IGNORED

GPS--BMW Navigator II +

Francis

I have a brand new, never used, Navigator II+ with map V6. I am wondering if I should sell this unit and try to get Navigator III or another GPS model. I am not a hevy "gadget guy" and have been able to travel cross country without the need for such an instrument. I am also new to GPS.

Any advice and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks

Francis

Unless you have a need to use a Bluetooth cell phone on your bike, I would stay with the Navigator II that you already have. There is very little difference between the Nav II and Nav III, other than the bluetooth addition, and I personally prefer the user interface of the II over the III.

You would take a monetary loss trying to flip the II for a III, unless you just absolutely needed the Bluetooth interface.

FWIW

I agree with Rocket Cowboy - stick with what you've got unless you want Bluetooth, XM, or MP3 capability from your GPS. What you have will do a fine job of routing you around.

The one thing you might consider is an upgrade to your maps. I think they're $75. I had version 5 maps until this summer, and I got frustrated occasionally because the street and POI data was out of date.

I agree with Rocket Cowboy - stick with what you've got unless you want Bluetooth, XM, or MP3 capability from your GPS.

A common misnomer about the BMW Nav III. It doesn't have XM or MP3 capability. Apparently BMW has a contract with Sirius for Satellite radio in the cars and word is BMW didn't want the liability of MP3 on a motorcycle.

The only optional feature of the Nav III is realtime traffic information/rerouting whichs requires an optional antenna and subscription to the service.

The standard Garmin version of the Nav III does have XM and MP3 capabilities, model 28xx (Can't remember the exact model sorry).

I found out the hard way, I bought the Nav III ($1500) before I checked out any of the others. Could have saved some money.

thumbsup.gif

A few months ago I was deciding between a used Nav II or Nav III. The Navigator III has a much better, clearer TFT screen than the II, with higher resolution, and the processing seems faster.

A few months ago I was deciding between a used Nav II or Nav III. The Navigator III has a much better, clearer TFT screen than the II, with higher resolution, and the processing seems faster.

The Nav III absolutely rocks. My wife has a C340 in her car which also has the text to speech and traffic receiver. The Nav III is better than it in every way.

I also don't really want the additional distraction of music when I'm on the bike, The voices in my head are distracting enough. lmao.gif

Actually, I enjoy the solitude. It's my "escape".

Hi,

Nav II is a good unit,equivalent to the Garmin 2610.

Probably has a lot more features than you will use,but it's an easy unit to use and the additional button function of the BMW cradle is nice.

On the other hand look at the Zumo 450-550,has a quicker processor and improved screen and everything is in the box(550),so you don't need extra mounts,etc.

JR356

I have a brand new, never used, Navigator II+ with map V6. I am wondering if I should sell this unit and try to get Navigator III or another GPS model. I am not a hevy "gadget guy" and have been able to travel cross country without the need for such an instrument. I am also new to GPS.

Any advice and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks

Francis

If you decide to sell, let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

tricklidz@yahoo.com

A common misnomer about the BMW Nav III. It doesn't have XM or MP3 capability. Apparently BMW has a contract with Sirius for Satellite radio in the cars and word is BMW didn't want the liability of MP3 on a motorcycle.

I think it was more basic than that. The BMW Zumo does have MP3, but lacks the XM interface. With the Nav III, I believe it was easier for Garmin to simply disable the entire music interface than try to hack out just the XM portion. Garmin had indicated that BMW has an exclusive arrangement with Sirius which explained the lack of XM ... but I had not heard of any liability concern with MP3 on the part of BMW. If there was undue liability around MP3 audio, I don't think so many BMWs would come equipped with AM/FM/CD stereo units.

Archived