IGNORED

rim repair

dplemmons

I struck a loading ramp the other day that someone dropped(going 65 mph on the interstate) while riding my 2003 R1150RS. The front tire was punctured and the front rim is bent and cracked. I've found a replacement for the front wheel at beemerboneyard.com.

My rear rim has a seemingly minor bend in it (not enough to deflate the tire) by the sidewall. Question: is there any hope in having the rim repaired by a local shop, etc., or should I start looking for a replacement? Thanks for any advice!

Daryle

If the front was damaged to the point it was, the rear took a bad hit as well. I wouldn't trust it. The replacement will be good piece of mind.

If the rear bend seems minor it can probably be repaired to better-than-new specs by a qualified shop. This is done all the time on alloy wheels for both cars and motorcycles.

I can vouch for the fact that there are companies out there that will straighten bmw rims. There are two in Metro Vancouver alone. Mine cost $150 including dismounting the old tire, remounting and balancing a new tire. The did a very good job taking out a four inch minor bend at the bead.

If the ding in the rear is relatively minor, you can always leave it -- I rode with one for almost three years.

Finally got around to straightening it last year with a shop press. Pretty scary at the time, but really a simple DIY-type job if not too badly mangled.

I straightened both my rims (with the tires still mounted) in a humongous vise using misc stuff to protect the rim paint and distribute the force. the damage now can't be seen even if pointed out to anyone. The flange was bent out about 3/16 inch max for about 4 inches total. It took a surprising amount of force. The vise was effective as I could keep track of the deformation via the handle angle.

Archived