IGNORED

New RT

BigAdv

Hi, got my new R1200RT about one ago, and i think im set to do some mods. most things i am sure about from all the reading that i have done but the one that i dont know about is the seat.

So asking for advice on seats. First my bike has heated seats which i would like to retain, second i want a seat that offers more LD comfort than stock, THAT DOES NOT LOOK STUPID. Sorry harsh word, my piont is I want a seat that looks like it belongs on the bike.

Any feed back would be great

Thanks

Earl

Earl, don't be sorry, just don't use a harsh word.

The way of phrasing that would be, "I would prefer a seat that does not have the bulbous appearance of a Russell"

Russell owners will not then be offended or feel they have to defend their choice by saying that it is the most comfortable seat ever.

Regards,

John (running stock seat + Airhawk)

Not sure what is wrong with the stock seat. took a 600 mile bike on 2000 mile trip recently, travelling 2 up and found the seat very comfortable (to my surprise)It didn't need breaking in. My wife sat on her seat for the second time the day we left. admittedly we only did a max of 400 miles in our worst day but the seat was as good as anything I've used including a Sargent seat on an 1100RS and a stock 1150RT seat which I found to be very comfortable. For what it's worth, I'm 200lbs, 6ft tall but ride in the lowest seat position. the bike has ESA fitted and the settings were adjusted to either Sport or Normal for 2 up riding. wife is around (or is that a round) 155lbs. oh and heated seats.

You might want to try the stock seat for a bit to see if it suits you. Some like it and some don't. I didn't like it so I sent my heated seats off to Rick Mayer. Rick Mayer can re-do your heated seats and preserve the heater elements. I am very happy with the result and, in my opinion, the seat looks like it belongs on the bike.

I got my stock seat (and pillon) customized at a local shop. For the driver, they reshaped it a bit and added a gel pad. For the driver they built up the front like 2" to get rip of the slope and inserted a gel pad. Both the wifey and I are VERY happy with the outcome - and there was virtually no change to the stock appearance.

"Looks Stupid" is in the eyes of the beholder, but there are certainly several aftermarket seats that retain the stock heat function. Corbin and CeeBailey come to mind.

I have an 06 that I bought used and it came with that ugly bulbous seat. I live in Texas and rode the bike from Midland to Austin where I live, a distance of 300 miles. Russell shouls change the name from Day Long to MINUTE LONG, not only is it ugly but totally uncomfortable for any posterior. I sold it and bought a stock seat now I can ride 500 plus miles without fatigue and it looks great.

Don_Eilenberger
I have an 06 that I bought used and it came with that ugly bulbous seat. I live in Texas and rode the bike from Midland to Austin where I live, a distance of 300 miles. Russell shouls change the name from Day Long to MINUTE LONG, not only is it ugly but totally uncomfortable for any posterior. I sold it and bought a stock seat now I can ride 500 plus miles without fatigue and it looks great.
What you might consider (or not if you care to ignore it..) a Russell seat is made to fit the rider. Since you weren't the original rider who ordered the seat - it likely didn't fit YOUR posterior. I likely did fit the posterior of the person who ordered it just fine.

IMHO: It's rather shortsighted to condemn an entire line of aftermarket seats based on one that wasn't even made for you.

I had a Russell seat made for me that I used on one bike - it was very comfortable. It was sorta ugly, no denial there - but it was comfortable.

You might want to try the stock seat for a bit to see if it suits you. Some like it and some don't. I didn't like it so I sent my heated seats off to Rick Mayer. Rick Mayer can re-do your heated seats and preserve the heater elements. I am very happy with the result and, in my opinion, the seat looks like it belongs on the bike.

I agree with Andrew. I opted for Rick's leather version and it adds a luxorious look and feel to the seat. I also liked the fact that I was able to have only the rider's seat done at considerable savings. The only downside is that you will be without your seat for a few weeks.

Tom

If the 'stupid' looking feature you're referring to is the wide rear end (aka 'wings') of a seat then I'm not sure that you can separate out that form from function. For long-distance comfort you must avoid concentrating all your weight on your tailbone/buttocks and the only way to avoid this is to provide ample support for the thighs. You can try to minimize the rear width of the seat in an attempt for better appearance but in the end (no pun intended) it just won't work as well on the road. DAMHIK.

I picked up my new RT two days ago. I have put about 200 miles each day since doing engine break in exercises. My backside was fairly uncomfortable last night.

I can not wait to get the seat modified next week with Rick Mayer in Anderson,CA. The butt wrenching exercise to get there will be slightly alleviated by Elf foot pegs and perhaps an Airhawk seat pad.

I also added Ohlin shocks and Metzler tires during the setup along with the Bakup back rest.

So asking for advice on seats. First my bike has heated seats which i would like to retain, second i want a seat that offers more LD comfort than stock, THAT DOES NOT LOOK STUPID. Sorry harsh word, my piont is I want a seat that looks like it belongs on the bike.

Any feed back would be great

Thanks

Earl

I found the stock seat to be very soft which I thought I was going to enjoy at first. It was good for a hundred miles and after that was no good for me.

I had a Russell on a R11RS that was made for me and was very good, I had a Rich's on a K12RS, leather with a gel pad insert.....gel pads feel like you are sitting on a slab of cold steak ( no thanks), I am in the process (<1k) of breaking in a Rick Mayer leather seat. I had the front half last w/e for about 800miles and just recieved the back today. Looks nice and was comfortable.

That seat looks good. part of the problem I have with the more 'bulbus' seats is that I like to 'actively ride' my bikes. I find the 'wings' limit free and smooth butt movement during sporty riding. Kind of like trying to drag your knee on a ultraglide - just not suited. So I am looking for a compromize I guess.

Thanks for the input

Earl

Archived