IGNORED

New to forum, few questions.

yechave

Hi everyone! I quit biking 18 yrs ago or so. Had serious medical issues since 95, and it was either check out or do something time. I rented a Harley for 3 days with my companion (the driving force in my life!).

It was fun, but I did not like the wind buffeting and was just exhausted after three days of riding. I had owned a 1980 Suzuki GS 850 full tourig bike before I quit riding, and loved how that rode. The Harley's I tried, were all much less appealing to me.

I then took a BMW for test ride a week ago and bought a 99 R1100RT yesterday.

Three visits to the dealer, and everyone I talked to that had bikes coming or going, could not have been nicer or more congenial sharing their riding stories. One guy rides over 40k miles a year!

The bike I bought has an evidently well worn, Corbin Seat which seems to have been taken on and off a lot, and seemed very high to me (29" inseam). It felt much better riding, as both of us have had back surgery, so that helped us decided on this buying this bike.

The dealer then lowered it before I came, and even with that, I still managed to all but drop the bike in the lot, still paying for that save...... Lowing the seat threw off my shifting angle and made it difficult to wear my riding boots, so I put it back to full height.

I had a terrible time using the center stand, and had to create a slab to park on side stand in stone driveway. With an empty top cargo carrier, the bike was on the rear tire using the stand. Removed, it was on the front tire. After nearly dropping the bike, my confidence level was not doing too well.

Anyway, my concerns here are: I had trouble using the mirrors on fairing, really difficult at night, and ordered BMW handlebar mirrors which they installed when I got the bike. They were worse than what was on the bike due to vibration, plus I wear trifocals, and I lost some of my fairing mirror vision due to the handlebar mounted mirror.

I bought a used driver's back rest for the Corbin, which then did not allow enough room for the passenger. Used in the passenger position, it did not allow room to open the trunk bag and scratched the trunk back up. So, it looks like that goes back.

I am looking for ideas on the mirror issue, replacements, the factory mirrors make noise, even after lubing the clips. Not sure if that was from previous drop overs, or what. Otherwise, I hope to get some time on it this weekend.

Are there any problems having a hardware store cut BMW keys from dealer blanks?

Any thoughts on the Nolan N42-NC helmets?

It really is quite intimidating after not riding for nearly 20 years.

There is not much courtesy on the roads these days! It was not nearly this bad when I used to ride.

The 1100RT ure seems like a lot of bike here, but one guy that works at the dealership, has the same bike and is a lot shorter than I am.

Also, I will be needing at least a 2" higher windshield, and appreciate ideas on how best to accomplish that without spending a fortune. There is a used factory shield nearby for $30. I wondered if that could be cut and fitted to the top of what I now have.

If anyone has a factory 1100RT seat in any condition, I may be intersted in one, until I can get used to riding the bike.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!

Welcome! So many questions!

Let me ask a few, as it will make the rest easier.

Please fill in your profile...especially where do you live. This makes it easier to find someone nearby, who can meet you someplace to sit and jaw about your particular machine.

Low speed drops. TADT. (They All Do That)...the owners that is.

On the center stand, yes the bike is almost perfectly balanced. Allows you to remove either tire as needed, w/o much fussing.

The mirrors aren't great. Nor are my eyes. Just drive faster than all the traffic, then you won't need the mirrors. ;)

Hardware store keys. They may not have the blanks, also, BMW used to use steel, which was particularly hard for them to cut.

Hold off on the windshield for a bit. There are many after-market, in various sizes (wider,taller, shorter). Decide what you're trying to fix by changing it. Buffeting? Noise? Rain/snow protection?

Seat problems? First, read about the MYRP (Master Yoda Riding Position) in Ride Well. Then evaluate your options.

The Corbin seat is especially wide and adds a couple of inches to the effective seat height. If you get a stock seat or a custom seat based on a stock seat pan, you'll find you can put the seat in a higher position and still reach the ground.

As far as your shifting problems, the position of the shifter is adjustable. There's one allen-head bolt on the left side footpeg plate that goes into a kinda figure-8 double hole. You can loosen it, move it and retighten it (make sure you get it good n tight) and that may help make it fit your particular boots.

Keys - tell the guy at the hardware store to use an Ilco X59 BMW2 key blank. Don't tell him it's a motorcycle key, because he'll say he doesn't have motorcycle key blanks. Or tell him it's for a 1981 318i.

Hi everyone! I quit biking 18 yrs ago or so. Had serious medical issues since 95, and it was either check out or do something time. I rented a Harley for 3 days with my companion (the driving force in my life!).

It was fun, but I did not like the wind buffeting and was just exhausted after three days of riding. I had owned a 1980 Suzuki GS 850 full tourig bike before I quit riding, and loved how that rode. The Harley's I tried, were all much less appealing to me.

I then took a BMW for test ride a week ago and bought a 99 R1100RT yesterday.

Three visits to the dealer, and everyone I talked to that had bikes coming or going, could not have been nicer or more congenial sharing their riding stories. One guy rides over 40k miles a year!

The bike I bought has an evidently well worn, Corbin Seat which seems to have been taken on and off a lot, and seemed very high to me (29" inseam). It felt much better riding, as both of us have had back surgery, so that helped us decided on this buying this bike.

The dealer then lowered it before I came, and even with that, I still managed to all but drop the bike in the lot, still paying for that save...... Lowing the seat threw off my shifting angle and made it difficult to wear my riding boots, so I put it back to full height.

I had a terrible time using the center stand, and had to create a slab to park on side stand in stone driveway. With an empty top cargo carrier, the bike was on the rear tire using the stand. Removed, it was on the front tire. After nearly dropping the bike, my confidence level was not doing too well.

Welcome - nice choice. I've got a 2000 R11RT.

Anyway, my concerns here are: I had trouble using the mirrors on fairing, really difficult at night, and ordered BMW handlebar mirrors which they installed when I got the bike. They were worse than what was on the bike due to vibration, plus I wear trifocals, and I lost some of my fairing mirror vision due to the handlebar mounted mirror.

Personally, I took NO time getting use to my mirrors. I use to ride a yamaha v-star. Prefer the RT better.

I rode a friends 2004 RT and they had the stock mirrors PLUS the 'stick' mirrors. For me, they didn't block the view of the stock mirrors. You *may* be able to either adjust the actual mirror head or the 'stick' to get better line-of-sight. Or, check into new mirrors w/ longer sticks?

I bought a used driver's back rest for the Corbin, which then did not allow enough room for the passenger. Used in the passenger position, it did not allow room to open the trunk bag and scratched the trunk back up. So, it looks like that goes back.
I've never seen RT w/ backrest. However, if you buy a top-case, you can get a backrest pad that works well for S/O (for my passengers anyway).

I am looking for ideas on the mirror issue, replacements, the factory mirrors make noise, even after lubing the clips. Not sure if that was from previous drop overs, or what. Otherwise, I hope to get some time on it this weekend.

see above. smile.gif Word of warning w/ the mirrors though…the ‘tabs’ in the ‘spring compression’ clips tend to bend/break. May want to look into Mirror leashes “Mirror Rescue Wires”…

Cheap = http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/mirleash.html

$$ = http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=141

Are there any problems having a hardware store cut BMW keys from dealer blanks?
only that they may not carry the blanks. give it a try. if doesn't work, your only out a couple bucks. let us know! grin.gif

Any thoughts on the Nolan N42-NC helmets?
nope. Have a Nolan 102 though, and love it.

It really is quite intimidating after not riding for nearly 20 years.

There is not much courtesy on the roads these days! It was not nearly this bad when I used to ride.

The 1100RT ure seems like a lot of bike here, but one guy that works at the dealership, has the same bike and is a lot shorter than I am.

20 years is long time. If you didn’t already, you and S/O should take class….

Also, I will be needing at least a 2" higher windshield, and appreciate ideas on how best to accomplish that without spending a fortune. There is a used factory shield nearby for $30. I wondered if that could be cut and fitted to the top of what I now have.

If anyone has a factory 1100RT seat in any condition, I may be intersted in one, until I can get used to riding the bike.

Used stuff!!!! Check out: www.beemerboneyard.com, www.ibmwr.org, www.bmwmoa.org, www.bmwbmw.org. The .org sites are membership driven, and parts for sale by individuals. I bought my RT from guy on ibmwr board.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!
sure

Lastly:

Seat issues…..depending on where you live….We’ve got a guy in Rockville MD who modifies your seat…does EXCELLENT work. If the seat is too high, it can be shaved. If the seat is too wide (that really makes a difference), the sides can be shaved as well.

There are also peg lowering kit$ that may solve your ‘jammed leg’ issue if you lower the seat.

Center stand – BEFORE you put on center stand, before you actually lift the bike, be sure that BOTH contacts are touching the ground. Makes it MUCH easier to put up…I learned! And, when taking it down, try turning the wheel to the right a little. That way, the bike will fall towards you and the engaged side-stand.

Is you center stand issue....back/front or side to side? back front, it may tetter, but it won't tip. Side to side, shouldn't wiggle. You'd be able to climb on, while on center stand, and sit/lean back....no issues. Heck, it's a nice nap area too. lmao.gif not that i've done that. The handle bars are perfect foot rests...not that I've done that either. I just heard about it. honest. tongue.gifwink.gif

Karen

Hi Woody. This forum is much different then others I have used. Can't locate the MYRP post, if you can send a link to yechave@ptd.net. Tethered the mirrors today, added some small 360 mini mirrors to the fairing, good to go. I am in Lehighton, Pa., about 30 mins from Hermy's BMR in Port Clinton. Got the key blanks from him, had the local hardward store cut them, work great. I do have a problem shifting with my best riding boots, and required for the safety course. Any tips on moving the shifting lever is appreicated. I did ask at the shop but the sales person didn't know. Looks like I need to buy a manual and start seeing how this is put together. Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I got the keys made today. I thought the figure 8 looked like that might move the lever up enough for the boots. Wanted to check with the dealer before I did anything, and not have them void the warranty for any reason. I must say, I got spoiled with the Harley Heritage shifting.

Hi Karen, I made some mirror tethers this morning. Have to look into the peg kits, may need that soon. Signed up for the safety course. Really appreciate the center stand use tips! A guy I met at the dealership has his bike seat posted on the Russell site, and that is awesome! Just what I need. I sat on his bike, completely flat footed, with plenty to spare, and it was really comfy to boot, with the heat and back rest options. Thanks again!

First, welcome aboard. This board is a fantastic source of BMW-specific information.

Like you, I also had a 1980 GS850G. I had an aftermarket Vetter fairing on mine. Fantastic bike.

Also like you, I am a returning rider, with 18-years of inactivity. I think that one significant thing that a returning rider has over a *newbe* rider is that we know what we don't know. If you're like me, you probably dumped a few bikes in your early days, and the thought of dropping the RT with all it's beautiful plastic just makes you sick. A new guy typically doesn't understand how easily something like that can happen, and they mistakingly go forward with the assumption that it never will.

After getting back on two-wheels about one year ago, I rode for six months and then took a MSF ERC course. Highly recommend it. I learned a bunch, and it really improved my confidence -- particularly for low-speed riding. You might even want to consider taking the BRC right now, and the ERC in the next year. I plan to continue to take the ERC or other riding course each year as along as I am still riding.

As for your height-related issues, I can't be of much help, because I'm on the opposite end of the scale (6'-7"). I am, however, sympathetic to anyone who is struggling with bike issues due to their height. I had to install lowered-pegs at the dealer just to ride my 12RT off the lot. Those of us outside the ergonomic envelope have to accept the fact that we need to do some modifications to be comfortable and safe. I went with the Suburban Machinery kit, and I am very satisfied with it.

I also had to adjust my shift lever for comfort. You just need to release a set screw (it requires a Torx socket on my 12RT), pull it off a splined shaft, and re-attach at the desired angle.

The comments regarding the seat sound good to me. Lot's of options for custom seats on an RT. It would make sense to me that a more narrow seat would help with flat-footing.

Center stand: I would think as a GS850 rider, you would be an expert on center stand operation! That was a big, heavy bike (I think it was actually heavier than my RT!). Successful center stand operation has very little to do with strength and a lot to do with technique. Here's how I approach it:

1. Place bike on side stand.

2. Approach bike, place left hand on left grip, and right hand on left-rear railing.

3. Place right foot on center stand lever _facing forward -- NOT TOWARDS THE BIKE_.

4. At this point, the lower portion of my body is facing the same direction as the bike, and my upper body is rotated clockwise slightly.

5. I put some pressure on the side stand lever with the right foot, and push the bike upright (off the side stand) until I can feel both of the center stand feet on the ground. I continue to keep pressure on the center stand lever with my right foot.

6. At this point, the bike is being held upright mostly with the pressure that I am applying to the center stand lever with my right foot. My left and right hands are hanging on to the bike in the original positions to steady me.

7. Now PUSH (stand) on the center stand lever with your foot while pulling UP with your right hand. As the bike rises and begins to move backwards, I move back with it.

When I first started riding a bike with a side stand (CX500), I really struggled with it. Ever since a buddy showed me the technique listed above, it's been simple.

Oh, one more thing: you might want to consider getting some engine guards if your bike did not come with them. I was worried about dropping my bike during the ERC training, so I put on a set of Wunderlich bars. If you do have a tip-over, they should really help, not only in protecting your bike, but in leaving it in a position that allows you to more easily upright it.

Hope this helps. Welcome back to riding, and welcome to the board.

Ride safely.

Wayne, I'm a little plexed at your complaints about your RT. Welcome anyway.

Lots of good stuff and folks on this forum. Whatever your issues are I'm sure you'll iron them out.

I had a 24 year sabatical from riding myself. Purchased a Suzuki V Strom in January. Great bike but alas, not a BMW.

So after 4K on the V I sold it and purchased a 98 R1100RT.

Not an issue to be had. It fit like a glove from day one.

Perhaps all that riding you did on a Harley blurred, and vibrated your very essence. Give it some time, draw from the Light Elite Force. Or getcha a different bike. lmao.gif Hope you stay with us. thumbsup.gif

Started riding in 72 or so. My GS 850 was my last bike. Other than some electrical glitch, I loved it. I spent quite some time trying to find one to buy, but then thought the upgrade in safety with the BMW would be a wise choice, more so having a passenger.

I am very physically weak from a combination of having had an extensice cancer surgery/radition in 99, mercury poisoing from dental fillings, a long list of medical issues too much to get into, and finally diagnosed with a 33 yr jaw bone injection from having wisdom teeth removed in 74. The first corrective surgery was $5k in June, with two to go, plus the corrective expenses for partials after all that. I already spent about $100k on medical since 1996. Probably a fair estimate that you would not find many penniless BMW riders, but that I am.

I spent two months working out at the gym trying to get some strength back. That ended after the dental surgery, which I assume sent the infection throughout the blood stream, and its been tough going since.

Rented the Harley, which was fun, but expensive. Had been looking at a couple of bikes under $2k, but nothing worked out. Went to the BMW dealer for the $2k bike he had, which was junk, but did look nice. Once we were there, they were telling us the 97 R1100RT for sale was owned by a 66 yr old woman, the 99 by her husband. They bought newer bikes. I liked the 97, price was not too bad, but the tranny was grinding between 2nd and 3rd, backfired, and needed some rear axle work of some kind.

That left only the 99, and few other BMW's to look at. When I took that out the first time, the speedo was 70+, and no wind resistance.

Adding to my own personal medical issues and not really having much desire to go on, we lost two long-time, close to us, pets the week before. My companions father had died the same week, years prior. She just said the hell with it, took out her savings and said lets get the bike and take a trip, which is in the planning stages.

So, that's what we did. I am not sure yet BMW was the ideal way to do this, certainly not the least expensive. I did not even realize, nor did the sales person inform me the bike had been dropped by the previous owner, and the mirror color did not match.

I was told the plastic engine guard was $125....not sure that was worth it. The only other option was the police guards, and I was told they were $750. Sure would like something like Honda has on the front of most of their bikes.

Back to my original thought. I just don't have the strength to deal with the center stand, unless absolutely necessary. I installed some concrete blocks, a few inches lower in the driveway, to use it if need be. Otherwise, the center stand is not going to be used.

Right now, the seat appears to be my biggest problem. I really need the Russell seat. Then will see how the stock windshield works. I did change the position on the figure 8 bolt pattern for the shifter, but may need more.

Put on a couple hundred miles this week. Waiting for a better helmet. Also have chronic pain and fatigue, sleep very little and can only ride when not medicating for pain or sleep......plus, it was pretty damn cold out this am, and very foggy here in the mts.

I think if I could buy the Russle seat from a store tomorrow, I would do that.

I find these forums to be a fantastic source of information. The people I have stopped to talk with at the dealers, couldn't have been nicer. The guy with the Russel seat, probably would fit right on my this bike.

Having seen a few of these posted for sale with over 100K miles, this should last a very long time, hopefully without nothing more than normal service needed.

Couldn't be a much nicer time of year to ride.

Thanks for all the tips!!!

BTW, if anyone is interested in the mirror tethers: I took the lanyards from the fly fishing tools you can get at Walmart, ran that around the inside mirror housing, used some sail twine and pulled that up through the fairing, and the lanyard loop fit nicely around the lug for the mirror. Plus, I left another 5" or so of twine so you can pull the mirror away from the bike to change bulbs. Nice fix, nothing to make, and cost under $10. I did take some photos if anyone comes across the post and wants to see them. E-mail me at yechave@ptd.net Thanks again! wave.gif

First, welcome aboard. This board is a fantastic source of BMW-specific information.

+1

I think that one significant thing that a returning rider has over a *newbe* rider is that we know what we don't know. If you're like me, you probably dumped a few bikes in your early days, and the thought of dropping the RT with all it's beautiful plastic just makes you sick. A new guy typically doesn't understand how easily something like that can happen, and they mistakingly go forward with the assumption that it never will.

+1

After getting back on two-wheels about one year ago, I rode for six months and then took a MSF ERC course. Highly recommend it. I learned a bunch, and it really improved my confidence -- particularly for low-speed riding. You might even want to consider taking the BRC right now, and the ERC in the next year. I plan to continue to take the ERC or other riding course each year as along as I am still riding.

All great points for the returning rider.

Here is the link you requested: Master Yoda's Riding Position

I see someone got the MYRP link for you.

I was just in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Hope to catch you around (like at the NE Tech Daze coming up in a few weeks). See the post in Ride/Event Planning.

Archived