spectacular scenery along the way.

IMG_0422.JPG

A few more washes to cross...lots of rocks everywhere.

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

And some more loose sand.

IMG_0429.JPG

This most definitely does not suck.

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

And finally, we came back to the pavement, up on UT-12.

IMG_0452.JPG

The aspens were doing their "Fall colors" thing for us.

IMG_0453.JPG

Looking back towards Capitol Reef and our starting point.

IMG_0457.JPG

Another bike passes going the other way.

IMG_0463.JPG

All in all, it was a very scenic ride. There were a few sections that were more difficult than Lisa would have preferred, and there really wasn't much of a place to rest...you were working fairly hard pretty much the whole time.

And, to make matters worse, we were complete idiots and forgot food. So...by the time we got back to Torrey (around 4:30pm), it had been 8 hours since we had any food. And four and a half of those hours were spent working our butts off on the dirt bikes.

Still, it was a beautiful ride and we enjoyed the scenery a bunch. I love how secluded this whole area is. We saw two other vehicles the whole time we were off road.

Most worthy!

Next time you can take the mule up it if you want a real challenge.

Oh and Norah, you better get that kid of yours a dirt bike soon.

Tom

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Not to steal your thumder Russell, but here is a 24 minute video of the first part of the ride. Up to the meadow, where the accidentally stopped taping and missed the rest.

Pleasant Creek Road

IMG_0387.JPG

BTW, watch your front tire pressure in that part of the country, Luke got a pinch flat going up those relatively small steps.

Nice job on finishing it out Lisa! thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
Say, did you have any trouble getting either of the bikes out of your truck?

Nope.

(That pic was as I was loading the DR200 into the truck, Goober. But you would have been proud of Matt. He snapped the picture before coming over to help. grin.gif )

russell_bynum

Not to steal your thumder Russell, but here is a 24 minute video of the first part of the ride. Up to the meadow, where the accidentally stopped taping and missed the rest.

Pleasant Creek Road

Excellent! I was hoping you'd have video. We were planning on running the helmet cam, but couldn't find all the cables we needed and didn't have time to replace them before we had to leave.

russell_bynum
So Lisa didn't get any pictures of you?

Just a couple.

This one, of me trying to get her bike up the steep sandy hairpin.

IMG_0418.JPG

And this one of me crossing the river.

IMG_0410.JPG

Very nice Russell. I personally woulda been shot by the end of 4 hours without food, so kudos to Lisa for hangin' in there.

russell_bynum

What, no mre's?

grin.gif

We had four of them in the truck...along with power bars and all other manner of snacks. We just forgot to bring any of that with us.

So Lisa didn't get any pictures of you?

No, but I did get a most excellent video of Russell trying to get my bike up that steep, deep rutted, sandy hairpin of doom, and him getting stuck! lmao.gif

BTW, the pix aren't doing anything justice...not how pretty it all was, nor how difficult some of the sections were. Looking at it now, it looks like a cakewalk, but it really was pretty hard. However, I only fell twice, which is, incidentally, how many times I fell on the easier road we did with Bob the next day, so I guess I'm feeling pretty good about the hard road, and pretty dumb about the easier road! (I say "easier" cause there still were some pretty sandy places, but for the most part, it was pretty manageable). My falls on the "easy" ride were totally stupid and avoidable. Not watching where I was going, mainly. dopeslap.gif BUT, I don't think (I may be wrong about this) there is any photographic evidence of my falls on our ride with Bob, so they never happened. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

No, but I did get a most excellent video of Russell trying to get my bike up that steep, deep rutted, sandy hairpin of doom, and him getting stuck

R: "Uuuhh...a little help?"

L: "I'm gettin' this on video tape right now!"

tongue.gif

i. I was not consulted about taking Lisa up there, it's not my fault!

b. That route looks a lot more washed out than the last time I did it.

How did it compare to spring Russell?

Would I be able to take the Tundra up there? It was real tight a couple of years ago.

russell_bynum
i. I was not consulted about taking Lisa up there, it's not my fault!

b. That route looks a lot more washed out than the last time I did it.

How did it compare to spring Russell?

Would I be able to take the Tundra up there? It was real tight a couple of years ago.

It was substantially more washed out than the spring. There was less water on the actual trail (less water in the crossings, etc) but it was obvious that the recent rains had done their damage.

I think the Tundra would be pretty challenged to make it. The two other vehicles we saw were lifted TJ's with big tires (and probably lockers).

Very nice pictures. Looks like a challenging but enjoyable ride. I bet you were running on empty after a workout like that without food.

Lisa, it seems to me that there was an admission that your bike is underpowered. frown.gif Seems to me like you are entiltled to a new bike of your choice! thumbsup.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Pleasant Creek Road

Excellent! I was hoping you'd have video. We were planning on running the helmet cam, but couldn't find all the cables we needed and didn't have time to replace them before we had to leave.

My new, easy to use set-up can be anywhere in the US within 3 days or so for about $20 including insurance.deal.gif(So long as you're good on your "replacement cost" gentleman's agreement. (I cannot afford another!))

Russell....

Maybe next May Torrey should be a dirt bike weekend for all that have dirt bikes and you can take us to retrace your trip.... Please

Great photos

Russell....

Maybe next May Torrey should be a dirt bike weekend for all that have dirt bikes and you can take us to retrace your trip.... Please

Great photos

We did that both this Torrey and last...

I have several more routes up my sleeve, some of them are 'interesting'. grin.gif

We are a bit limited by needing the routes to be GS'able and the fact that if we go into the park you have (are supposed) to be street legal.

russell_bynum
My new, easy to use set-up can be anywhere in the US within 3 days or so for about $20 including insurance.deal.gif(So long as you're good on your "replacement cost" gentleman's agreement. (I cannot afford another!))

What's your new setup? I've just got the little helmet cam (which is usually mounted in the nose of the CBR) which plugs into a camcorder. I know we'd be better off with a "no moving parts" recorder, but I can't yet justify the cost for something that wouldn't get used that often.

For some reason, we keep losing the cable that goes from the helmet cam to the camcorder. And it's some stupid proprietary Sony thing that you can never find in any stores.

This time I bought 2 replacements, which just means that I'll be twice as pissed when I can't find either one. dopeslap.gif

What's your new setup?

I'm guessing you missed this thread

We are a bit limited by needing the routes to be GS'able...

In that case, if I make it next spring, I'll keep the Scorps on the KTM, just to make it fair. grin.gif

P.S., I'm fully aware this is just a hanging soft ball for Phil, so have at it.

lurker.gif

russell_bynum

What's your new setup?

I'm guessing you missed this thread

Indeed I did, thanks.

That's a pretty sweet setup.

Course it would of been nuttin' to me and Kenny

That's cause Kenney's a studly trials guy dude, and you have long legs to bail you out!! tongue.gifgrin.gif

My falls on the "easy" ride were totally stupid and avoidable. Not watching where I was going, mainly. dopeslap.gif BUT, I don't think (I may be wrong about this) there is any photographic evidence of my falls on our ride with Bob, so they never happened. thumbsup.gif

There were, however, witnesses. PM me and we can start negotiating. grin.gif

I think you did an awesome job both days! I was pretty whipped after riding Tom's GS for, what, 20 minutes or so?

Archived