IGNORED

Kanetsu v Gerbing

farmerp

Hi,

The general consensus is,the Kanetsu will make you feel warmer,but the Gerbings will make you toasty warm(better!).

I actually prefer the Warm n Safe heated liner myself www.warmnsafe.com over the Gerbings.

Warm n Safe gives discounts too,I believe we are among the groups that qualify.

JR356

For $137.00 it's pretty hard to go wrong.And they come without a high collar, which is what I was looking for.

But,depending on the size you are looking for, they might be out of stock before you make up your mind.

I got the last green(100wht. fleece) in size large on Friday. The grey (200wht. fleece)sizes were pretty well picked clean by then also.

Jerry_75_Guy
For $137.00 it's pretty hard to go wrong.And they come without a high collar, which is what I was looking for.

Trust me on this; the high, and heated, collar is a good thing. Fold it down when you don't need it, love the fact that it's there when you need it.

A wise man once told me (regarding radar detectors wink.gif) pay your money and cry once; your gonna want Gerbings eventually.

A wise man once told me (regarding radar detectors wink.gif) pay your money and cry once; your gonna want Gerbings eventually.

I first made one with directions out of the MOA magizine, then bought 2 Aerostich brands, then went to Gerbings, so for me that is a very true quote....

I've got a Kanetsu and I like it, but if you're looking for maximum heat output, Gerbings is the way to go. The nice thing about the Kanetsu is that it is made for the Darien and zips right into it. It makes a nice, convenient cool/cold weather jacket. However, the Kanetsu is somewhat loose fitting and will not directly transfer nearly as much heat to your body. I'd describe it as giving you a cozy, warm feeling. The stuff from Gerbings, Widder, etc., which fit much more closely, will directly transfer a lot more heat to your body, so much so that you can crank them up to the "uncomfortably hot" zone.

If you've got a Darien jacket and don't ride in extreme cold, I'd recommend the Kanetsu. But if you have another jacket or if you ride in very cold temperatures, Gerbings or Widder would be the better choice.

I agree with the comment earlier about paying once and then its over. After looking around a lot I settled on the Gerbings and ordered from US (I'm in Aus). The main reason I went for the Gerbings for my wife was the fact that they offer a fully integrated solution and not just a jacket or gloves on their own. With Gerbings everything connects together.

As for operation, it is truly first class. My wife has been silent and toasty all winter. Money well spent in my opinion. The only issue I have is that the pants are not a good fit at all, despite having provided exact measurements to Gerbings. In the States you will not have this problem though.

Go for it, you'll not regret it. It really is quality stuff!

I ordered that aerostich jacket (windstopper), and was pleased with it, except for the fit was way too wide around the gut, while it fit my arms and shoulders nicely. It went back, and I got the vest. That has treated me pretty well for a couple years, but if I were to do it over, I'd still prefer the jacket (although the vest has a few strong points too). I got my girl a Gerbings a few months ago, and she's tickled with it. They have a wide variety of sizing options, whereas the kanetsus I think are s,m,l... Both are very well made, so I doubt you'd be dissapointed with the quality of either. I can't comment on whether one's warmer than the other, although the tall collar appears to be desirable. Originally, I got the aerostich because I was under the impression that the gerbings weren't insulated at all, but I've since realized that they do have thinsulate in them. So try the aerostich, that's a great price! If it fits nicely, great, if it doesn't, go for the gerbings. If you lack the all american beer gut, just get the gerbings. Whatever you do, order two or three sizes, and ship the misfits back - that's still cheaper than reordering a different size after the fact. Thermostat is usually recommended, but can easily be added later.

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

Had a Kanetsu and just sold it. As others have said it is not toasty but cozy. Also it was bulkier then I liked. Have been a happy warm n safe guy for 2 years and two trips from The NE to Daytona started on single number mornings. Don't dis the collars a warm neck is your friend.

ive used both. kanetsu is warm and pulls less power. good for most riding, but for true year round riding a full gerbing jacket/pants/socks/gloves cant be beat. Pulls a lot of power and takes a while to get everything hooked up, but you can ride thru any temps. allows u to use less layers too so u dont feel like marshmellow man under 4-5 layers. with the gerbings, i used aninsulating layer, the gerbings, and my aersotich suit.

ive used both. kanetsu is warm and pulls less power. good for most riding, but for true year round riding a full gerbing jacket/pants/socks/gloves cant be beat. Pulls a lot of power and takes a while to get everything hooked up, but you can ride thru any temps. allows u to use less layers too so u dont feel like marshmellow man under 4-5 layers. with the gerbings, i used aninsulating layer, the gerbings, and my aersotich suit.

I use all of that, am good to 0 degrees. Of course up here I wear that for 8 months out of the year. Do I get strange looks.

• 2 months later...
Had a Kanetsu and just sold it. As others have said it is not toasty but cozy.

Hi. I am buying a used one off a board member. This will be my first piece of electric clothing. Now I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a thermostat for it. From what you say, I would infer that a thermostat may not be needed. Would you say that is correct or not? TIA.

---John.

Archived