IGNORED

Oil light flickering on

Edgar

My ’97 R1100RT with the correct amount of oil in it, a BMW filter and no leaking oil had the oil light flicker on then off and then mostly off. At idle it was not on but flickered some times at higher RPM’s. I didn’t go too far, so the info is pretty limited. It was dark and late so I’ll wait till tomorrow to look at it. I’ll check the wiring, but are there any quick tests on the sensor?

If it happens at higher rpm's, I would check and clean terminal contacts on pressure switch first. Can't find any resistance figures re the oil switch in the manual.

My ’97 R1100RT with the correct amount of oil in it, a BMW filter and no leaking oil had the oil light flicker on then off and then mostly off. At idle it was not on but flickered some times at higher RPM’s. I didn’t go too far, so the info is pretty limited. It was dark and late so I’ll wait till tomorrow to look at it. I’ll check the wiring, but are there any quick tests on the sensor?

Gary,

Trace the wire from the sensor all the way back into the harness. It is probably just shorting to the engine somewhere.

The pressure sensor is nothing but a switch. With oil pressure the switch is Open. No pressure, the switch is shorted to ground.

Mick

Trace the wire from the sensor all the way back into the harness. It is probably just shorting to the engine somewhere.

The pressure sensor is nothing but a switch. With oil pressure the switch is Open. No pressure, the switch is shorted to ground. Mick

This sounds right. To confirm, unplug the oil pressure switch, and see if it is still doing it (make sure to not to forget to plug it back in). Also make sure that it is clean and not covered with anything conductive.

Last if not first....check your oil pressure. On most oil switches, the pressure has to be dangerously low for it to come on.

In the light of the day when I checked the sensor I saw that the wire wasn’t attached,dopeslap.gifhence the intermittent light. Thanks everyone.

In the light of the day when I checked the sensor I saw that the wire wasn’t attached,dopeslap.gifhence the intermittent light. Thanks everyone.

That would do it ooo.gif

Archived