IGNORED

Replacing ABS pump?

Huzband

The ABS pump on my '00 1150GS went out a while back. I was planning on selling the bike, so I didn't replace it, I just lowered the price accordingly. No luck, so I may be forced to replace it. I've found a used one, so I won't have to pony up for a new one at $1800+. eek.gif

I reviewed the manual, & it looks like a pretty daunting task. It also states that there several steps that MUST be performed by a dealer. But I'm wondering, is it really that big a deal. I'd rather do the bulk of the work myself, then truck it down to the dealer to finish it up. What do you think?

Input & wisdom appreciated.

For all that much money and the chances of very little return for your investment (I tried to sell my '04 GS a while back, good luck!) I would just bypass the whole abs/pump assy, hook the brakes up like a conventional bike, and sell it as that.

All that is needed to do the changeover is to bypass the abs unit by having short conecting tubes bent to go from the master cylinder hoses to the wheel cylinder hoses...all the rest is the same as a non abs bike ( as seen on adv rider )

I plan, should the need arise, to go full manual if my abs/pump assy goes bad.

If I were keeping the bike, that's exactly what I would do. I couldn't care less about ABS.

But evidently, the majority of BMW buyers do care about it.

Therefore, in the interest of unloading the bike, for the sake of funding a ride for The Wife, I need to restore said ABS in the most fiscally responsible manner.

It's not that tough. Replace the pump then go through all the ABS Servo brakes bleed procedure for all four hydraulic circuits. There is a linked to the procedure here in the FAQ section. You'll be ready to roll/sell.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ken. That's what I was hoping for, though not counting on.

BTW, mine doesn't have servos, so that should simplify things. thumbsup.gif

I thought all 2000 R1150xx where servo? But in any case, if not it's MUCH easier. Replace the pump and bleed just like any conventional brake system.

The ABS pump on my '00 1150GS went out a while back. I was planning on selling the bike, so I didn't replace it, I just lowered the price accordingly. No luck, so I may be forced to replace it. I've found a used one, so I won't have to pony up for a new one at $1800+. eek.gif

I reviewed the manual, & it looks like a pretty daunting task. It also states that there several steps that MUST be performed by a dealer. But I'm wondering, is it really that big a deal. I'd rather do the bulk of the work myself, then truck it down to the dealer to finish it up. What do you think?

Input & wisdom appreciated.

Danny,

One other thing to check. Is that used unit from a R1150GS?

If not it 'may' need to be 'recoded' by a BMW service jockey. Some of the techs know how to use the GT-1 to do that, others do not. frown.gif

The replacement is pretty simple. One connector and the brake lines. There should also be a +12V wire directly from the Alternator + terminal that goes to the ABS relay inside the unit. If you do it, I would suggest removing all three calipers. Put a thin piece of wood between all the pads. Pump the brakes to extend all the pistons (this puts LOTS of fluid in the calipers).

Next, swap the ABS unit and tighten all lines. When you are done, spread all the pads as far back as you can before installing the calipers. Ensure you have room in the reservoirs as you do this so you don't overflow them.

This method 'should' push all the air bubbles back into the master cylinder reservoirs. I would go through and bleed the system with new fluid when done.

This process has worked for me several times and I had no air in the system when done. Works well when replacing a master cylinder too.

The ABS unit only has about 2 tablespoons of fluid for each circuit in small chambers. You could overfill the fittings at the ABS unit as you connect the lines to prevent some of the air.

Mick

Archived