IGNORED

has anyone changed a front shock on an RT-P?

KER

Im looking at installing a new front shock (current one has 63k miles) and noticed the normal way of removing the shock is not possible because the crash guard frame sits right in front of the shock preventing it from pivoting out of place. So, has anyone had experience in remove the front shock on an RT-P? The only way i see of doing it is to remove the leading link (A-arm) so the shock can be totally dropped down and be removed. is this the only way or is there something simple that im not seeing?

here is a shot of the shock and the frame. The piece that is in front the shock is actually welded to the frame, so it wont come off.

IMG_1702%20(Small).jpg

Im looking at installing a new front shock (current one has 63k miles) and noticed the normal way of removing the shock is not possible because the crash guard frame sits right in front of the shock preventing it from pivoting out of place. So, has anyone had experience in remove the front shock on an RT-P? The only way i see of doing it is to remove the leading link (A-arm) so the shock can be totally dropped down and be removed. is this the only way or is there something simple that im not seeing?

here is a shot of the shock and the frame. The piece that is in front the shock is actually welded to the frame, so it wont come off.

It's a b*tch-and-a-half.

You are correct. BMW decided to create its own little "sub-frame" just for the front crash bar. It was a pain in the b*tt getting the transmission off due to the rear portion of the mount wrapping around the transmission, and it was nuts getting the front strut off due to the front of that sub-frame.

I declined to disassemble that "A-arm". Instead, I disassembled the crash bar mount. There are about six bolts attaching it to the bike, three on either side including one that traverses the bike frame, the two in the front of the mount (vi sable in your picture) which connect the "round" portion of the bar to the rest of the sub-frame mount. I had the wheel, front fender, and front alternator belt cover off (as well as the Tupperware, gas tank, etc.) for alt. belt R&R and HES rewiring anyway. I also had to loosen the front brake lines and remove the OEM horn (no problem; it's been replaced as well). It was a lot of work, but technically simpler than disassembling that A-arm, in my opinion. Once the bolts are removed, and the front portion of the bar is removed, I pulled the crash bar mount sub-frame forward and upward to get the shock to J-U-S-T clear the frame.

The other fun task is finding a "boxed end" torque wrench to torque that shock tight after mounting it.

By the way, as I recall, the "A-arm" is also blocked from dropping below a certain point by something else (can't recall) unique to an RT-P, so disconnecting it from the ball joint may not solve the problem. I'd have to look at it again, but with the RT-P crash mount subframe entirely removed, the A-arm still did not drop enough to pull the shock out. I had to compress the spring, and as mentioned, move the front brake line.)

Good luck .. Scott

Archived