IGNORED

I need to disconnect my battery

Gkgeiger

I know there is a procedure that I need to go through after disconnecting my battery, but I am not sure what it is. I think that I need to turn the ignition on and turn the throttle from full off to full on three times. Is that correct? I had to disconnect the battery a couple of times before, and every time I did it, and then take the bike to the dealer, he says "had your battery disconnected ha?"

From the manual:

- Switch on ignition.

- Without starting engine, open throttle twist-grip once or twice for at least one second so that control unit of engine management system can register throttle-valve settings.

-Switch off ignition.

From the manual:

- Switch on ignition.

- Without starting engine, open throttle twist-grip once or twice for at least one second so that control unit of engine management system can register throttle-valve settings.

-Switch off ignition.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Ok, now I"m curious. What happens if you DO NOT do this? It never occured to me that you need to do something odd when disconnecting a battery. I added my J&M without going through this procedure and have not noticed anything unusual.

Failure to follow the procedure in the owner's manual could destabilize the warp-core and, in rare occasions, result in catastrophic failure of magnetic containment. The resulting anti-matter explosion could, theoretically, vaporize a significant portion of this planet.

I almost did that once. Bummer.

I bought the bike with 1300 miles on it. In the the past 4 monthes i put about 4500 miles on it. I ride it pretty hard. The bike had a pre delivery service and then another service at 1300 miles when i bought it. I don't think they guy that owned it before me ever had it serviced. He only put 1300 miles on in 2 years so he didn't ride it much. It was down about 1 1/2 quarts. I will be checking it all the time now. The dealer said that the more miles you put on the less oil you will use (burn). He said the material of the cylinders and the rings are so hard that it takes a long time for these bikes to wear in. Until then the oil seeps by the rings and burns off. He also not to warm up the bike, just start it up and go.

I bought the bike with 1300 miles on it. In the the past 4 monthes i put about 4500 miles on it. I ride it pretty hard. The bike had a pre delivery service and then another service at 1300 miles when i bought it. I don't think they guy that owned it before me ever had it serviced. He only put 1300 miles on in 2 years so he didn't ride it much. It was down about 1 1/2 quarts. I will be checking it all the time now. The dealer said that the more miles you put on the less oil you will use (burn). He said the material of the cylinders and the rings are so hard that it takes a long time for these bikes to wear in. Until then the oil seeps by the rings and burns off. He also not to warm up the bike, just start it up and go.

Hi,

Make sure you check the oil level properly.

One technique is to go ride the bike and get it up to temp,then stop and leave the bike on the sidestand for about 10 minutes,then put it on the centerstand and check the level.Anywhere in the circle is fine,but I usually aim for the center dot.If you add,go a bit at a time,as it takes a little while for the new oil to reach the indicator window.

If you don't do it this way,there is a certain amount of oil left in the cooler plumbing and you end up overfilling and oil gets blown into the airfilter box.

As for starting,I usually start up,let the idle stabilize over 5-10 sec.,then take off using moderate throttle on a cold engine.

JR356

R1200GS

Archived