IGNORED

cracking windshield

Bear1

I was about to clean up the windshield on my '02 RT this morning when I realized there is some cracking taking place on the inside of the windshield. It's not so much a cracking as a crackling of the windshield. It almost appears like the first layer on the inside of the windshield is failing. I can rub my finger on it and create new crackling in it at will.

The bike is garage kept. I cannot figure out what is going on but it looks like I will have to replace the windshield. Has anyone experienced this problem before or does anyone have an idea as to what caused the problem?

It's probably not so much a crack as a failing of the coating that's on them. Not knowing the history of your windscreen it's hard to say why. One of the more common causes however is the bike being in a area where solvents have been used.

I talked with the local BMW dealer regarding the problem I was having with my windshield. I was told you cannot clean the windshield with any ammonia based cleaner. Using an ammonia based cleaner will cause the protective coating to fail, leading to the crackling I am seeing on my windshield.

It appears I have created my own problem. I have used an ammonia based cleaner occasionally on the windshield in the past. I'm now checking out the offerings from Cee Bailey's to get a reasonably priced replacement.

I had the same problem on my now deceased 1100RT.

What I did (with great results) per my dealers suggestion;

remove winshield, take it and an old bath towel down to a local coin op high pressure car wash (unless you have a unit at home of course)

Lay the shield down on a towel to prevent scratching backside up.

Use the high pressure wand to blast the coating off. It will come of quite easily.

When you are all done go home, give it coat of plexus and you're good to go.

All for about $3.00 in quarters!

I talked with the local BMW dealer regarding the problem I was having with my windshield. I was told you cannot clean the windshield with any ammonia based cleaner. Using an ammonia based cleaner will cause the protective coating to fail, leading to the crackling I am seeing on my windshield.

It appears I have created my own problem. I have used an ammonia based cleaner occasionally on the windshield in the past. I'm now checking out the offerings from Cee Bailey's to get a reasonably priced replacement.

After you get that new windshield you might consider this cleaner and polish. I've been using them for 30 years with great results.

cleaner

polish

This can end up like an "oil thread" about windshields, BUT...also look at Aeroflow. I am very impressed with mine and the beating it has taken. I also just bought a used Cee Bailey for my GS. The Cee Bailey mounting holes are a full 1/4"-1/2" off in their alignment...not too impressive (check the picture). I bought it for $30.00, redrilled the holes, and it works fine (for now). You can also see where the previous owner stress cracked it by trying to make it "work". Just FYI

dsc00005_1190765443.jpg

Same thing happened to me, all of a sudden this layer started to move around on the inside of my windshield when I was cleaning. I stopped what I was doing, patted it dry, and now I just have some hard to see lines on the lower half. I can live with that, at least until I find a better designed aftermarket unit for my RT.

Archived