IGNORED

'Avon StormAV55 120/70R-17 not recommended by swmototires'

smiller

From the website:

Avon StormAV55 120/70R-17 not recommended by swmototires

Code: 305562

Price: $111.95

Quantity in Basket: none

Anyone know the background on this? None of the other Storm sizes carry this notation, only 120/70-17.

Wow, got a response from swmoto from my email question already, that's fast! (guess I'm too used to Internet customer service mailboxes that never get answered.) Anyway, they indicated that they had experienced a number of warranty returns on that size and that it was too expensive to continue to deal with processing them all.

Don't know what's up but obviously Avon is well aware and hopefully they will resolve the issue soon.

there has been a large volume of front tires that are prematurely cupping on the clutch side causing instability and vibrations with the handlebars. I have read that for many people this has happened as soon as 2k miles on the tire. I have had the same problem with mine, but have managed to get 8k miles out of it and will be replacing it soon with a new Metzeler. This is the first time that my rear tire has out lasted the front.

I just ordered a set last week and received a bad front. I was back and forth with the shop several times due to a bad wobble. The shop swapped my SW tire with one they had in inventory and problem solved!

My first set was flawless. The 2nd set has the bad front tire. It has a wobble and doesn't feel planted when leaned over. I have 3,100 miles on the tire and will ride it out and switch to Pilot Roads.

My first set was flawless. The 2nd set has the bad front tire. It has a wobble and doesn't feel planted when leaned over. I have 3,100 miles on the tire and will ride it out and switch to Pilot Roads.

Same here, I thought is was my shocks, since they had 37K. Replaced them with Ohlins, and the vib. was still there. While reseating the front wheel I noticed the flat spots.

Going to where I bought them this afternoon to replace, and see if some help is in order.

Timely thread!

Tanks!

Wow, glad I checked in. I'm 4000 miles into my Storms and I noticed when I'm turning and using the front brake (I don't do too much of that)there is a strange feel to the tire. Now I see this post. I'll check them for premature cupping tonight. By the way, I got mine from SW moto.

I'm one of the "warranty guys."

Mine almost ruined my x-country trip and by the time I got back I thought the front end was going to vibrate off! Bad cupping and it was uneven to boot. (one part of the tire was almost bald off center, and the other had some good tread on it.) I'm still gonna use them though, as I trust Avon will fix the issue and I loved my 45/46 tires and these at first

Avon did me right on the first set, less than 4K the rear tire decided to have an acupuncture treatment with a nail. They replaced it, no charge and no questions asked!

This front with the weird wear issue, I have to wait for them to look see. Depending on the wear, I'll get 50 or 100% of the price back.

Either way I like 'em

Great timing. I just bought this tire from SW Moto last week to replace the Azaro that was cupping with 12K on it...had it put on yesterday. The Azaros were excellent tires, which is why I went back. The OEM Bridgestones were toast with 6K, both front and rear. We'll see what happens.

Hmmmmmm 6k on my front and it is going strong. Now the rear is toast and I am replacing it. I will do both just to be safe. No clue on the issue as to why huh?

No clue on the issue as to why huh?
I would guess just a bad production run. Avon must be well aware and I assume has/will remedy the problem and eventually the bad tires will get out of the distribution system, at which time things will get back to normal. Or at least I hope so because these are very good-handling tires for the oilhead bikes. I'm going to try to stick with them.

I've had three Storm Fronts.

First one fine,

Second was wobbly when leaned from 500 mi. +

Third (free replacement) was wobbly straight up at 48 mph from brand new. No more Storms for me.

Dennis Andress

My first one was slow into turns and was worn on the left from PTTR by 5,000 miles. I replaced it at 7,000 miles when it suddenly went out of balance. Laney's first front Storm is looking and riding great with almost 8,000 miles on it. My second one is perfect.

My first one was slow into turns and was worn on the left from PTTR by 5,000 miles. I replaced it at 7,000 miles when it suddenly went out of balance. Laney's first front Storm is looking and riding great with almost 8,000 miles on it. My second one is perfect.

My first Storm front looked like complete hell at about 5k miles. I decided to leave it on till I got back home from the UNrally and I guess that did it some good. The week of agressive riding smoothed the cupped wear on the tire a bit and I replaced it at about 7500 miles. I have about 1000 miles on my new Storm front and it seems fine so far

I'm still running my original Storm rear tire.....(8500 miles). The tire is shot and I should have replaced it about 700-800 miles ago, but there is no rain in the 10 day weather outlook so I'm milking it to work and back 120 miles at a time. One of these days I'll get home and decide that it is time.

AdventurePoser

Great timing. I just bought this tire from SW Moto last week to replace the Azaro that was cupping with 12K on it...had it put on yesterday. The Azaros were excellent tires, which is why I went back. The OEM Bridgestones were toast with 6K, both front and rear. We'll see what happens.

I'm gonna continue buying the Azaros as long as shops have them in stock. I love that tire!

Well, maybe love is too strong a term.... lmao.gif

Steve in So Cal

Two thousand miles since that post and no issues at all with the tires. I guess I got lucky! clap.gif

I just noticed tonight that there seems to be extensive wear on the left portion of the front tire. I have 4K on them, but I didn't expect that much wear that soon. Overall, I am happy with the tires, but not replacing at ~ 5K mark.

Does anyone know the warranty info on these tires?

Anyone know SWmoto's phone number? Their website says that cant receive email due to a server issue.

I just replaced both of my avon storms with new metzeler Z6. Wow, i cant believe how bad my front tire was, amazing i used it as long as i did. I did get 12,500 miles on the rear and 9700 miles on the front. So the rear tire provided some great mileage, however my last front tire (z6) went 16k miles before i replaced it.

Does anyone know the warranty info on these tires?

Anyone know SWmoto's phone number?

Southwest Moto Tires

2440 North Coyote Drive

Tucson, AZ (Arizona) 85745-1245

Phone: (520) 628-2947

FWIW, I had better luck contacting AVON direct for tire replacement.

Thanks for the info.

I think I am going to call Avon too. I actually bought 4 Avon tires for my truck since I liked the way they rode on the bike. Of course I didn't put the same tire on smile.gif

I spoke to Blaine from SWmototires on Monday about my front Avon wear issue. He told me he would take care of it, but if I wanted the same tire, he wont take care of it next time - explaining it would be between me and Avon.

I decided to get the same tire in hopes they solved the issue with this defect. If they haven't, I will probably switch to Pilots next time.

The replacement front tire was overnighted to me and was received today. He told me he will credit me when the defective tire got to him.

For the great prices and customer service, I will continue to use them as well as recommend them.

I just installed a set of Storms and have 1000 miles on them with no issues so far. The Azaros they replaced had 14,400 miles on both ends and they were excellent!

On my 2nd set of Storms. Getting a noticeable wobble in the handlebars at 30-50MPH. Left a voicemail at Storm's offices today.

Had no problems with my 1st set. They were fantastic.

After these wear out, I probably will move on to some other brands.

Might try AVON again at some point.

Might try AVON again at some point.

I believe Storms are Avons, or at least made by Avon.

I had Avon Azaro's & loved them; excellent wear (+8,500 miles), plus good in both rain & twisties.

Avon replaced the Azaro's with the Storm's so when the time came, I mounted the new Avon Storm's.

Like them, but the rear tire wears out faster then the Azaro did (5.1K & 5.6K respevtively on two ea. Storms), plus I'm reading about a lot of challenges with the Storm front tire.

Found one last set of Avon Azaro's (Thanks Fernando! thumbsup.gif) then will try the new Pilot Road II's.

Archived