IGNORED

New Tires in Indianapolis

swfraley

I've never installed my own tires, but it's time. Before I buy some, I thought I'd check and see if anyone here could help me do front and rear tires on a 2000 R1100RT in Indy. I was hoping to buy them this week and put them on some time in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone around?

John Ranalletta

I'd be happy to help and I've got a balancer, but you gotta' know I wrestle tires on and off with a handful of tire irons - no fancy equipment.

Also, I don't have a bead breaker, but we can kludge one together.

It ain't pretty, but it works. I've never had a tire complain.

Stuart,

Like John, I just tackle them with rim protectors and tire irons. No, it's not pretty, but it works. I built a bead-breaker out of scrap 2x4's. Works fine. I'm in Broad Ripple. Yell if you need a hand.

Todd

Stuart,

Another option is to take the wheels to Indy Super Bikes, 9725 Kincaid Dr, Fishers, IN 46038 (317) 577-1743. They charged about $42.00 to mount and balance my last set of tires in September.

Another option is depending on your location is Flat-Out Motorcycles, 8118 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46219 (317) 890-9110. They charge abound $80.00 for the service.

Thanks for the input, guys. Thomas, will Flat Out take the tires off the bike? I like Indy SuperBikes a lot, but I don't have a way to support the bike with both tires off.

I'm making a bigger deal of this than I need to, right?

John Ranalletta
Thanks for the input, guys. Thomas, will Flat Out take the tires off the bike? I like Indy SuperBikes a lot, but I don't have a way to support the bike with both tires off.

I'm making a bigger deal of this than I need to, right?

• Put the bike on the centerstand
  • Attach the side cases with some weight in them
  • Use a tie down to attach the center stand to some point forward to keep it from accidently collapsing
  • Remove the front wheel
  • Place a rigid stand or milk crate under ( a couple inches lower than) the front forks
  • Remove the side cases to allow the rear to raise and the forks to rest on the crate
  • Remove the rear wheel

John Ranalletta
John--

Sent you a pm.

If anybody who knows what the hell they're doing wants to provide adult supervision, let me know. dopeslap.gif

Archived