IGNORED

How to access taillight bulbs on an RT

catneck

Another new guy question.

I was just doing some tinkering. In order to change a taillight bulb I had a 20 minute ordeal-pop the seat, pull the side cover, unscrew the rear fairing below the taillight, remove rear fairing panel, replace bulb.

Am I missing something, or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Chris

A 12 point socket (sorry I don't know the size) can be useful in this.

Be careful when tightening back up.

Too much torque & you could break the plastic nut.

Insufficient torque on both & you could have the assembly fall off.

Some install a single rubber-band around both installed nuts to prevent the nuts from loosening..

Pretty simple:

Remove passenger seat.

Reach back into the "trunk" space towards the tail light.

There are two knurled knobs.

Turn them and remove them (remember where you set them down - they have magical powers and disappear).

The entire tail light assembly should slide out giving you easy access to all the bulbs.

In other words - what he said: thumbsup.gif

I just have to remove the seat, remove the two knurled knobs on the taillight assembly, then remove the bulbholder. Couple minutes. Mine is a '96.
Some install a single rubber-band around both installed nuts to prevent the nuts from loosening..

Good one. Forgot to mention that. I added those "star-type" locking washers to mine after reaching my destination one day to find the whole assembly swinging in the breeze. Who knows how long it had been that way. You'd think someone would have signalled me.............

A 12 point socket (sorry I don't know the size) can be useful in this.

21mm is the size.

Wow, that is much easier.

Thanks, now I will reassemble the rear of the bike.

Doh!

My nuts kept falling off, also. tongue.gif I replaced the plastic ones with washers and lock nuts with the nylon inserts. No further problems.

Archived