IGNORED

Honda's new dual sport

TowJam

I want, I want, I want clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

They've never sold the Transalp in the US, why?

Is this correct?

Seems there are always a few used ones for sale on ADVRider.com and other sources,seems to be more available than just a few snuck in,as is common with a lot of "Grey Market" vehicles.

JR356

sold in 89 & 90 in the US. it was a test by honda.

didn't sell well then as the US market didn't understand the bike. honda quickly pulled the bike and essentailly killed the whole large displacement Japanese dual sport market momentum to this day. it's been a long road to recovery & i think it will take yamaha bring the tenere to the US to open the competition doors. the tenere is the only Japanese model to have even the slightest competition to KTMs & BMWs dual sport lead. has become a cult classic since.

go to advrider.com http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262153&page=6 for a lot of discussion on the bike. seems honda only did a rework on the bike and may feel it'll be a heavy pig. honda missed the mark again and has turned into a has been company as far as inovation.

if you buy the bike for paved road it will work great though. look at the "skid plate" and you see honda's intentions for the bike. how is that suppose to stop the road debris? http://www.hondamc.se/homc/templates/Model____9445.aspx click on the "bilder" button for extensive pics & options.

Is this correct?

Seems there are always a few used ones for sale on ADVRider.com and other sources,seems to be more available than just a few snuck in,as is common with a lot of "Grey Market" vehicles.

JR356

the tenere is the only Japanese model to have even the slightest competition to KTMs & BMWs dual sport lead. has become a cult classic since.
Competition in what sense? I bet the KLR has hugely outsold the KTM and BMW GS models and it's a better dual sport machine than a GS too.

Big deal.

It has 19/17 inch wheels, which are no good for off-road.

Besides, it looks like a Triumph Tiger, only one cylinder shy. Therefore, it won't sound nearly as good.

That's why they ain't bringin' it to the states.

We want bikes with soul .

I continue to wonder why, if they call it "dual sport", how come it's so much more lacking in "dual", than it is in sport"?

sold in 89 & 90 in the US. it was a test by honda.

didn't sell well then as the US market didn't understand the bike. honda quickly pulled the bike and essentailly killed the whole large displacement Japanese dual sport market momentum to this day. it's been a long road to recovery & i think it will take yamaha bring the tenere to the US to open the competition doors. the tenere is the only Japanese model to have even the slightest competition to KTMs & BMWs dual sport lead. has become a cult classic since.

go to advrider.com http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262153&page=6 for a lot of discussion on the bike. seems honda only did a rework on the bike and may feel it'll be a heavy pig. honda missed the mark again and has turned into a has been company as far as inovation.

if you buy the bike for paved road it will work great though. look at the "skid plate" and you see honda's intentions for the bike. how is that suppose to stop the road debris? http://www.hondamc.se/homc/templates/Model____9445.aspx click on the "bilder" button for extensive pics & options.

Is this correct?

JR356

I have an '89 Transalp. It is a terrific bike - definitely ahead of its time and totally misunderstood by the American market and by American Honda when it was sold new here in '89 and '90. The original TA was a bonafide Japanese competitor to BMW's airhead GS series. My TA has excellent road manners - I did a 4 day 1500 mile BRP tour right after buying mine and it excelled on the asphalt. It handles dirt better than my '05 VStrom 650. In fact, other than acceleration, top speed and braking, my 89 TA beats the VStrom 650 in every other category -comfort, on and off road handling, ergonomics, aerodynamics, fuel mileage and especially in looks. In asphalt twisties, the TA out performs the Strom.

Honda seems to be a bit odd when it comes to the US Market. The Blackbird is gone, the Transalp is gone, the ST1300 is probably not a hit as a successor to the ST1100. The Hayabusa is preferred over the Fireblade.

It may be that they're satisfied peddling Goldwings.

Honda seems to be a bit odd when it comes to the US Market...

How ironic (or sad) that both Harley and BMW are eating Honda's lunch when it comes to new models and updates for the US street bike market.

Honda seems to be a bit odd when it comes to the US Market...

How ironic (or sad) that both Harley and BMW are eating Honda's lunch when it comes to new models and updates for the US street bike market.

ST1300 Features & Benefits - New for 2008: Available n Candy Dark Red.

Yup that's it folks, they're going back to red paint in '08! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

It's hard to believe that Honda would not bring the Transalp back to the US with the relative success of the V-Strom, GS, and Tiger. These things are all around Europe, so I am guessing that they are a very good value for the performance, practical and reliable.

Carl

Anyone know what is involved with bringing a Euro-bike into the USofA? Could the bike get registered? Any word if the TA will be sold in Canada? confused.gif

Almost bought a european model from my brother in law a year ago for a steal.....Then the rascal sold it out from under me. It was a fine machine, but given the fact I barely have time to ride the RT I couldn't justify it. For the price he was going to sell it to ME, I could have nearly doubled my money.

it's been a long road to recovery & i think it will take yamaha bring the tenere to the US to open the competition doors. the tenere is the only Japanese model to have even the slightest competition to KTMs & BMWs dual sport lead. has become a cult classic since.

The 08 KLR is a serious DS contender to the BMW and KTM. In fact more then one review have crowned it the ultimate DS bike, regardless of price.

Archived