IGNORED

Here's a less expensive tank bag suggestion

markgoodrich

There are frequent posts regarding requests for alternatives to the super-expensive BMW and Touratech tank bags which fit, for instance, on the R1200RT tank attaching setup. I've used a magnetic bag successfully on two bikes with plastic tank covers like my current RT, with only the yoke holding the bag in place...the nylon belt which goes around the steering head...with the magnetic side flaps being heavy enough to keep the bag in place. The particular bag I use is made by Oxford, an English company. I noticed today that their much larger bag, large enough to hold a helmet, is reduced for clearance at a couple of online retailers, down around $115 or so, or there's a yellow one on ebay for $75.

The particular model is their "Humpback" tank bag. Very versatile, with useful backpack straps for use off the bike, and the humpback version also has a detachable bum bag.

At gas stops, I just flip the bag up onto the dash/bars, which hold it out of the way. Never have had a scratch in three years of use. Beats the heck out of paying three times the price for a BMW bag.

Very high quality materials and workmanship. The only downside to my small (I think it's called the mini-bag) version is the map case is real narrow, and I can never get a map folded properly to stick it in there.

I have of course no affiliation with anyone for anything anywhere at any time, associated with Oxford, maps, or tanks.

If I didn't already have a silver bag (they make one that looks like it's OEM on silver or gray bikes) I'd snap the yellow ebay one up for $75.

You can google "Oxford Humpback Tank Bag" and find retailers.

HTH someone..............

$99 for the strap on version. The base of the strap on has 4 straps and looks like it could be looped through the tank attachment points on an R12RT.

photo.php?id=643

$99 for the strap on version. The base of the strap on has 4 straps and looks like it could be looped through the tank attachment points on an R12RT.

photo.php?id=643

yeah, but then you have the hassle of unhooking it every time you fill up...that's what i like about the magnetic version, it just flips up out of the way.

photo.php?id=643

yeah, but then you have the hassle of unhooking it every time you fill up...that's what i like about the magnetic version, it just flips up out of the way.

Looks like two Fastex buckles. Not sure if that is the top or bottom, looks like the top. Unclip and flip, the other end stays strap so it will not fall. Looks like it anyway.

The buckles go around the steering head, and are a bit of a hassle to undo/redo every time you fill up, and doing so requires you flip the bag onto the seat. Regardless, the luggage is excellent quality, no matter which attaching method you choose. I like the magnetic one, as the weight of the magnets is plenty to keep the bag in place, and the fastex buckle comes off easily enough at the motel.

Archived