IGNORED

Riding California's magnificent coast - highway 1 in photos.

eyesurgeon

I took the day off today and rode highway 1 between Cambria and Monterey. I’ve been looking forward to this all summer. I left my home at 6 AM, still dark, and rode 2.5 hrs straight to Cambria nonstop.

Unlike my first time riding hwy 1 last Thanksgiving when it was bone-chilling and foggy, when I arrived in Cambria the sun was out with not a cloud in the sky and the air was balmy. I shed all my layers and did the rest of the ride wearing my airflow gear.

What a perfect day to ride hwy 1! Being a Tuesday there was very little traffic. This truly is the most glorious of all roads for motorcycling and simply must be done at least once. I took my time and made lots of stops as I rode northward headed towards Rocky Point Restaurant where I had reservations for lunch. And as always I took some pictures to share those who might be interested.

The trusty GT. Last time I did this ride I had my C50. Either one is just fine for this amazing road.

CIMG1908.jpg

Just North of Cambria, the views don’t take long to appear.

CIMG1911.jpg

That’s Hurst Castle in the distance. Sorry about the power lines.

CIMG1913.jpg

Those rocks are white for a reason. Think birds.

CIMG1915.jpg

Beautiful.

CIMG1916.jpg

CIMG1917.jpg

The views are so amazing you sometimes forget that the road is a blast to ride.

CIMG1921.jpg

A lighthouse I assume?

CIMG1922.jpg

Doesn’t get much clearer than this at 9 AM on the coast when more often than not, it’s foggy.

CIMG1929.jpg

More zoom…

CIMG1931.jpg

Vistas around every corner.

CIMG1933.jpg

My favorite on this ride are the bridges. They are beautiful. Here are a few shots.

CIMG1934.jpg

CIMG1935.jpg

CIMG1936.jpg

CIMG1937.jpg

CIMG1938.jpg

CIMG1940.jpg

Another lighthouse…

CIMG1945.jpg

Another amazing view…

CIMG1947.jpg

With more zoom…

CIMG1948.jpg

CIMG1950.jpg

Pretty rock island.

CIMG1951.jpg

Bixby Bridge. Built in 1932 and still gorgeous. The iconic view of hwy 1.

CIMG1952.jpg

CIMG1955.jpg

Bixby.

CIMG1960.jpg

CIMG1959.jpg

Pulled into the Rocky Point Restaurant about noon and hungry. It’s just north of Big Sur. I had the deck to myself so I chose the gazebo. Not a bad view for lunch.

CIMG1964.jpg

Of course you really want to see my lunch, right?

CIMG1966.jpg

View from the deck.

CIMG1963.jpg

And a vanity shot of the bike…

CIMG1907.jpg

Wow, what a great ride today. About 420 miles and enjoyed every one of them. I managed to make it home by about 3:30. Can’t wait until the next time!

Of course you really want to see my lunch, right?

CIMG1966.jpg

There's food in that photo??? I just see the iPhone. tongue.gif

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing them. Looks like you had fun.

Yeah highway 1 is beautiful. Some 12 years ago I drove all the way up to Big Sur (by car frown.gif). I think I had lunch in the same restaurant. Rocky Point, is that the former Orson Welles villa? I'm not sure anymore. Carmel was nice too. Those pics bring back memories.. thumbsup.gif

Always enjoy your posts. You have a good ...errrruuuhhmm... eye. thumbsup.gif

I've been making a list of these CA roads you ride... Sonora Pass, this, etc. Need to come spend a month riding CA.... eventually.

Jan

I think I had lunch in the same restaurant. Rocky Point, is that the former Orson Welles villa? I'm not sure anymore. Carmel was nice too.

Ok I did a little research... it wasn't at Rocky Point I had lunch but in Nepenthe restaurant at Big Sur. A very nice place with a fabulous view. And the connection with Rita Hayworth and Orson Welles is here : http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/stories/rita_orson.html

Fantastic road and good pictures. One of those bridges used to be called Bronson's bridge, referring to that old short-lived TV series, "Then came Bronson."

You picked the right time of year for the ride: before the winter fog and after the tourists have departed. I try to do the road twice a year, fall and spring. I live near LA and my brother is in San Jose. Visiting him is a good pretext for doing Big Sur!

Nice photos! We are at the Portola in Monterey right now and plan to spend the night at Rocky Point on the way back.

This trip I have the camera thumbsup.gif Unfortunatly we are driving a bus well a Ford Expedition anyway. bncry.gif

Niiiiiice! Been there and seen ALL of your shots many times over the last 15 years. I never get tired of riding it and seeing the coastline. Your timing is great since I will be up there next weekend. Thanks for the pics and the ride tale.

I've driven almost all the way down from Tillamook to LA one time for work(had time to kill:)). Always wanted to go back and do it on a bike. Northern California and Oregon is absolutely beautiful. Nice pics!

Great shots - I lived in Monterey 1966-70 ... drove that road often and rode it a few times on a Honda 90 and a Hodaka Ace-90 ... it's on the short list for a return trip - your pics just moved it up the list quite a few notches.

Great and nostalgic shots Rodney, thanks. Although I grew up in west Texas, I spent most of my adult life on or next to the sea. Some board members did a Lighthouse Tour several years ago, your pics bring back fond memories of that ride.

Having spent some of my youth in Arroyo Grande near Pismo Beach, I remember these roads and thoroughly enjoyed the pics. How about going inland and taking some photos of San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Atascadero and riding the vinyard roads. Lots of fun and include a visit inland in the Santa Cruz mountains. Wow, what memories and such great photos. My sentimental favorite roads.

Bruce

Archived