IGNORED

Stuttering When Wet

moshe_levy

Hello All-

My stuttering when wet problem continues.

Symptoms: After prolonged exposure to rain, bike runs poradically on one cylinder. This problem goes away if I keep the revs high. The problem persists for 2-3 days afterward, or if bike is exposed to extreme heat (which I assume means something wet is drying out).

So Far: I replaced the ign sensor (12-11-7-673-277) to no avail. I then tried replacing the coils, one at a time, thinking they are old and perhaps subject to water spray. That didn't do it either.

Dealer says the entire wiring harness may need replacing. Surely there is a more mthodical way to determine what's wrong here. Any ideas where to look next? The problem appeared a few months ago, out of the blue (as opposed to after I installed a new accessory, etc.). Bike is 2004 RT with 49,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

-MKL

Moshe,

Some basics.

Is it the same cylinder every time?

If so, then start with the silly stuff first....plug, plug cap/ignition wire and get them out of the way before delving deeper.

A DMM will help a lot with resistance figures..... thumbsup.gif

Symptoms: After prolonged exposure to rain, bike runs poradically on one cylinder. This problem goes away if I keep the revs high. The problem persists for 2-3 days afterward, or if bike is exposed to extreme heat (which I assume means something wet is drying out).

Next time it happens,check the TPS with a multi meter and watch the voltage.It should start at about .5 volts and rise smoothly thru about 5 volts as the throttle is twisted.I believe the red/white wire is the correct one on my older Rt,but it may be different on yours.

...or,use a very small baggie and enclose the switch and the wires where they go into the switch and drive in the rain,if the problem still exists then you need to look somewhere else.

I don't know much about how the in head coils work on the dual spark machines. Back in my AirHead days, on several occasions I had similar symtoms, and it was the spark plug wire or boot. A liberal spray of WD40 on the wires and/or boot cleared up the no spark condition. Replacing the wires and sealing the connection to the boots (RTV silicone) kept the problem from coming back.

Archived