IGNORED

What is the best Touring Jacket

texasaggie97

Just wanted to get some feedback on the best jackets you all would recommend for touring and daily use. I know that there are so many knowledgeable people on this site and I just want to know what you learned the hard way.

Thanks for your time

Geez, the "best" jacket debates among bikers are almost as interesting (and endless) as the "best oil" debates. blush.gif

If you could tell people the average temps/weather you plan to be riding in, you'll be able to get a LOT better info. Factors such as 3/4 length vs. jacket length, waterproof liner vs. waterproof fabric, venting and type of armor enter into the equation as well.

FWIW, if you have the dinero, check our Aerostitch products (as mentioned), BMW apparel and Motoport.

Good luck.

texasaggie97

thanks for the advice. I just sold my truck and I am going to use my GS for everyday use and I just wanted some feedback on the best gear. The Aerostich does look to be the best way to go.

Thanks for the feedback I can always count on you all to provide some good insight.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

The First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket (with Zip-out liner) is the best all around Jacket I've ever owned. And the matching First Gear Pants keep me totally warm, and dry if I happen to get caught in the rain.

I have had three and now have one all year jacket - AST Touring Jacket by Olympia.

The best thing is that it is three jackets in one with armor and is easy to get on and off. You can remove the outer part and have a mesh jacket for summer and then a full weather jacket for winter.

I paid ~$179 with shipping earlier this summer.

Here is the link to my website with a picture of it.

http://www.kc6tew.com/ridinggear/ridinggear.html

Mark

Lone_RT_rider
The First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket (with Zip-out liner) is the best all around Jacket I've ever owned. And the matching First Gear Pants keep me totally warm, and dry if I happen to get caught in the rain.

+1 on the Jacket. I had one for 5 years and about 70K miles. That thing was pretty well bulletproof.

Shawn

I'll chime in and say that on the 1150RT, I absolutely love my Olympia Airglide II. With the liner, I am comfortable with minimal layering down to about 40F. Without the liner, I'm good to around 90F, depending on humidity. I bought the Recon pants this weekend and it seems that this is going to be an outstanding setup for most weather here in the central Texas area. But whether it's the AST or Recon or AirGlide or whatever, I have GOT to plug Olympia- fantastic quality at a very reasonable price.

'Stitch' is a good selection. Then again just about anything you just bought for too much money will do fine until you justify another purchase. dopeslap.gif

I had a very nice First Gear 'Takai' from Chapparrall until I washed it and it exploded in the washer. Got it on sale for $70. So warm I never used the liner in it. Water proof too.

There's so much out there...

Won the 'Stitch at the Beemer Bash so I'm spoiled. lmao.gif

Price no object? Darien with liner and backpad (you have to add the backpad..about $560.

Price an object? Olympia AST. About $290 No contest, and IMO...

Have you looked at the Santiago jacket? It has some handy pockets and has an adjustable waste domuhhigee. Needless to say (but I will), it zips up with the Santiago pants...more for daily use...but with layering, it might work for touring depending on the weather that you might be in....just a thought. I also like my Olympia AST.

At times, it seems like I'm the only Spidi fan around here, but you might want to look at the Spidi Ergo jacket now that motonation has them on clearance for $367. It's not the jacket I'd choose for 110° F days, but it's one I'd seriously consider if I were looking for some of the jackets mentioned here.

ericfoerster

Whatever the one you decide, remember fit is key here. I’d be real hesitant to but online without a great return policy. From my understanding your scooter is now the primary source of transportation to you and the jacket will be a daily wear item.

You must get a jacket that fits your cycling needs.

All of the jackets listed here are good so you just need to find the one that fits the best. thumbsup.gif

www.newenough.com is a great place to look for jackets with great prices. You could ride over here and check them out in person.

I have a great Fieldsheer Congo sport in 3X I'll sell cheap. It's only been worn about 5 times, it's a bit warm for FL.

Another vote for Cycleport. The BEST in protection, Kevlar mesh is cool in SoCal heat, liner is H20 proof and warm in the cold.

texasaggie97

Great advice I have a joe rocket 5.0 jacket and it is ok just I need something that fit better and will be more fitting for my needs. I am so grateful for all the advice I have received here now I just have to make a decision.

Thanks for all the help

Joe Rocket Alter Ego. The zip-offs to the mesh underneath makes it nice in the summer. With them on - the spring and fall are fine.. You can sweater up in the winter unless it is just freezing, and who wants to ride then.

Mark

I also have the Kilimanjaro jacket with the zip-out liner and like it quite well. It is great for 3 seasons, and with my Gerbings heated jacket liner, does well in the frigid temps too.

The only thing I don't like is all that velcro to fuss with, and the fact that I can't seem to safely unzip the vents while riding.

Jay

For cold weather (well cold for Australia)/wet weather BMW Streetguard (plus layers). For warmer weather (i.e. stinking hot 90 degrees plus with 90% or more humidity) I brought a Cycleport/Motoport Mesh Kevlar Jacket which I will be using this coming summer thumbsup.gif. I did have a perforated Vanson leather jacket but found it too hot and heavy when temps rise bncry.gif

I have had three and now have one all year jacket - AST Touring Jacket by Olympia.

The best thing is that it is three jackets in one with armor and is easy to get on and off. You can remove the outer part and have a mesh jacket for summer and then a full weather jacket for winter.

I paid ~$179 with shipping earlier this summer.

Here is the link to my website with a picture of it.

http://www.kc6tew.com/ridinggear/ridinggear.html

Mark

ack - I just read your page and I agree. The AST does not breathe. The 2! vents don't really work. For me, it's a cold weather jacket, so I'm ok with it.

I didn't listen to the salesman and since I ride with pants on, I bought the ranger pants too small. I like them so I ordered the larger since. I wish they came in shorter lengths.

I just shopped the FirstGear Ranier vs. the Olympia AST. I ended up with the Olympia because it fit better. With the Ranier I was in between an L and XL. The FG liner was a nicer jacket that you might actually wear by itself. So far the Olympia is great, but I'd give FG another try next time.

I've spent a good three weeks looking for riding clothes myself. After having a large order shipped to the house, and going to every bike shop in a 40 mi radius, I kept a First Gear Mesh Jacket, XL-Tall, which is great. I opted for the silver with reflective piping. Only thing I would change on that is to add more velcro on the wrist adjustment so it could be worn completely open, and not have the flap dangling around. Extremely comfortable.

This has been sooo good riding on warm days, I would not go back to leather. For me, the body armor is not an option, and, the liner has worked great when the evening chills rolled in. If I need more than that, I have a Mountain Hardware HD ski type, Gortex top to wear over the FG. Great system for me.

I have ordered a pair of the Mesh-Tex 2.0 pants for $119 from the Motorcycle Superstore, online. The only ones I have seen that have a line spefically made for people with short legs. I spent hours in the stores trying on clothes. Had to order both items, as neither were available from any dealers nearby.

My FirstGear Kilimanjaro IV has served me very well - keeping me warm at 38 degress F and comfortable to almost 90 degress F (before it gets just a bit too warm), keeps me dry as a bone in pouring rain, and I love the way it protected me (nary a scratch) in a 55 mph get-off after being rammed by a four-point buck (the outer layer allowed me to slide before abrading off, the next layer (different material) provided more protection while I slowed to a stop and the third layer remained in place to hold the armour just where I needed it.).

I decided to replace my old Tourmaster jacket when I got the new bike. I looked around like you are and finally went back to Tourmaster and ordered a new "Transition" jacket. When I got it, I could not believe my eyes. It cost less than half as much as the more talked about jackets and DAMN! This thing is cool!! My old one was kinda plain-jane, This thing is techno crazy! Extremely good deal for the money.

If you live in a multi-seasonable (if there is such a word)

climate like I do, there is no Best. Thats why I have 6 and counting. Too many jackets-never! thumbsup.gif

I'll add a last minute 'Thumbs Up' for the Tourmaster. I've gone through three Kilamanjaros in the last ten years, and I LOVED them!

Having said that, I was on a trip with a bunch of my BMW friends riding through Idaho, and we stopped into a big shop and 'discovered' the Tourmaster brand. (Tourmaster is not available - or not readily available - in Canada.)

For $149 USD (the FULL RETAIL, UNDISCOUNTED price), the Tourmaster is almost impossible to beat. One of the guys on my trip bought two jackets (different colours) and says he will buy a third. Another one of the guys in our group returned on another trip to the U.S. a few weeks later with his wife and bought her an entirely new outfit.

All these folks I'm referring to are hard-core motorcyclists with more than thirty years riding experience, and they all own Kilimanjaros or Kenyas.

The Tourmaster Transition has many very clever details built into the jacket, such as colour-keyed snaps for securing the liner to the outer jacket, a snap to secure the collar tang so the wind doesn't slap it around making it hit you, and very good venting.

The one and only downside of the Transition jacket is that it lacks the plethora of chest pockets the Kilamanjaro has.

Take a look at the Tourmaster Transition - I can't imagine a better bang for the buck, and the build quality is very, very good.

FWIW.

Cheers.

Archived