IGNORED

Packwood is it!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Packwood is wide open for the dates of July 8-11. I want to put the Un there. Suggest the Timberline Lodge & RV Park, http://www.timberlinewhitepass.com/ as headquarters. The owner is thinking about deals if we book the entire place. As far as how many tents we can put up, he just wants his money and we can put however many we want into the space. The downside is that there aren't showers at the RV site, but I'd be willing to rent two rooms for the sole purpose of showers and bathroom facilities. We can roll that into the overall cost for tents.

Or we can do the typical KOA type camground here: http://www.passport-america.com/campgrou...ark/Default.asp Roxanne (owner gal) said she'd put us together on a group of RV sites and would do a special deal.

I'll see if I can map these individual spots for proximity.

Comments?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

It's 4.2 miles between the Packwood RV Park and the Timberline Lodge. The Timberline guy said he could cater a BBQ for up to 500, go we're good there too, with verification of his abilities.

Timberline sounds pretty good. How close are other motels if more than 22 rooms are needed? I'll bet we'll fill all 22 rooms if they're available, especially if we need a couiple for shower facilities. Has anyone seen the two places in person?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Likewise. Unfortunately I can't go for at least two weekends. Steve, can you an Bill make a trip down there? I'm not convinced that the one lodge is the best for headquarters...I think we might be able to find something closer to the campground. I'll do a little mapping comparison later this afternoon.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
TOR is July 24-27, the weekend AFTER MOA.
Cool. The way it was reported to me seemed like it was tentative. So should we do the Un the 8th-11th or the 9th-11th? I guess we could finish on Saturday the 12th, but I want to avoid the weekenders. Thoughts?

I will go down on Sunday, scout and report. Send specific questions etc. Will take camera a post pictures. Supposed to rain pretty hard so a good ride to test the Honda ST 1300. OBTW that's my new ride and how sweet it is!!!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I will go down on Sunday, scout and report. Send specific questions etc. Will take camera a post pictures. Supposed to rain pretty hard so a good ride to test the Honda ST 1300. OBTW that's my new ride and how sweet it is!!!
Will post the Qs here. Bring some good gloves and scrub in those tires. thumbsup.gif
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Go here for how the different hotels layout on a city map: LINKY

If you refer to this link for descriptions http://www.destinationpackwood.com/lodging.cfm then the hotels layout top to bottom as such:

Timberline Lodge (20 rooms)

Crest Trail Lodge (27 rooms)

Tatoosh Motel (12 rooms)

Cowlitz River Lodge (31 rooms)

Inn at Packwood (34 rooms)

Packwood RV Park

The bottom 3 are within 0.6 miles of each other. I admit that my wacky idea of renting rooms to serve as bathrooms at Timberline, was, well...wacky. Bad idea. However, seeing how close the last 3 are suggests that HQ should be close to camping.

The biggest unknowns are local restaurants and ability to host a large group(s). Steve, I'd have you concentrate primarily on restaurants for your Sunday site visit. I'm not worried about group dinners...I know enough caterers in the Western WA area that I'm sure I can find someone down that direction. And I'm sure we can find a room like we had in Gunny to gather.

There are more hotels than listed, incl rental cabins, B&Bs, etc.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hey Leslie,

Any particular reason why we couldn't go public with this now? I can write something up and we can post dates and lodging arrangements. I feel good about taking the photos at face value, we need to iron out the pricing, but the other pieces are falling into place. We've got enough motels and camping, the catered meals are sorted and I know that the highway has just been reopened (hwy 123 lost 80 feet due to the freakish rains we got last winter).

Comments?

Are we still talking about camping with no bathrooms?

It's pretty important that your HQ have a place for people to hang out together in the evening and share a brew or whatever.

All of your pricing and your HQ should be set before you let the whole cat out of the bag. Otherwise, experience says that people will run with any incomplete info and things will be taken right out of your hands.

You can announce dates and state before your arrangements are complete to help people with their planning. If you're close to complete with your wheeling and dealing--like within the next week--we can just open the new UN forum with the official announcement.

I'll put up the new UN Forum and start it off with the official intro of you as Unorganizer. I'll leave it to you to intro your team. When you go official, we'll put the location and dates into the header and sticky the announcement post to the top.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

No to the camping without bathrooms bad-idea-from-earlier. This is the new camping spot, much like KOA campgrounds: LINKY

Description reads, in part: 85 total mostly wooded RV sites, can accommodate RVs up to 40 ft, full hook-ups, 30 amp service, on site laundry and showers, cable TV, walking distance to shopping and dining.

Agree totally to settling on prices before releasing info. I hope to have that done w/in the next two weeks. I fly to Chicago on Monday and hope that I can have things polished by then, regards to lodging anyway.

You and Jamie have to stay at the campground...if you zoom in on the MAP you'll see that it sits right on Edmonds Rd. smile.gif

Cool!

The Unrally VII forum is open. I put up the first post. You're on. I do encourage you to go ahead and release the dates and general area of the state. It will get people excited and also keep them at bay for a bit while they start making their vacation plans.

Just weighing in on the dates - they're all fine to me. Now I can plan a long one and visit my daughter a bit too.

Packwood is near Vader, so the Makster may be able to accomodate some as well. Looks good so far.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Packwood is near Vader, so the Makster may be able to accomodate some as well. Looks good so far.
Vader is still ~80 miles from HQ, so it might be a before/after kind of thing. I'll let him post his own topic after the location is announced sometime next week, should he feel generous. smile.gif
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I'll try my best to do it Friday, no promises.

Val and I are road-tripping down there on Friday. I need to take a day off before I head to Chicago and work 7 straight days.

Archived