IGNORED

Replace low beam bulb on R1150RT.

StevenM

Help!!!!Can't quite figure this one out.I've got the Haynes manual and the maint. handbook ,but the instructions don't make sense.Another question;Can the bulb just get dim instead of completely failing?Thanks for any help on this.

I just replaced the bulb on my '00 1100RT. I am the least mechanically inclined guy ever. It was a snap.

Put the bike on the center stand.

turn the front wheel to the left.

from the right side reach in between the fairing and the gas tank

There is a wiring harness for the headlight, pull the connector loose from the lamp.

Remove the black rubber boot.

There is a metal clip holding the bulb in place, remove the clip and pull the bulb out.

Replace the bulb and reverse the steps.

It took me maybe 30 minutes total.

Are you refering to the access door with the spring metal clip on top when you say large rubber boot? The bulb I'm refering to is the one located near the lens just left of center.It seems removing that cover doesn't give any access to that fixture.Thanks for your reply.

Are you refering to the access door with the spring metal clip on top when you say large rubber boot? The bulb I'm refering to is the one located near the lens just left of center.It seems removing that cover doesn't give any access to that fixture.Thanks for your reply.

If it is the small bulb at the front lower of the headlight and you can see the lamp itself, that is not the low-beam, it is the parking light. The low-beam bulb cannot be seen directly from the front of the bike, it hides behind the high-beam reflector.

To replace the parking lamp, just reach up under the nose, find the wire and pull the bulb out of its rubber holder.

Andy

Thanks. That explains why my low beam was dim but not completely burnt out. I guess I never actually looked at my headlight with the ignition on prior to my headlight going dim.

Quote:To replace the parking lamp, just reach up under the nose, find the wire and pull the bulb out of its rubber holder.

Do you mean to say the lamp and fixture pulls down through the rubber holder,or does the holder and all pull down through the base plate. My left hand is starting to look like I've ran it through a meat grinder a couple of times frown.gifdopeslap.gifI went to my local BMW dealer yesterday to buy the replacement low beam bulb and spoke to someone in the service dept. about replacing the parking light bulb. He said the nose fairing had to be removed for this.I hope not!!!Thanks again for your help.

I originally thought that my parking light was my low beam gone dim. dopeslap.gifMy parking light was ok but my low beam was burnt out.After Boffin pointed out to me which one was which,the low beam was replaced,but in the meantime, my parking light has burnt out.At this point I'm trying to figure out how to get to the parking light bulb.Does the entire rubber holder pull down through the base plate or does the bulb and fixture pull down through the rubber holder?Has anyone actually had to replace the parking light bulb? If so,any hints on how you accomplished that will be greatly appreciated.

I originally thought that my parking light was my low beam gone dim. dopeslap.gifMy parking light was ok but my low beam was burnt out.After Boffin pointed out to me which one was which,the low beam was replaced,but in the meantime, my parking light has burnt out.At this point I'm trying to figure out how to get to the parking light bulb.Does the entire rubber holder pull down through the base plate or does the bulb and fixture pull down through the rubber holder?Has anyone actually had to replace the parking light bulb? If so,any hints on how you accomplished that will be greatly appreciated.

I replaced my parking light about a year ago and if I remember right, all I did was pull the rubber boot that holds the parking light straight down. When it was down and below the fairing I just pulled the bulb and replaced it. Then you just insert the boot with the new bulb straight back up into the hole and you are done. It's held in place by the friction of the rubber boot.

Archived