IGNORED

replacing ABS brake fluid?

elkroeger

How many of you guys replace your own ABS brake fluid? Should I just flush it out as with the non-ABS procedure? Anything special to worry about?

(it's a '96 1100rs)

Thanks - my Haynes manual seems to be intentionally vague on this one....

e

e,

Just do it thumbsup.gif

You probably have the easiest brake job.

I do mine with the (often damned!) EVO system. Yes, the EVO brake job does require a little more attention but is definitely doable....yours is infinitely easier thumbsup.gif

Replace it yourself. It's easy on your bike. I have a '95 R1100RS and always do it myself using a mytivac. I don't bother to bleed the ABS under the gas tank (there is some debate on this). You only need to bleed it at the brake calipers. Go to ibmwr.org site for the procedures uner R1100 tech section.

I recently bled my r1100r all around. I did the rear caliper first. Then the rear circuit from the ABS unit under the tank. You would not believe the amount of almost black stuff that came out of the ABS unit. Then I did the same on the fronts and front ABS unit. Same story. Lots of black guck after the bleed at the caliper was clear.

I will bleed ABS routinely now as part of the job. It's not a big deal for me (just the tank to remove).

The only special gear I had was a bleed cup with the hoses and rubber adapters to fit the nipples. You can do it yourself quite easily. Just make sure to a)cover the area with plastic to keep any spills off the paint and b) remember to place the lid back on the reservoir between fills (they squirt!).

Edit: On my bike, they both feed from the same reservoir. Just fill, pump and bleed from the appropriate nipple on the ABS. If I remember correctly the '96 r1100r has the rear circuit on the left, front on the right of the ABS pair.

I concur with GlenT, the first time I bled the ABS ('97 RT)unit I got a lot of black fluid (and a little air in the rear cct) even though I did and end to end bleed every year! Its easy to do, good luck.

Dave

Replace it yourself. It's easy on your bike. I have a '95 R1100RS and always do it myself using a mytivac. I don't bother to bleed the ABS under the gas tank (there is some debate on this). You only need to bleed it at the brake calipers. Go to ibmwr.org site for the procedures uner R1100 tech section. [/

Mike T., I thought I had read some place on this board not to use a mity-vac on the bleeder nipples. Any body remember why ? Or is my brain acting up again from these wonderful cancer drugs? Regards,, Michael

Mike T., I thought I had read some place on this board not to use a mity-vac on the bleeder nipples. Any body remember why ? Or is my brain acting up again from these wonderful cancer drugs? Regards,, Michael

I've used a mytivac to bleed my breaks for the last 7 years. At one point I replaced my rubber brake lines with stainless and bleed the entier system including the ABS under the tank all using the mytivac. I do recall reading somewhere that the mytivac was not recommended on the linked brake system but I do not recall why.

I thought I had read some place on this board not to use a mity-vac on the bleeder nipples. Any body remember why ?
BMW cautions against it, as drawing fluid through the ABS unit when it is off could damage it.

That being said, I've never heard of it being an issue on the non-servo assist bikes.

But personally I'm opposed to any vacuuming type brake bleeding approach because the potential to draw foreign contaminated into the system, even dirt and dust around a bleeder, is higher than when you are using a pressurized approach to push fluid and contaminates out. But then that's just my opinion.

Archived