IGNORED

Best Tires - Price/Mileage No Issue?

lopaca

I am about ready to replace the tires (Contis) that came with '07 my R1200RT.

Just curious - if the price and the mileage were not an issue (no I am not interested in a debate over whether or not that should be considered) what is the general consensus regarding which is the best performing (ie. traction, etc.) tire on the market for this bike. Assume mostly twisty roads with a good amount of freeway use (Yup - you guessed it - Los Angeles). Thanks in advance for your input.

Just finished (minutes ago) swapping out my original Pilot Roads with new ones.

Mileage- 13K miles with center worn, plenty on sides...mostly commuting, but I've gotten almost the same mileage on a Ducati with the same tires and more curves.

Price- $250 a set. Free shipping from MotoSport

Hard to beat that!!! clap.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
what is the general consensus regarding which is the best
lmao.gif

That's a good one! Seriously though, that's one everlasting debate. For my money I preferred the Pilot Roads which performed well in all conditions, including the wet weather we get around here. However, I had unbelievable traction and mileage out of a set of Avon Azaros...hated them in the wet weather though.

Folks will come on here and tell you that the Azaros were wonderful for them in the wet...

There is no "best" consensus. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

If wear life is not a consideration but traction is more important, I would consider a set of Pilot Powers or Metzeler M3's. They will still have a bit less traction than a pure race tire but still have the carcass strength to handle the heavier bike. Pure race tires usually have a bit lighter construction and load ratings as well as a good deal less of softer rubber. Not a good combination where you are likely to hit potholes and the like. The more "streetable" tire will also take many more heat cycles than a race tire.

I just fitted a new set of tires on my Blackbird in anticipation of a few sweepers and then a couple hundred miles of US 50 out Torrey way enroute to Reno. Went with a Pilot Power 2CT on the front and a Pilot Road on the back. Despite my bike's more than ample power output, I rarely have traction issues with the rear but have had a couple of occasions where the front has wanted to tuck on hard corner entrances so I figured the grippier rubber up front was warrented. I expect that front and rear will pretty much wear out at the same time.

I like the Z6 on my RT the best but get 7K- 11K depending on how much mountain riding is done. Currently I have a new set of Pirelli Stradas on the bike which were recommended by a riding buddy. Have had Avons, Pilot Roads, Z4s, Z6s and now the Stradas.

D

I'm not sure if the ME 880's are available in your size or not....a buddy of mine just finished his last set with 20,000 miles on them, (we both drive LT's) and he changed them out to a new pair as he wanted to be a bit more ready for the coming rainy season. These tires do have a reputation as being a bit goosey in the rain when crossing the white stripes and you're hammering the throttle at the same time. But if you use a bit of prudence, and aren't a total knucklehead when your riding, they are the best/longest lasting tires I've ever had. I just ordered another pair from WWW.SWMOTO.COM at $290 and change.

Pat

I really like the grip I get with the Dunlop Qualifiers on my GT. I have used these tires on my previous sport bike, Buell xb12ss, and they have great traction in the twisties but if you ride hard you will probably wear them out in about 3k miles. I have only put about 1k on this set but they are a night and day difference over the stock Z6’s. I could only tolerate the Z6’s for about 2k before they had to find a new home, they were like riding on ice skates IMHO.

I like the performance of the Conti's on my RT. If you do also, how about trying the Sport Attacks ?

The trouble with some sports tyres is that with the grippier rubber often comes a different tyre profile that alters the turn-in characteristics noticeably. This might not suit a road rider on a touring machine. I am staying with touring tyres (Pilot Road 2) for the forseeable future.

Just curious - if the price and the mileage were not an issue (no I am not interested in a debate over whether or not that should be considered) what is the general consensus regarding which is the best performing (ie. traction, etc.) tire on the market for this bike. Assume mostly twisty roads with a good amount of freeway use (Yup - you guessed it - Los Angeles). Thanks in advance for your input.

If you want the best for handling twisty roads, the Pilot Powers are pretty hard to beat. That is what I run on my Duc. I doubt I'd personally ever put them on a RT, but they are definitely the best I've had as far as inspiring confidence in the twisties.

Archived