IGNORED

Tire inflation - damage?

aal3

It's kind of a long story, but my ended up riding my r12s a few miles with the front tire pressure at 60 and the rear at 80! (Gas station pressure gauge showed about 32 and 35.) Any damage that might have been caused? I put it down to about 32 and 40 and rode about 5 miles, and everything seems ok. Thanks.

I thought the tire manufacturers had to allow the tires to reach 2x the rated pressure without failure.

60psi... no problem. But 80psi? I'm amazed the tire didn't fail. I'm not a tire expert, but I suppose it could have stretched the steel, nylon or polyester belts. I don't know the typical construction of most motorcycle tires.

FYI for puture reference, never trust the gauges on the gas stations. Buy a cheap bicycle pump. It's normally around 5-8 strokes per psi. It's just easier then messing with compressed air.

If you mean that you checked it when you arrived home and the tires were still hot, you should be fine. If you pumped it up to 80 cold and THEN ran it on a hot day for awhile, that could be a bit much.

I used to put 65 psi in big sedans with 60 or 70 series tires in order to run them in Slalon and SOLO events. If you don't you could put wear on the sidewalls halfway to the rim. That means they were showing 85 at the end of a run and the tires said 40 psi max. I recently sold a car that got that treatment repeatedly over 6,000 miles on the tires and they are fine. I wouldn't think a motorcycle would be dramatically different.

I doubt you did any damage. If you are worried about it, then you might visually inspect them a little more often than usual looking for bulging or cracks in the carcass, but you are unlikely to have hurt anything.

Jay

But 80psi? I'm amazed the tire didn't fail. .

I can't even get mine to seat on the rims before 80 psi. You did not hurt them in the least bit.

Survived-til-now

If you are really worried and want peace of mind then e-mail the guys at the tyre manufacturer - go to their website and technical dept contact details. They will give you a party line but it will give you a good steer.

My guess is that you will not have done any harm at all. Bicycle tyres are routinely inflated to 50 - 60 lbs and they are a lot flimsier than motorcycle tyres. Put another way - most motorcycle tyres can be ridden flat and suffer no damage as long as it isn't for too far.

They are tough tyres handbuilt for lots of safety margin - you have have got to do a lot to damage them

Andy

Bicycle tyres are routinely inflated to 50 - 60 lbs and they are a lot flimsier than motorcycle tyres. Put another way - most motorcycle tyres can be ridden flat and suffer no damage as long as it isn't for too far.
I typically inflate my bicycle tires (tyres? grin.gif) to 120 to 135 psi,eek.gif but the bicycle tires and rims are designed for this sort of pressure. As tires get larger or wider the pressure typically goes down - which is why my mountain bike tires only need about 45psi. Or to put it another way, ya need A LOT of pressure to support an adult on a skinny little bicycle tire!

Check the max pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire - this is typically much higher than what manufacturers will recommend for "normal" usage. Depending upon the tire/brand, 60psi may not be that much over the max rating.

Greg

I can't even get mine to seat on the rims before 80 psi. You did not hurt them in the least bit.
That was my thought. It often takes a lot more pressure to pop the bead on most any tire, bike or cage. I think 80 psi for a short period of time a non-issue.

Now, if the tire blows 6K from now don't sue me! Remember everything here are only rumors! Besides, I don't have any money to sue for anyway!

Having had significant changes in my vision the last few years, this is my story on tire pressure. I was inflating the tires for my kayak dolly, and thought it said 24lbs. So, I inflated to 24 lbs, and thought the sun had dried the tires, as they were severely cracked. Once I got the dolly in the driveway and could better see the recommendation, it was 2-4lbs! Amazing the tires did not blow. I am more careful now, and double check, cleaning the rubber to see what the recommended pressure is.

Archived