IGNORED

Comparing dealers

Jon_M

I rode my /2 down to Irv Seaver's in Orange County today to look at some of their vintage bikes and check on some parts. As usual on the weekend, the place was extremely busy, with all the parking slots filled, all the sales personnel busy answering questions, closing deals, and giving test rides. I would guess there were 25 or so people milling around.

On the way back home, Brown's in Pomona was just a little out of the way, so I detoured over there to see what they had in the way of vintage stuff. It was a graveyard. Parking lot was practically empty and I only saw a couple of customers, one buying a Vespa and another dropping off an airhead for service. They had a free lunch setup but no one was eating (this was at about 1 pm). I saw three people in the showroom.

I'm not sure why I am reporting this, except that it really surprised me to see the difference in energy in two old-line dealers within a few miles of each other. Is there something going on at Brown's that would account for the strange quiet around the place?

Can't address your question, but I would like to say you're lucky to have two dealers to choose from. There is one in Utah with the next closest being about 350 miles away. Competition can be a good thing. We have petitioned BMWNA to allow the independent BMW shop to become a dealer and warranty repair shop, but, I understand they keep getting turned down.

Can't address your question, but I would like to say you're lucky to have two dealers to choose from.
I agree. I've dealt with Irv Seaver since I bought an R100RT there in the mid-eighties. I like the place and will stick with them but I've also had some good exchanges with Brown from time to time. We've also got a new dealership in Ventura County and another, re-jiggered one in Long Beach --all within a radius of about 50 miles of where I live.

I have purchased 5 BMW motorcycles in the last 7 years,1 from Martys BMW and 4 from Brown motor works.I went to Irv Seavers BMW first for all 5 motorcycles but could never strike a deal.The parts people at both dealerships are great.

Malhusky

At least you have a dealer; we have none within 100 miles now.

Interestingly, BMW won't give the time of day to a really good service shop here that wanted a dealership.

We have 2.1 million people but no dealer. Seems strange

While we are blessed with, I think, 9 dealerships from San Diego to Ventura (200 miles north/south) we are equally cursed with at least 10 million people here in the L.A. basin and gridlock traffic on the freeways most of the time.

I rode my /2 down to Irv Seaver's in Orange County today to look at some of their vintage bikes and check on some parts. As usual on the weekend, the place was extremely busy, with all the parking slots filled, all the sales personnel busy answering questions, closing deals, and giving test rides. I would guess there were 25 or so people milling around.

On the way back home, Brown's in Pomona was just a little out of the way, so I detoured over there to see what they had in the way of vintage stuff. It was a graveyard. Parking lot was practically empty and I only saw a couple of customers, one buying a Vespa and another dropping off an airhead for service. They had a free lunch setup but no one was eating (this was at about 1 pm). I saw three people in the showroom.

I'm not sure why I am reporting this, except that it really surprised me to see the difference in energy in two old-line dealers within a few miles of each other. Is there something going on at Brown's that would account for the strange quiet around the place?

Yes there is. Our dealership is always much quieter on weekends during the L.A. County Fair at the Pomona Fairgrounds, just 4 miles away. A lot of our customers take advantage of the fair to do something special with their families, putting their motorcycles and motorcycling needs on hold for a couple of weekends. Interestingly, our weekdays are actually much busier during the fair, so overall business stays about the same or even goes up (as is the case this year). It just shifts from the weekends to the weekdays for a few weeks.

Archived