IGNORED

Kisan headlight modulator

Lawman

Call me paranoid but I'm a little skeptical..What is the chance that the use of the Kisan headlight modulator on the R1200RT could result in the failure of the left headlight to burn..All the other lights worked perfectly..Was told that the Kisan plug must not have been properly seated and all that was necessary was to unplug it and plug it back in..Once that was done it began working perfectly..It took the technician 2 hours to find and correct....

I just got my Kisan modulator for my ST, and it is a fact that if it is not seated properly the headlights will not work.

My problem is that it does not have a latch built on to it, so they tend to vibrate out. I would suggest putting a strip of electrical tape around the housings to keep that from happening.

JT

Call me paranoid but I'm a little skeptical..What is the chance that the use of the Kisan headlight modulator on the R1200RT could result in the failure of the left headlight to burn..All the other lights worked perfectly..Was told that the Kisan plug must not have been properly seated and all that was necessary was to unplug it and plug it back in..Once that was done it began working perfectly..It took the technician 2 hours to find and correct....
Some time back I posted a message about a complete headlight failure on my R12RT. All three lights went out at once. I ended up with a complete replacement of the whole unit on warranty, but so far I have not been willing to put my Kisan modulator back on. I am a little antsy about it. It was a bear to plug in to begin with (it should be straightforward, but the socket would not mate up with the pins on the BMW plug), and as much as I like what it does, I am so far not willing to risk another major light failure. So it's on the shelf.

I would use a nylon zip tie (tie wrap) instead of electrical tape. the Kissans are designed such that any failure of the electronics will not result in the loss of use of the bulb it is attached to. This may be a requirment of the USDOT also.

How exactly would you place this zip tie on an R1200 series bike? I couldnt find a way to do that, but maybe Im just blind :P

Haven't got a clue. But generally speaking you can usually get a zip tie around two connectors by running it in between the wires. You may have to use multiple ties to do what you need. It will last longer than electrical tape.

I installed a kisan modulator in April 06 on an 06 RT. Sometimes everything worked and sometimes all or one of my headlights would be out. After dielectric grease, trying new bulbs taping the unit in place and a trip to the dealer, I finally called Kisan. (I used their modulators on other bikes with no problem) Turns out they had designed them poorly and now had a new design that would work. They sent a new one and it has worked fine. It was disappointing that they continued to sell the ones they knew were defective.

Scott

Turns out they had designed them poorly and now had a new design that would work. They sent a new one and it has worked fine. It was disappointing that they continued to sell the ones they knew were defective.

Scott

Now I know I'm not going to put mine back on. I'll give them a call and see what they say about replacing it.

Well, I have tried several times to get my new one to work and its a no-go. It just won't stay attached tothe 6-pin connector.

I guess I'll be callign too.

JT

I put the modulator only on the high beam so that a failure would not impact the low beams. However, the computer gives me a warning signal in synch with the flashing bulb (has a forward pointing arrow by the bulb symbol) so I know it is working. At night, the light sensor turns the modulator off and there is no warning symbol displayed.

I am considering a dual HID system for the two H-7 low beam bulbs.

I also have the taillight modulator installed and get both the yellow warning triangle and a rear pointing arrow beside the bulb when I hit the rear brake pedal.

I carry spare headlight bulbs and a spare taillight bulb.

BTW. the 25% power square wave signal for low rear bulb power sure is a flaky way to have low and high light from a single filiment bulb. Seems another wire and a double filiment bulb would not have added much weight and is proven technology over the last 40 years or so.

YMMV wave.gif

BTW. the 25% power square wave signal for low rear bulb power sure is a flaky way to have low and high light from a single filiment bulb. Seems another wire and a double filiment bulb would not have added much weight and is proven technology over the last 40 years or so.

YMMV wave.gif

Are you talking about the stock bulb and circuit?

Check this thread. R1200RT tail/BRAKE light The attachments show that the single filment tail/BRAKE light is powered by a modulated 12 volt pulse for the dimmer tail light function and then full 12 volts for the brake light function. This has been an issue for those of us trying to add other lights or trailers to the R1200RT.

Buckster

Archived